SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to purchase the "ADD SEVEN SERVICES + Wear Item Coverage up to 100K" prepaid maintenance plan for $4,000.

The one question I have which I cannot find the answer is what is covered under "wear"? The brochure states "Wear Item Coverage includes wiper blades, brake pads and rotors, allowing worry-free ownership with virtually no maintenance expenses." That's it? Just wiper blades, brake pads and rotors?

I'm asking my dealer to email me the contract so I can read through it. Maybe someone here already knows.

Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had this plan under my previous XC60 and the wear coverage only includes the three items listed.. wiper blades, brake pads and rotors. It does not cover tires/batteries. It was well worth it when I had the XC60 as I went through multiple wiper blades and had my pads replaced multiple times during the coverage period. I'm looking at possibly getting this for my XC90 as well and was just quoted $3850 for this package by my dealer finance rep. today. The sFSM upgrade Program sheet she presented me lists it for MSRP $4000, however she said it's discounted at $3850. Not sure if this offer is available at all dealerships.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had this plan under my previous XC60 and the wear coverage only includes the three items listed.. wiper blades, brake pads and rotors. It does not cover tires/batteries. It was well worth it when I had the XC60 as I went through multiple wiper blades and had my pads replaced multiple times during the coverage period. I'm looking at possibly getting this for my XC90 as well and was just quoted $3850 for this package by my dealer finance rep. today. The sFSM upgrade Program sheet she presented me lists it for MSRP $4000, however she said it's discounted at $3850. Not sure if this offer is available at all dealerships.
I've leased an S60 at Culver City Volvo (Los Angeles) and when I went in to sign the lease, there was a new way the amount was itemized, including "maintenance" at about $800.

I was told "brakes and other things," and have since learned that it appears to cover just wiper blades, brake pads and rotors but no one can really tell me and there's nothing written in a contract with details.

Rotating tires and alignment (if needed) aren't covered.

It's a bit dubious but fine -- it's a business lease and it penciled out.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Can anyone confirm what the "WearCare" option in Canada covers when you lease? Not sure if I should get it or not...

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
three things to consider.

PPP (Protection Package Plan) - which is a conglomerate of accidental stuff (wheel, tires, windshield) - this can only be purchased day of sale and not after. MSRP is $1000 for this specific plan, less for only part of it (for 2016 - cannot say for 2017)

Then there's the VIP plan which is kind of like an extended wear and tear plan. You can modify this and can buy it at any time, however the lower the mileage when you start the better. (I have 8 years 100,000 miles).

Then there's the Prepaid Maintenance FSM - this like the VIP plan has many options, and is tailored to what you need. For instance, I have the 5 year + wear which is equivalent to the old 5 year S+S (safe and secure) plan.

my specific VIP + PPP + FSM/wear and tear was able to be bargained with and they eventually gave me my terms for $3600 - no tax. Additional Item added post TTL sale.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
three things to consider.

PPP (Protection Package Plan) - which is a conglomerate of accidental stuff (wheel, tires, windshield) - this can only be purchased day of sale and not after. MSRP is $1000 for this specific plan, less for only part of it (for 2016 - cannot say for 2017)
This is what it sounds like when they explained it. Includes chipped windshield, stains on fabric/leather, damaged bumper, dents on doors or scratches, chipped paint, scraped rims when you return from lease & can even return car with bold tires (as per my dealer lol). The cost is $955 with tax so not sure I want to swallow that extra cost but I am mostly concerned with scraped 22" rims :D But if we end up buying out the car at the end of the lease I guess that money is wasted...

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
This is what it sounds like when they explained it. Includes chipped windshield, stains on fabric/leather, damaged bumper, dents on doors or scratches, chipped paint, scraped rims when you return from lease & can even return car with bold tires (as per my dealer lol). The cost is $955 with tax so not sure I want to swallow that extra cost but I am mostly concerned with scraped 22" rims :D But if we end up buying out the car at the end of the lease I guess that money is wasted...
i wouldn't do it on a lease, that sounds silly. More like the longer term road/family car if anything. 90% of those things aren't even really accounted for during lease return.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
i wouldn't do it on a lease, that sounds silly. More like the longer term road/family car if anything. 90% of those things aren't even really accounted for during lease return.
You think? That's why I'm confused a little. We might just take our chances & see what happens, don't want to really pay extra $1,000 :(

·
Registered
45 Posts
Unless you are talking specifically about volvo... but in previous Leases chips, dents, scratches all affected the lease upon return. Most people take better care of a leased vehicle than an owned one for that simple fact.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Unless you are talking specifically about volvo... but in previous Leases chips, dents, scratches all affected the lease upon return. Most people take better care of a leased vehicle than an owned one for that simple fact.
is that true?

I've leased about 6 vehicles, and we lease it specifically because the "credit card" check is pretty forgiving. I mean, if you destroy something - then sure, you should pay for it. But over all, our leases have not been taken care of, and the dealership has never given me a problem.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Don't they have a "card" that lists the size of allowable dents, chips, scratches etc. I've seen this on Volvo and BMW. Up to a certain number of mm, one is "forgiven," as it were. Maybe things have changed. . . .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts