SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Question for those that have spent some track time in their R, I'm wanting to get a set of pads for the track. Generally, in the past, I've tended to prefer less initial bite and a lot of ramp up. I seem to have gotten a much better feel for how much attitude the car has that way.

For now the plan is to use stock calipers and rotors along with some titanium backing plates, stainless steel braided lines and some Motul RBF 600 brake fluid. I'm pretty sure I'd much rather change the pads at the track and keep street pads on the street and track pads on the track. That's how I used to do it before and it worked very well for me.

However, it's been about 30years since I've spent any time on a track. So I think I'd like to hear more current experienced recommendations on what pads to go with for track only. I'll be mostly out at Streets of Willow and then next year also run at Big Willow.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Without anyone's guidance I would probably go with Hawk. I'd get some DTC70 Brake Pads for the track and some HPS Brake Pads for the street. I think that Carbotech and PFC used to be much better in a longer race where the brakes really start getting hot. But for time trials in a relatively stock caR I'm guessing I may not need to worry too much about generating heat above Hawk heat limitations if that's even an issue anymore.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I had Hawks on my old Jetta GLI and they provided a great linear feel. My brother puts Pagid's on his Lotus and it stops before you even push the pedal. It also only weighs about 12 pounds though...

I had stockers on my M3 and they were pretty decent, but had some fade. Had I done more track duty, I would have gone with OEM ZCP Performance Package brakes (similar to CSL).

·
Registered
8,815 Posts
where do you get the Ti shims these days? I can't find the place that was selling them. and are you just doing shims on the fronts? I do NOT want gold calipers.

·
Registered
11,939 Posts
I'm a big fan of Ferodo DS2500 for track use. They also have enough cold bite to run on the street if you don't want to swap often. It's hard for me to judge the feel/modulation as the tracks I have run all have straight-line braking zones so you don't need to do much modulation. But the Ferodos do NOT fade at all and they also last quite a long time even with track day abuse.

I found the Hawk HPS to be FAR WORSE than OEM pads for track AND street use.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
where do you get the Ti shims these days? I can't find the place that was selling them. and are you just doing shims on the fronts? I do NOT want gold calipers.
Here's a link to a lot of brands of pads and the Ti shims. These guys are great to deal with.
Zeckhausen Racing

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Project Mu or Porterfield. My friend had the race versions on his S2000 and with stock calipers it hurt when you got on the brakes hard. Also, I have the Ti shims and they made the pedal feel much better even without ss brake lines. Still need to install the new ss lines on my SR.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts