SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So I brought my car to my Volvo independent to see why my climate control all of a sudden went dead. And as soon as he got in my car he noticed that my clutch felt off. I replaced my clutch last august with a new Volvo one (pressure plate, clutch, TOB, and slave cylinder). He asked me if i loaded the springs on the pressure plate. I had absolutely no idea what he was talking about until i looked at my old one. How important is this? I haven't seen a lot of information about it.

I'm going to be replacing my transmission in a couple of weeks, so is there any way to tell if the springs on my PP came pre-loaded, and if not, is there any way to do it while i have my transmission out?

TIA,
Seamus

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the climate control just randomly went dead when i started my car, and my indy said it happened because my traction control is broken and the modules cant complete a full circuit.

But no, the clutch didnt fall off. Im talking about the springs on the pressure plate. He said they have to be loaded once the PP and clutch are bolted onto the transmission. He showed me a tool that looked like this http://media.photobucket.com/image/volvo pressure plate tool/BlackT5/DSC02339.jpg

My car seems to drive fine but im just wondering how important "loading" the springs are

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
new clutches from volvo usually come loaded. I replaced my clutch 2 years ago and it came with the springs preloaded. Did you buy an oem clutch?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i got it through FCP groton who had to get it through a dealer, so im almost positive that its an OEM clutch. Its just weird how he said my clutch felt weird as soon as he got in and pointed out the pressure plate springs.

·
Registered
157 Posts
what does loaded springs mean?
i have replaced two clutch, one on my 2.4T and my girlfriend's t5, just placed the clutch's parts in the flywheel and slided in the gearbox, works great.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what does loaded springs mean?
i have replaced two clutch, one on my 2.4T and my girlfriend's t5, just placed the clutch's parts in the flywheel and slided in the gearbox, works great.
Haha i thought mine was fine too until my mechanic said my clutch felt weird. but it seems to work fine for me, but i wont know until i replace my transmission.

I think the springs set the self adjusting part of the clutch that keep the tension as the clutch disk wears out but im not positive.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
If it's working fine I wouldn't take his word for it. Different cars can fool you. I just went on vacation where I spent a week driving automatic Volvos, exactly the same as my own, and when I got back my clutch felt weird. After about 10 minutes of driving I got used to it again.

Yours probably felt weird to him because it's under a year old.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts