SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a good mileage to consider installing new bearings (F/R) before they fail?

I have tracked the car several times, and have engine and suspension mods (see sig). I imagine all these things serve to shorten the lifespan of certain moving parts, I'm just wondering how much.

Current mileage is 72k, give or take.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I will be ordering new ones for the rear, and I'm at around 85k miles on my 2005. I don't track my R but there are quite a few pot holes in the Chicagoland area and unfortunately you cannot avoid them all... Car came from Detroit previously. I would inspect them all and replace them for good measure if you have the funds and find any play whatsoever.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
What is a good mileage to consider installing new bearings (F/R) before they fail?

I have tracked the car several times, and have engine and suspension mods (see sig). I imagine all these things serve to shorten the lifespan of certain moving parts, I'm just wondering how much.

Current mileage is 72k, give or take.

i was alway of the opinion to replace when they start getting noisy or you notice play in them. I mean if pockets are full of money waiting to be spent and you are well over 100k, you could replace them but i wouldn't on a whim.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I do have some noise, but can't tell if it's tire noise or bearing noise. Kumho Ecstas got a horrible noise rating, so I'm hoping its just that. But do I want to bet? Not really...

And the roads around here are terrible, so yes, that worries me too...

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
They will just get noisier and noisier. But you should be due soon with those numbers and activities.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Mine just got replaced at 104k when I went in to get new tires and man, the car feels so much better! No noise and no vibration in my steering wheel.

On the highway my car would shake pretty badly and was really noisy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What was the noise? High pitched whirring or low pitched groan?

·
Registered
3,385 Posts

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
What was the noise? High pitched whirring or low pitched groan?
I don't know how to describe the noise but it was loud and more like a "wha wha wha wha wha" more so a whirring noise then a groan.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Wait for the Whirring and jump on the install then...I let it go for too long and I was 100 miles away from home with 5 miles of AAA roadside coverage...Luckily the girlfriend's parents at the time had the 100 mile plan...It's a quick and easy install with some air tools.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Wait for the Whirring and jump on the install then...I let it go for too long and I was 100 miles away from home with 5 miles of AAA roadside coverage...Luckily the girlfriend's parents at the time had the 100 mile plan...It's a quick and easy install with some air tools.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There really isn't a worse sound than a bad wheel bearing it sounds like hell is trying to open a portal in your hub...while shedding mysterious dust of death.
Thank you for this, then I do indeed have bad rear wheel bearings. I was wondering why my wheels were so dusty after 2 road trips! I was like "I'm hardly braking, where is it all coming from!???!?!?!"

Again, I had the high pitched whirring, but 2 mechanics thought it was my tires, since there was some minor cupping in them AND there was no play in the wheels. Another thing they asked me to look for was whether the noise got louder while turning or changing lanes. Since it didnt, they ruled out bearings.

Looks like FCP will be getting a call today! Does it matter whether I use genuine volvo or is G.M.B. or F.A.G. (yes, thats a real brand) ok?

http://www.fcpeuro.com/Volvo-parts/S60/Wheel-Bearings-and-Hubs/?e=2105&m=182&year=2004

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Get the F.A.G. bearings. The G.M.Bs are a bit flaky, as I recently had to replace one on my R as the bearing sensor seal started to go, bearing was still good but it was tripping the ABS sensor. Oh and what sucks with their lifetime warranty is that it's only valid if these bearings are put in at the dealer, but the dealer won't touch them since they are aftermarket. So you'll likely get an indie or DIY it, which voids their lifetime warranty. If you can get a Volvo Tech to put it in at the cost of dealer labour, but for $90 a bearing, I'd rather not pay for labor at $120/hr just for this lifetime warranty.

As for preventative maintenance, just buy a few of these and simply stock pile them when FCP has a sale (1 for fronts and 1 for rears) incase one starts failing. I wouldn't replace a bearing if they don't start going, some can last for 100K some can last for 20K, and since they aren't really that hard to replace (not much more than rotors etc) I would just leave them on my R spare parts shelf.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So you wouldnt just replace them in pairs?

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
So you wouldnt just replace them in pairs?
What for? I would only replace the one in question. Likewise if it was a drive axle. It's not a suspension related component where alignment would be a major issue, perhaps I'm wrong.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
i was alway of the opinion to replace when they start getting noisy or you notice play in them. I mean if pockets are full of money waiting to be spent and you are well over 100k, you could replace them but i wouldn't on a whim.
+1

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Urinalcake, have you removed the whee(s)l and rotated the rotor/bearing(s) by the axle bolt, similar to what I did in the video with a ratchet? Have you narrowed it down to which corner of the car the noise is originating?

I second DevolvR's comments about not needing to replace them in pairs. It doesn't hurt anything if you do, it just costs the extra time/money of replacing two compared to replacing one. Perhaps if you've already set aside a Saturday afternoon to do the wrenching, adding the second one is just a little more time & money, rather than setting aside another afternoon/evening.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Honestly I havent done any troubleshooting yet, its been raining here and I dont have a garage. I'm just trying to figure out what to order at this point. Even if I dont replace them all, I will probably at least order enough to do all four, its not like they will go bad if I dont use them ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts