SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang, forum newbie here. I've been reading some of the old threads over the last few days and am looking for some input. I'd really like to hear about the little (and big) things that annoy you and the things that you like about the Cross Country.

I'm looking to replace my 2005 VW Passat 4motion wagon with 125,000 miles (all mine). I pretty much have it narrowed down to a 2015.5 V60 Cross Country or 2015 CPO allroad with 6,000 miles (if I can get my price). Prior to the '05 Passat, I had a 2000 VW Passat wagon (FWD/manual). I'm comfortable in the German wagons... Both were the V6 2.8 non-turbo. I've never owned a turbo. Not that I've avoided them, I just haven't had one.

This will be my daily driver, about 30 minutes of city & highway to and from work. I'm not a tuner or modder and will run whatever I buy stock. Legroom is a concern as I'm 6'4" but I found both cars comfortable. I have two kids (8 & 11) so rear legroom is a consideration but not a priority. I realize neither have spectacular legroom in the back, but this isn't the family car and won't be hauling everyone for an 8 hour road trip. I do take 2-3 long road trips a year for work. I'm usually alone but sometimes have a passenger. There's never anyone in the back seat on long trips.

I've shied away from the regular V60 as I can't find the options I want and would have to add in a spare tire (it's the principle of the issue). AWD is a requirement, so the DRIVE-E/FWD mileage isn't a factor in the decision.

I've driven both vehicles. Some thoughts in no particular order:

2015 CPO Audi allroad:
  • Coming off of 15 years with VW, it feels like home; albeit a bit nicer home.
  • Love the panoramic roof!
  • LED/Xenon headlamps
  • Nice interior, love the steering wheel controls
  • It has a spare, though it requires inflating to use
  • Beginning to look dated, though still looks good
  • Seems to be holding up well compared to the previous 2.0 engine
  • It's used, but has a CPO warranty for peace of mind
  • Although on a raised platform, I feel it corners better than the Cross Country
  • Not as much WAF (Wife Acceptance/Approval Factor) as the Volvo; but, she never drives my car

2015.5 V60 Cross Country:
  • Love those seats!
  • Looks a little more modern
  • Halogen lamps (hard to find Xenons in the remaining inventory)
  • Small sunroof - I think it's smaller than what i have in my Passat
  • Is brand new and not used/CPO
  • The ride is a little harsh over rough pavement
  • No power lift gate (not a requirement, but comes on the allroad)
  • Tilt down mirrors can't be permanently adjusted (I use them quite a bit on my Passat)
  • Is a first model year vehicle, though the components seem to have been around awhile
  • Man, that's A LOT of buttons on the console; but, at least it has buttons (I hate touch screens in cars, I prefer to keep my eyes on the road and feel my way across the buttons)
  • Heated windshield could be nice, heated rear seats is a plus for the kids
  • Has a usable spare that doesn't need inflating
  • Has a greater WAF

Whatever I get, I plan on keeping it for 8 - 10 years and am not afraid of a little maintenance every now and then. The VWs needed a timing belt & water pump change at 100,000 miles which is about a $1,000 job (but only happens once during my ownership). I recently fixed a transmission seal leak and am due for a valve cover gasket. Other than that, both of my Passats were pretty trouble free. I don't mind occasional maintenance but I hate surprises...

I know this forum will be biased towards the Volvo and that's OK. Right now, I'm wondering if there might be some little (or big) annoyance or convenience that is commonly missed during the test drive and you later find yourself saying "that really sucks" or "that's a really great feature."

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I've test driven an AllRoad.... While I thought the car overall was very nice and I liked the interior/ exterior, I couldn't get past the 2.0T. I thought it felt a bit under powered, but I also come from a T6. So I know that really isn't a fair comparison.

I've also been swayed by my buddy who has a VW CC and he complains that it's a VW that thinks it's an Audi when it comes to repairs/ maintenance. So much that he's trying to sell his CC now. In the past 4 years I haven't had any major issues with my S60 so far.

Although I've never driven a V60 CC I'm pretty sure it's not that far off from my S60 and it's most likely more comfortable with the taller ride height and thicker rubber. I don't recall the state off hand, but I believe the Volvo will give you more power.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I can add a couple of little things. I owned a B8 A4 Avant with the same drivetrain as the Allroad and two things started to bother me over time; considerable vibration at idle and the 8 speed auto. It was always trying to push you into higher gears and left the car feeling somewhat sluggish even though it's a very quick car when in the right gear. Sport mode helps but is too aggressive for daily driving.

I drove a V60 CC loaner the other day and really liked the feel and sound of the T5. You will give up some gas mileage though and I'd miss the Xenons for sure.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
[*]Tilt down mirrors can't be permanently adjusted (I use them quite a bit on my Passat)
Thanks,
John
John,

Welcome to the forum.

The tilt down mirrors can be permanently set to tilt when you place the car in reverse. It is in the settings menu; you can set either the driver's or passenger's side or both to do so when the selected gear is Reverse.

Additionally, if it matters to you, you can get 0% financing for 75 months (free money, if you ask me) plus a $1,500 Conquest Cash rebate for owning a VW.

·
Registered
73 Posts
John,

Fwiw. I did a similar cross shop between the Audi Q5 and Volvo XC60 for my wife's suv. I was looking at the rdesigns or t6 engine so when I drive it there is a little more power. I am a previous Volvo owner and thought that we would like a change. We ended up getting cpo Volvo that was a lease return. The Volvo cpo is fantastic 7 years total as opposed to 6 with no deductible, unlike Audi. I know the Volvo you are looking at is new - but great deals can be had in used v60's and xc60s. Initially I thought the Audi interior and mmi was fancier - but after using sensus - we have found that it has all the features we need and is really easy to use from the scroll wheel and buttons on the steering wheel. No need to reach over to the center mounted buttons. So even though there are a lot of buttons you may find that you do not use them much.

I love our seats. I recently sat in a friends new x5 with standard seats - find the Volvo seats both front and rear to be more comfortable. When we looked at the q5 - I felt the same way. For me that was a huge buying factor as we often take 4 to 5 hour trips to visit family. If seat comfort is a priority Volvo wins. I have found the seat cushions hold up quite well also. You do have to take care of the leather of course. Same as any other car.

Personally I like the front layout of the Volvo over the Audi. Just not a fan of the chrome look grill in the all road with the vertical slats. But that is personal preference.

In general - I think both are nice cars and will come down to preference. While we liked the Audi and liked the idea of change - getting the Volvo was like coming home. Many familiar feelings between that and our previous Volvo - even though it was 8 years newer. I think you will like the Volvo but if you want the familiar feeling of your vw go with the Audi.

I know I presented both sides - hope any insight I provided helps

I can't comment on the engines unless you are looking at the t6 which is not available in the cc.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
John,
The tilt down mirrors can be permanently set to tilt when you place the car in reverse. It is in the settings menu; you can set either the driver's or passenger's side or both to do so when the selected gear is Reverse.
Thanks for the reply. I know the tilt down can be set to be permanently active. The issue I have is that you can't permanently adjust the aim of the mirror in tilt down mode. Every time it tilts down, it is always at the default/factory "aim". Because I'm taller than the average driver, that aim/position is not where I need it. Post #5 here is the behavior I would expect; but, doesn't work on my two test drive vehicles http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?230464-Is-it-possible-to-change-the-side-mirror-reverse-automatic-tip-position. I can only suspect that it's working as designed, but not as desired...

In the long run, I guess it wouldn't be a huge issue as I'd have the backup camera. It just seems like a half implemented solution.

John

·
Registered
251 Posts
The 60 series cars are generally very comfortable for the driver/front passenger, but I will say, as someone who is also nearly 6'-4", the "waterfall" section of the center console does catch my right knee in an odd place and will get uncomfortable on a long trip, especially if there are long stretches where I am unable to use cruise control. I helped this by sticking a foam piece on this area so I can more comfortably rest my knee there. I considered an Audi (A4) and a VW (CC and GTI) as well when I was looking last fall, but was scared off by reliability concerns on the 2.0L turbo engine.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
The Audi is a nice vehicle, and we would have strongly considered it if it were not for the engine (though my wife is also not a fan of the liberal amount of unpainted plastic bumper and fender cladding). We've had both recent generations of Audi's (VW group's) 2.0T gas motors in our A4's, and though they performed well and returned very good fuel mileage, they were unreliable. Beyond 100K miles especially, you are on borrowed time; in fact our '11 A4's 2.0T needed major piston and ring work at <30K. Some say that these "parts related issues" have been corrected, but then there's the potential for direct injection related damage effecting longevity to also consider.

I say your best bet is with the Volvo. It has the tried and true 2.5L 5 cylinder which is a solid performer, and sounds the part. This engine also runs quite well on 87 octane to help counter the lower economy numbers. The more robust front suspension is transplanted from the XC70 along with its decent ground clearance. As for the interior, I think the comparison is a wash: you get the nicer seats, electronic gauges and other unique design elements in the Volvo, versus the higher quality assembly, materials, Google nav, and a tad more rear passenger and cargo volume in the Audi. I will add that our '11 Audi had a major interior rattle emanating from the driver's side door beginning at 5K miles. I'd also give the nod to Volvo on safety measures. One thing I have to strongly recommend, if you decide to buy the Volvo, is to get the excellent "bending" HID/Zenons. This is a must IMO!

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
The 60 series cars are generally very comfortable for the driver/front passenger, but I will say, as someone who is also nearly 6'-4", the "waterfall" section of the center console does catch my right knee in an odd place and will get uncomfortable on a long trip, especially if there are long stretches where I am unable to use cruise control. I helped this by sticking a foam piece on this area so I can more comfortably rest my knee there. I considered an Audi (A4) and a VW (CC and GTI) as well when I was looking last fall, but was scared off by reliability concerns on the 2.0L turbo engine.
The XC70 (AWD only, so pre-FY16) or XC60 are fine options for bigger dudes. They are at least worth a comparison drive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My wife recently purchased a 2015.5 Volvo V60 CC and she absolutely loves it. She had a 2001 XC70 which she liked. Then moved to an Audi A3 wagon which was sporty and fun to drive but less luxurious. She then bought an Audi Q5 which she hated. It was not fun to drive and the infotainment system in the 2012 Audi was lame. When looking for a new ride she considered either the Audi allroad or the Volvo V60 CC and hands down picked the Volvo. It rides much better, looks nicer and has several more technology features. The Audi allroad is a nice car, but Volvo is giving you much more for your money.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I own a 2015.5 V60 CC. Picked it up in Sweden and have been driving it for about a month now. I am past A4 owner and have drive the new A4 sedan (but not the Allroad). I think this is a very close call and really depends on the intangibles, not statistics. I am very happy with the CC. As you say, the seats are sublime. The Volvo also has a superb planted feel on the road. I will also admit I love the styling. The Audi, on the other hand, definitely provides a smoother ride. And while I like the Volvo interior, the Audi interior is probably superior overall. For me, what made this is a relatively easy decision is the safety. The Volvo's safety credentials are unequaled. And the extra features of the technology package (adaptive cruise, lane departure, etc.) are fantastic. When we picked up the car in Sweden, we toured the Volvo brand experience and saw first hand what the Volvo safety commitment is really all about (crash tested cars and cross sections of frames to see how Volvo designs its cars to protect people). Let's just say it was a persuasive validation of our decision to buy another Volvo.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
The Volvo's seats make the Audi a non-option for me, but if I wasn't used to this level of comfort an Audi would probably be just fine.

I just can't see a less comfortable car as being worth more money unless it performs considerably better.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Both are great vehicles but if safety is of any concern for you check out the IIHS crash tests on the Allroad (A4). Not so good.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
The Audi allroad is a nice car, but Volvo is giving you much more for your money.
+1 This is a key point with such a close competition! So much more "bang for the buck" with the Volvo. Personally, when looking to replace my Audi Avant in Feb. 2014, option-to-option, I couldn't come within $8K of the 2015 V60 RD, when comparing to the competition (pre- Polestar). Only the Caddy CTS-V and Merc E63 AMG had the performance, and you all know how high priced they are. It was a no brainer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The 60 series cars are generally very comfortable for the driver/front passenger, but I will say, as someone who is also nearly 6'-4", the "waterfall" section of the center console does catch my right knee in an odd place and will get uncomfortable on a long trip, especially if there are long stretches where I am unable to use cruise control. I helped this by sticking a foam piece on this area so I can more comfortably rest my knee there.
Good info, that's the type I'm hoping to learn. I noticed my knee when I drove the CC. I can't say it was any better or worse than my current car. Like you, I'd probably put some foam there if needed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
...my wife is also not a fan of the liberal amount of unpainted plastic bumper and fender cladding...
Agreed; but, wagons are so few and far between these days...

As for the interior, I think the comparison is a wash: you get the nicer seats, electronic gauges and other unique design elements in the Volvo, versus the higher quality assembly, materials, Google nav, and a tad more rear passenger and cargo volume in the Audi. I will add that our '11 Audi had a major interior rattle emanating from the driver's side door beginning at 5K miles. I'd also give the nod to Volvo on safety measures. One thing I have to strongly recommend, if you decide to buy the Volvo, is to get the excellent "bending" HID/Zenons. This is a must IMO!

Good luck!
I know what the number say; but, I thought the CC had a tad more rear legroom. As for the HIDs, I can't find anything with them in my price point. I'd love to have them...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The XC70 (AWD only, so pre-FY16) or XC60 are fine options for bigger dudes. They are at least worth a comparison drive.

Interesting. I sat in the XC70 and didn't feel like there was as much legroom. Either that, or it was a more upright seating position. The XC60 rides too high for me. Heck, the CC is borderline too tall. I like to sit lower...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I own a 2015.5 V60 CC. Picked it up in Sweden and have been driving it for about a month now.
I'd love to do OSD; and might do it if I delay the purchase a year. But, I don't think that's going to happen.

I'm leaning towards the Volvo right now. As some of you have mentioned, both seem to be good cars and I don't think either is a bad choice. The Volvo does have the edge on safety.

I've found one configured to my liking a few states away. Now, if I could only get the dealer to call me back with the miles, a price, and delivery fee. It's odd -- they've called me three times since Wednesday and I ask for the same info each time and still can't get it. I finally called and left a message for a sales manager this evening. We'll see what happens.

Thanks everyone for your input!

John

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
I would probably make the trip over to get the car instead of leaving it to the dealer to deliver it to me, YMMV.

·
Registered
274 Posts
John,

Welcome to the forum.

Additionally, if it matters to you, you can get 0% financing for 75 months (free money, if you ask me) plus a $1,500 Conquest Cash rebate for owning a VW.
Thats a pretty fantastic financing deal. On my old S60 we thought we got a got rate at 2.1 for 72 months.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts