SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up an 07 XC90 3.2 for the wife. Pre-purchase inspection had a few minor issues, nothing that sounds particularly serious.

1) Software updates that they are suggesting for $135. They listed a whole bunch of module acronyms...probably eight of them. Car runs and drives fine; as far as I know all the accessories work, so I'd hate to pay them to update the software and break something in the process. Are the software updates a good idea?

2) Brake booster is leaking, needs to be removed and resealed ($230). I don't mind paying them for this either, but I'd do it myself if it were easy. I don't even know what is leaking, because the brakes feel fine and I don't hear anything weird. IPD has these two parts: https://www.ipdusa.com/products/6944/115557-brake-booster-to-master-o-ring-seal and https://www.ipdusa.com/products/6945/115556-brake-booster-firewall-gasket
Anyone know about this?

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Software updates are a good idea. They have made adjustments over the years. The brake booster is probably leaking oil. its on the drivers side top of the engine.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
You should ask about the free software upgrades. There is a specific software package that they should put in for free. It isn't as comprehensive as what I think they're selling you (Total CAN upgrade) but it's free.

The brake vacuum pump reseal is pretty easy. You'll need a Torx 25 bit to disassemble it and a few sockets to remove it.

See if you can negotiate these repairs from the purchase price.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update with pics.

So, I took some photos of the brake booster and hose: Pics of the leak

What I'm seeing is a minor amount of sludge likely coming from the fitting of the brake booster host into the engine. Since shop manuals are impossible to come by, I presume it's just providing vacuum from the head/valve cover area.

Two questions:

1) can the brake booster leak and I wouldn't be able to "see" it? I've never run into that before so I want to ensure I'm not being taken for a ride.

2) has anyone repaired or replaced the fitting/hose/etc that is causing this sludge? I'm not finding jack squat about it on this site or the internetz in general. I think I'm using the wrong search terms.

Thanks again everyone. I think it's time to invest in the good old VIDA / DICE.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts