SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I purchased my 2006 S40 2.4i the alternator belt snapped severing the AC suction line. The system was evacuated professionally of all refrigerant and I am about to replace the line however, when I engaged the AC the clutch on the compressor doesn't activate...I'm curious if this is the pressure switch preventing it from doing so as there is no gas in it? Or if I in fact need a new compressor as well? Hate to refill the system only to have to evaciate it again and replace the compressor. Dont really have the money to have it tested

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Ummm yes...there is a pressure switch. No the compressor will not turn itself on before the system is pressurized - as running a compressor without oil in will mean you will most definitely have to buy a new compressor...

·
Registered
505 Posts
you can't evacuate an a/c system with a severed line. You have to replace the line, pull a vacuum, make sure there are no leaks, then recharge. The compressor will not run without refrigerant in the system. Should other components have been replaced and a system flush performed? some would say yes.....to me, it depends on how long you drove around with the severed line and the system exposed to the air....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts