SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While at the dealer today a salesman told me that there had been a price increase in the middle of the 06 model year such that the same 06 type R could be 1% more expensive depending on whether it was built before january or not. He explained that this was why the invoice pricing I found on Edmunds.com was incorrect (but kbb is correct at about 400 more) however he had no actual invoices to show me which reflected that, just one he wrote for me about a car I wanted to order. According to him this is common practice of all manufacturers, can anyone tell me if they know about this mid-year price increase and if its true? <p>Thanks.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Yes, it happends. Pricing can be adjusted as often as monthly. I had an interesting conversation at dealership in Seattle where I bought my Denali about this subject.<br>I had been outside looking at some stickers, and I couldn't figure out why the MSRP had gone up from my identical truck just two months later.

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
Re: Price Increase ??? (jonecasey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>jonecasey</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">While at the dealer today a salesman told me that there had been a price increase in the middle of the 06 model year such that the same 06 type R could be 1% more expensive depending on whether it was built before january or not. He explained that this was why the invoice pricing I found on Edmunds.com was incorrect (but kbb is correct at about 400 more) however he had no actual invoices to show me which reflected that, just one he wrote for me about a car I wanted to order. According to him this is common practice of all manufacturers, can anyone tell me if they know about this mid-year price increase and if its true? <p>Thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>This is true . . . what you were told is sort of correct.<p>Any vehicle that is INVOICED (i.e. the dealer receives the invoice for the car and pays VCNA for the vehicle) post 01/01/06 saw a 1% increase on the base MSRP. That equates to about 400 bucks, give or take depending on the model. When the vehicle was actually built is irrelevant. <p>There is a difference between MSRP and incentives. Volvo's incentive programs change on practically a month-to-month basis. That is any money that VCNA chooses to give to the retailer as a "bonus" for selling a particular model. The retailer can then choose to pass this incentive on to the consumer, or not. The retailer pays full invoice price for the vehicle . . . only after it is sold does the retailer receive this incentive money. <p>So for instance, let's say you're looking at two different R's. Vehicle A was invoiced 12/13/05. Vehicle B was invoiced 01/03/06. Both are identical . . . same equipment, color, etc. (These figures are purely for illustrative purposes) . . . so vehicle A's invoice cost is 43000; that's how much the retailer actually paid VCNA to place the car on their lot. Vehicle B's invoice cost to the dealer is 43450 (why? because it was invoiced after 01/01/06 and has a 1% base MSRP increase).<p>Now let's say there's a 2000 incentive out there (cash to the retailer), and your retailer is a nice one and chooses to pass the incentive on to you. And, let's say they're really nice, and will sell you either R at their cost. Vehicle A therefore costs 41000. Vehicle B costs 41450. Their equipment, color combo, etc. is identical . . . the only reason one costs more than the other is due to when the vehicle was invoiced. <p>So anyways, the long answer to your question is yes, the mid-year price increase is true.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Re: Price Increase ??? (jonecasey)

Darned inflation. It's a real-world force. But be happy that the R is priced as well as it is. My 1996 850R wagon was $39.3k before taxes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts