SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:
I just test drove my first C70 convertible, a 2000 with 30k miles. It was very nice, but I had a few concerns. I noticed some shaking at lower speeds, which I guess is normal cowl shake. When I was pulling out of the driveway at full lock there was a noise which sounded like ball joint problems to me, a kind of grinding rattle (it had the low profile 17 inch wheels, not sure if that affects this). After a little stint on the highway when I came to a full stop the brakes felt a bit wooden, not sure how to explain it but the pedal felt hard to push. It hadn't had a brake job. The driver's window had apparently recently popped out of its track, he had a receipt for $1100 for that, and the driver's sun visor was broken so that it was hanging free and the vanity light was on constantly. Are these kinds of issues par for the course or are they indicative of a car that was made on a Friday and should be avoided? I think I'd definitely get a prepurchase inspection done, but before even going that far I thought I'd turn to the experts here! Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bobby

·
Registered
136 Posts
The grinding noise from a full steering lock is a $2 fix. The steering stops just need to be lubed up with heavy grease that can be purchased at any auto parts store.

Shaking a lower speeds while just driving around is not normal at all. There will be some cowl shake from going over train tracks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Someone on another forum suggested that the shake might be an engine mount. I've been driving a minivan for the last few years so I'm out of touch with what a convertible should feel like.
Thanks for the reply!
Bobby

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, one other thing - how do you turn the radio on? I forgot to ask the seller; I tried to turn it on during the drive by hitting the Volume button, and it powered up saying "System Off" and I couldn't get it to play anything. Was I just being stupid?
Thanks,
Bobby

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (bj0nes)

I
Quote, originally posted by bj0nes »
Oh, one other thing - how do you turn the radio on? I forgot to ask the seller; I tried to turn it on during the drive by hitting the Volume button, and it powered up saying "System Off" and I couldn't get it to play anything. Was I just being stupid?
Thanks,
Bobby
If it actually powered up, it's probably coded and needs the code input to get it going again
Door glass and visors are a common problem and yes, they have A LOT of cowl shake

1 - 6 of 6 Posts