SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car came with a Pioneer headunit. I also happened to have an original SC-801.

They work perfectly when bypassing the amp (this car has the amp behind the centre console). Even the old CD-changer in the boot still works.

So I thought I'd try connecting the SC801 through the amp.

I left the larger of the main connectors in the headunit. I unplugged the smaller of the main connectors from the headunit and plugged that into the harness going to the amp. And then plugged the large DIN plug from the amp into the "AMP" socket on the headunit.

There was a "whoompf" and the 15A fuse blew. The only way to stop the fuse from instantly blowing, even ignition off, was to disconnect the harness from the amp.

Everything still works when bypassing the amp. (phew!)

Did I mess up the connections?

Or just got unlucky with a "bad" amp?

Is it possible there is a short in the harness going to the amp?

·
Registered
233 Posts
If I remember correctly, both black connectors must be plugged into the harness going to the amp.

·
Registered
15,384 Posts
Ravis is correct. You short circuited the harness.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So there are three connectors - a larger and a smaller "square" connector, and one DIN connector.

The DIN goes from the HU to the Amp, that much is clear.

In the harness behind the HU there is a socket that fits the smaller square connector and heads down to the Amp. So I unplugged that smaller connector from HU and plugged it into the harness going down to the Amp instead.

As far as I can tell that smaller connector carries all the speakers except the two dash speakers.

The larger square connector - I can't see anywhere to connect that into the harness to the Amp? As far as I can tell it carries the two dash speakers, plus power to the HU? I can't see how the HU would work without that connector?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts