SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening all -- I'm looking forward to becoming a soon to be new member of the Volvo community, but in order to do so I have a quick question about what to expect RE: invoice vs. MSRP pricing.

My local dealer has found the exact specs for a car that I'm looking for and I've been quoted a price of 50495 for a 2013 XC60 T6/Savile Grey/Sandstone with the following options:

Platinum Package
Climate Package
Blind Spot Information System(BLIS)
Exterior Styling Kit
Rear Entertainment System(Dual DVD's)

Now -- the entertainment system (apparently) will be installed at the dealership so they are including a 300/fee to install and 500 to ship the car to my location.....I'm willing to pay the 500 and some of the 300 so that I don't have to wait 8-10 weeks for the new car.

According to my calculations...the MSRP (minus delivery/fees/taxes) should be 50145. What's a fair price for this? Keep in mind -- this is a dealer trade....but the car is in a shipping container so it's never been floor-planned by anyone, etc so there is really no cost to any dealer other than the actual car. Is 47-48k a reasonable expectation of price?

Thanks so much to everyone in advance. We're first time Volvo buyers and we have been, so far, blown away by the vehicles -- and I'm looking forward to the opportunity to contribute to/learn from this group.

-HopingForXC60

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
The only thing I have to add is every new 2012 volvo in the KC dealership has $4000 off invoice. I know that is the 2012's, but maybe that will help you negotiate in some fasion.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Do you know if the exterior styling kit was installed at the port or at the dealer? If it's installed at the port, it would be on the window sticker/invoice.

·
Registered
558 Posts
The only thing I have to add is every new 2012 volvo in the KC dealership has $4000 off invoice. I know that is the 2012's, but maybe that will help you negotiate in some fasion.
I doubt it is off of invoice? Probably off of MSRP.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Now -- the entertainment system (apparently) will be installed at the dealership so they are including a 300/fee to install

In the past, the DVD set-up was very expensive compared to very nice 'take with you' systems. Perhaps things have changed, but I don't recall anyone saying the 'factory' system was a good value. Apologies if things have changed in the past couple of years...our Scottie-dog isn't allowed to watch 'TV' on trips. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well. Looks like I'll have to change my name from 'hoping' to 'newly received' between now and the end of the month :)

Thanks for everyones input. Just to answer the question about the DVD....there probably are good (if not better) 'take along' units, but we really like the look and feel of the integrated model and are willing to pay for that. It's also nice to know that they are going to be in the car when you need them -- we usually only allow them on long trips anyway, but it definitely helps to cut down on clutter, etc.

I got a price that was probably 750-1000 above invoice. Definitely what I was willing to pay and what I think was fair to all parties involved.

As for the question RE: the Exterior Styling kit it is from the factory. We would probably not have chosen it (we love the sides and back...could live w/out the front and may do something about that soon) but this was the exact car we wanted otherwise and we really didn't want to have to wait the 8-10 weeks to order one given the state of my current transportation :)

All in all we are really happy with the transaction/sales service and I'm still shocked that we drove about everything under the sun before coming to the Volvo dealership. The XC60 is such a great little SUV -- that doesn't feel like a mini-SUV and drives GREAT.

~j

p.s. -- has anyone added on Polestar after the fact? Thoughts/Impressions? Is it just a software/ECU upgrade at the dealer?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well. Looks like I'll have to change my name from 'hoping' to 'newly received' between now and the end of the month :)

Thanks for everyones input. Just to answer the question about the DVD....there probably are good (if not better) 'take along' units, but we really like the look and feel of the integrated model and are willing to pay for that. It's also nice to know that they are going to be in the car when you need them -- we usually only allow them on long trips anyway, but it definitely helps to cut down on clutter, etc.

I got a price that was probably 750-1000 above invoice. Definitely what I was willing to pay and what I think was fair to all parties involved.

As for the question RE: the Exterior Styling kit it is from the factory. We would probably not have chosen it (we love the sides and back...could live w/out the front and may do something about that soon) but this was the exact car we wanted otherwise and we really didn't want to have to wait the 8-10 weeks to order one given the state of my current transportation :)

All in all we are really happy with the transaction/sales service and I'm still shocked that we drove about everything under the sun before coming to the Volvo dealership. The XC60 is such a great little SUV -- that doesn't feel like a mini-SUV and drives GREAT.

~j

p.s. -- has anyone added on Polestar after the fact? Thoughts/Impressions? Is it just a software/ECU upgrade at the dealer?
The dealer installed units are pretty good. So much so that we never ordered any cars with the factory system. The nice part is that you can play two movies at the same time, great if you have two kids you need to divide the world between. But if they're charging you an extra install fee, that's really a no-no. It says right in the customer accessory guide that it's $1904.49 installed, anything more and they're just trying to soak you for some cash.

As long as the kit is on the invoice, it's not such a big deal. If it was installed at the dealership, then it's a big deal.

We've only done a small handful of Polestar upgrades, but the customers are happy with them. Mostly people who want the R-Design performance but don't like the interior of the R-Designs. It's all software, no hardware mods involved. What the customers love most about it is that it's a Volvo Genuine Accessory, so it's covered under warranty.

·
Registered
62 Posts
For what is worth. My car deal on the R design last week was invoice, minus $2000 in rebates (approx $4k off of MSRP) and Volvo makes the first four payments capped at $450/mo.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah Frank. the 2012s were on some really good deals -- but we couldn't find one anywhere configured anywhere close to what we wanted that was a 2012 (premium sound was NOT an option was not something we wanted to live w/out) and given that we will keep the car for probably 6 years we went with the one we could get that was what we wanted.

Thats definitely a great deal -- I'm a little jealous, but not regretful ;)

Glad to be part of the club and taking delivery in hopefully less than 2 weeks!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Anxious to see pics, etc. Should be one of the first 2013s on the board!

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Anxious to see pics, etc. Should be one of the first 2013s on the board!
Our local dealer has a couple dozen...only a few T6 and NO R-design. Nothing over $45,700 and that's a 3.2. Interesting.

A grand over invoice sounds pretty darned good this early in the 2013 game! Enjoy the new ride!!! We're still 'on the fence' regarding our possible swap of our '10. It really is a VERY nice vehicle!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I hear ya... There were no Platinum Package R's anywhere within 500 miles in the color we wanted, so we ended up with the premium plus and added the Nav to get the color we wanted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
First Volvo. Let me know if price sounds about right

I hear ya... There were no Platinum Package R's anywhere within 500 miles in the color we wanted, so we ended up with the premium plus and added the Nav to get the color we wanted.
2012 xc60 3.2
Pretty basic with Sticker at $40,000.
I can buy for $38,200 and get the $1800 in free payments. Net $36,000 for a new Volvo.
Does that sound in the ballpark?

·
Registered
130 Posts
My math wasn't right.
Sticker 40,000
Discount $2200
4 Payments from volvo $1800
Net $36,000
Let me know.
thanks
Every dealer I talked to in the Chicago area was willing to sell any 2012 or 2013 at invoice without even me mentioning that i have "A Plan" certificate. I just tell them all that i dont buy cars above invoice. If that discount brings you below invoice, great, if not, there is more room to negotiate, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
My math wasn't right.
Sticker 40,000
Discount $2200
4 Payments from volvo $1800
Net $36,000
Let me know.
thanks
Not accounting for the $1800 Volvo contribution, $2200 off sticker might not be the 'killer' deal that others have found on a '12 at this late date.(Sounds like it's pretty close to invoice or a few hundred below.) Somebody always has a tale of 'a couple thousand off invoice' as the deal they scored. That would be a little tougher on a basic model compared to one with another 6-10 grand in 'packages'.

However, the total discount is what matters and the $1800 from Volvo is nothing to sneeze at. There 'might' be talk of $1000 loyalty money or 'conversion' discount...if that's not part of your deal, you might ask about it.

I'm afraid we've been spoiled by all the tech, convenience and safety goodies of almost fully-equipped Volvos over the past decade. I'd be tickled to find a new XC for <$40K :thumbup: A 'base' XC60 is really an excellent vehicle for the money!

Good luck with the purchase...enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi all... my wife and I just bought our first Volvo on Monday... just thought I'd throw it out there for price comp so people see deals available....I live in the Philly area

'12 XC60 T6 AWD
Premium Plus
Climate Package
BLIS
Nav Prep (all dealers around here have it)
MSRP: $43,870
Invoice: $41,290
My Price: $39,450

Then I got the 4 first payments paid by Volvo up to $450 each and 2.49% APR

And just a heads up...When you buy, they might try to sell you on another financing option that doesn't give the first 4 payments but has a lower APR and thus lower monthly payment. It might sound better, but in my case I did the math quickly and it was a poor financial decision to go with the option they presented (and think about it, why would they offer you something better if you already agreed to another deal).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow!
I think you got a great deal. My wife and I are getting close to buying, but haven't pulled the trigger.

Gonna have to re-visit my dealer and see what he can do.

Sticker on the 2012 XC60 AWD we are looking at is $40,070, didn't see invoice, but they would sell it for $37770. Savings of $2300.
You paid $1680 more for a car that stickered for $3800 more.
I'm sure there is plenty of mark-ups in the options, but I am also sure they are worth the extra.
Thanks for the info. If anyone else has a comparison, I would love to see before we do the deal.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Wow!
I think you got a great deal. My wife and I are getting close to buying, but haven't pulled the trigger.

Gonna have to re-visit my dealer and see what he can do.

Sticker on the 2012 XC60 AWD we are looking at is $40,070, didn't see invoice, but they would sell it for $37770. Savings of $2300.
You paid $1680 more for a car that stickered for $3800 more.
I'm sure there is plenty of mark-ups in the options, but I am also sure they are worth the extra.
Thanks for the info. If anyone else has a comparison, I would love to see before we do the deal.
That's right at invoice on a '12...we want you to do better! From what I've seen, the options don't have a tremendous margin built in(20% for the dealer, maybe); but, the higher the sticker, the better the discount 'should' be.
You would still deduct the $1800 in payments 'from' Volvo, yes? IF you are already a Volvo customer, there should be $1K loyalty money.
You could also get 1.99% loan rate from PenFed without any trouble, if you don't want to go with Volvo(US Bank) for some reason.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts