SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see there are all kinds of offerings for routine maintenance from the addition of wear items up to 30K miles, to an additional 7 service visits (every 10K miles) plus wear up to 100K miles.
What is the collective wisdom for prepayment of regular maintenance??? MSRP for these Volvo dealer services start at $225.00 and top out at $4,000.00.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Paid by loan monthly instead of each visit. Also a little cheaper. Good if you are lazy and don't DIY. But not big deal to me.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
I see there are all kinds of offerings for routine maintenance from the addition of wear items up to 30K miles, to an additional 7 service visits (every 10K miles) plus wear up to 100K miles.
What is the collective wisdom for prepayment of regular maintenance??? MSRP for these Volvo dealer services start at $225.00 and top out at $4,000.00.
What these plans are all about is they insulate you against parts and labor increases which go up every year or so. Therefore, you lock the 2015-16 prices for the next 5-6 years.

The "wear" component is the icing on the cake.

·
Registered
419 Posts
What these plans are all about is they insulate you against parts and labor increases which go up every year or so. Therefore, you lock the 2015-16 prices for the next 5-6 years.

The "wear" component is the icing on the cake.
The Volvo Plans are the best and I bought the full length $0 deductible warranty and $0 deductible VIP plan. You can buy the plans from any dealer but I wanted to buy the plans from my dealer. So I checked around, got a price from Steingold Volvo like many others. I used that quote to get a comparably good price from my dealer. Dealers seem to like the VIP plan because they can charge back any work to Volvo and I believe it makes a dealer more willing to do repairs.

I would not get this SUV without the plans. The warranty was 8 years 120,000 miles or close to that. I think I need that kind of warranty for this SUV. The $0 deductible maintenance and repair is worth it. It means you can take your SUV in at any time, even for a minor problem, without worrying about paying for anything. So 10 individual $200 repairs = $2000 are covered in full as well as a single $2000 repair. The cost of all the regular maintenance will easily be more than the cost of the $0 deductible repair/maintenance plan.

The plans enhance the value of the SUV and when you take it in after the original warranty you will never know if the repair is a warranty or service item and this way you are completely covered.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I chose the the more basic wheel, tire, key fob replacement coverage - It was slightly more than the cost of 1 22" tire, which is a no brainer, since the rims will get scratched and the tires will take a beating where I live in the Northeast. The rest of the money I will keep control of. You can either view the extended / comprehensive coverage conservatively (as hedging against inflation & pre-paying for things that may never go bad) or you can keep control of YOUR money and manage / invest it yourself and very likely beat inflation and ONLY PAY when you need it. Personally, I would much rather take the later approach. These plans are designed carefully to benefit the issuer slightly more than the user - that is why they make sound business sense. I realize that some of you are more or less risk averse. One size definitely does not fit all here. Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I chose the the more basic wheel, tire, key fob replacement coverage - It was slightly more than the cost of 1 22" tire, which is a no brainer, since the rims will get scratched and the tires will take a beating where I live in the Northeast. The rest of the money I will keep control of. You can either view the extended / comprehensive coverage conservatively (as hedging against inflation & pre-paying for things that may never go bad) or you can keep control of YOUR money and manage / invest it yourself and very likely beat inflation and ONLY PAY when you need it. Personally, I would much rather take the later approach. These plans are designed carefully to benefit the issuer slightly more than the user - that is why they make sound business sense. I realize that some of you are more or less risk averse. One size definitely does not fit all here. Just my .02 cents.
To be sure, all of these protection/maintenance plans are definitely not lost leaders.......

I assume you went for the 5 year option since it was a better per year rate than the 3 year option???

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
The Volvo Plans are the best and I bought the full length $0 deductible warranty and $0 deductible VIP plan. You can buy the plans from any dealer but I wanted to buy the plans from my dealer. So I checked around, got a price from Steingold Volvo like many others. I used that quote to get a comparably good price from my dealer. Dealers seem to like the VIP plan because they can charge back any work to Volvo and I believe it makes a dealer more willing to do repairs.

I would not get this SUV without the plans. The warranty was 8 years 120,000 miles or close to that. I think I need that kind of warranty for this SUV. The $0 deductible maintenance and repair is worth it. It means you can take your SUV in at any time, even for a minor problem, without worrying about paying for anything. So 10 individual $200 repairs = $2000 are covered in full as well as a single $2000 repair. The cost of all the regular maintenance will easily be more than the cost of the $0 deductible repair/maintenance plan.

The plans enhance the value of the SUV and when you take it in after the original warranty you will never know if the repair is a warranty or service item and this way you are completely covered.
Plus, the warranty is transferrable if you end up selling/trading your car prior to its expiration date.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Plus, the warranty is transferrable if you end up selling/trading your car prior to its expiration date.
That is good to know. I was wondering if there would be a refund or transfer available as an option.....thanks for the clarification!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts