SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HI there!

Looking to buy a 2015.5 T6 R-Design (Canadian market ) from a non volvo dealer.

When pushing on the Nav button, I get a message saying that navigation is not activated and need to see a Volvo Dealer for activation/purchase.

Called them and they want like 1500$ for activation /subscription plan.

Is there a way around this using your phone by tethering?

Navigation is not that important as you can always do it with your phone but the remote start function / unlock/locking the car from a distance and such is what I find interesting.

I tried searching the forum but got confused with different answers.

CHeers!

·
Registered
13,497 Posts
I don't think there's a way to tether your phone to the car, at least I've never figured out a way to do it like I can on my Mazda's.

It's a little strange that Canadian market '15.5 cars are not outfitted the same as US market cars. In the US the main selling point of Sensus Connect was that navigation was included. Granted, to access the pre-loaded aps like Pandora you would need to purchase a data plan and to access Volvo On Call which provides remote start and locking/unlocking you would need an additional subscription.

We have two cars with Sensus Connect - a '16 with a data plan and a '15.5 without and navigation works on both of them though we don't subscribe to VOC on either car.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
I don't think there's a way to tether your phone to the car, at least I've never figured out a way to do it like I can on my Mazda's.

It's a little strange that Canadian market '15.5 cars are not outfitted the same as US market cars. In the US the main selling point of Sensus Connect was that navigation was included. Granted, to access the pre-loaded aps like Pandora you would need to purchase a data plan and to access Volvo On Call which provides remote start and locking/unlocking you would need an additional subscription.

We have two cars with Sensus Connect - a '16 with a data plan and a '15.5 without and navigation works on both of them though we don't subscribe to VOC on either car.
You're a bit incorrect. You can enable Wifi on the Sensus Connect and teather the internet from a cell phone hotspot. Or installed another company sim card that supports GMS
(T-Mobile)... Tethering off cell phone hotspot is most effective.

Wonder if OP has a 15 and not a 15.5? The 15's don't allow users to update maps and wondering if there's some sort of security mechanism in place that locked down the GPS...Or as you stated, Canadian cars don't provide free navigation...

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
You're a bit incorrect. You can enable Wifi on the Sensus Connect and teather the internet from a cell phone hotspot. Or installed another company sim card that supports GMS
(T-Mobile)... Tethering off cell phone hotspot is most effective.

Wonder if OP has a 15 and not a 15.5? The 15's don't allow users to update maps and wondering if there's some sort of security mechanism in place that locked down the GPS...Or as you stated, Canadian cars don't provide free navigation...
Our '17 S60 can tether from a cell phone (provided your carrier doesn't block it. AT&T disabled it and charges more but fortunately a phone update corrected that).

·
Registered
561 Posts
I could be wrong, but don't you need a subscription for the remote start from phone feature? Isn't that through Volvos subscription service, separate from vehicle internet connection (although I do not believe both are required)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I could be wrong, but don't you need a subscription for the remote start from phone feature? Isn't that through Volvos subscription service, separate from vehicle internet connection (although I do not believe both are required)
Volvo on Call in Canada, which I have just renewed for 30 months for our ‘16 V60RD, gets you connection to the car with or without WiFi for remote start, vehicle location, VoC assistance and accident service almost anywhere in Canada combining GPS and satellite services. For the internet streaming services you need to tether off your mobile phone (we use Rogers) but more often we just use the phone directly (e.g., iTunes music streaming) and just connect via Bluetooth or USB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
697 Posts
I think the Nav Subscription is just a once off fee to get the Nav working in the car. I added it to mine, after purchase, for about the same price. Mine doesn't have any network ability though, that was a completely separate feature pack.

I can Internet tether, but it only gives me access to apps in the Web (globe) browser. Nothing to do with the Nav

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Sigh and a very expensive one that I cannot justify...And irked because I don't think one should be forced to spend $500 bucks to use a feature preinstalled in the car. Think a keyfob should have been included with the option for subscription as a secondary feature.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll pass on this one.

After looking into it, indeed it is a 2015.2 Platinum with out Navigation, hence the reason it is not working at all and the $$$$ they ask for it.

Thanks everyone for your inputs!

·
Registered
855 Posts
When i got 2019 xc60 as loaner was same message on dash for navigation so what i did i download the maps install on usb plugged it in and it installed all the GPS maps and information . Did you try to download and install maps and see if it works?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts