SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am strongly considering a pre-owned s60 2.4t. It has about 13500 miles on it, with an extended 6y/100,000 mile warranty. My question is, has anyone had issues with the first model year s60? Should I hold out for a 2002?<P>Your help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've got 8,000 miles on my '01 T5 that I picked up on overseas delivery. No problems other than the occasional sticky key-fob button that everyone seems to have.<P>But the car itself has been suprisingly flawless. I would've thought there'd have been some major problem in the launch year, but I was wrong on that assumption.<P>Good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi,<P>I've had a 2001 S60 for 6 months now and put 9,700 kms on it. It is not a 2.4T, it’s the base engine with the manual transmission, however it has been close to perfect (knock on wood). <P>I did have two very minor problems though; the first occurred two days after I took delivery. The mechanics missed something during the PDI so they fixed it first thing on a Monday morning and I have not had a problem with it since. I think that PDI is actually stands for POST Delivery Inspection). <P>The second item was a rattle in the headliner that they also fixed quickly.<P>Last weekend, I purchased a pre-owned 1998 S70 in a private after about a two-month search. I did learn a lot of things from my experience that I would like to share and hopefully could help you decide. <P>First off, price. A dealer will give you close to book value when you trade-in your vehicle, however when they turn around to sell it, they will increase it’s price by a great deal. I would have paid $4,000 to $5,000 more if I had purchased a similarly equipped (including mileage) vehicle from the same dealer where I purchased the S60. In addition, since I live in Toronto, I would have had to pay 15% sales tax instead of 8% I paid since it was a private sale. <P>Second, be careful of the used cars you find at dealers. I went in to my buying experience uneducated and quickly came out educated. I have a relative that works in a Benz dealer and he tells me that when pre-owned vehicles in good condition come back either off-lease of on a trade, the employees of the dealership usually have first crack at them. That means that the vehicles on the lot are often ones that nobody wanted. What I did find from the ones on the lot is the turbocharger was in bad condition or they have been driven hard or, worse of all they had been in an accident.<P>Granted, the car you are looking at is relatively new, but you have to ask why that car was returned and why no body has already picked it up. A warranty may be great, but if the car has been in an accident, then the body will never be the same and it will be prone to rusting. This may affect your resale value in the future.<P>So, in summary, be careful, and if it were me, unless I could absolutely trust the car was in good mechanical condition and the body had never been in an accident and that the price was fair, I would opt for the new car.<P>Sorry for the long reply, however I hope this helps.<P>Regards,<P>e_rpm<P>

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by e_rpm:<BR><B>Hi,<P>Second, be careful of the used cars you find at dealers. I went in to my buying experience uneducated and quickly came out educated. I have a relative that works in a Benz dealer and he tells me that when pre-owned vehicles in good condition come back either off-lease of on a trade, the employees of the dealership usually have first crack at them. That means that the vehicles on the lot are often ones that nobody wanted. What I did find from the ones on the lot is the turbocharger was in bad condition or they have been driven hard or, worse of all they had been in an accident.<P>Granted, the car you are looking at is relatively new, but you have to ask why that car was returned and why no body has already picked it up. A warranty may be great, but if the car has been in an accident, then the body will never be the same and it will be prone to rusting. This may affect your resale value in the future.<P>Sorry for the long reply, however I hope this helps.<P>Regards,<P>e_rpm<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The car was bought at auction. It was previously a company car (according to carfax). Also, carfax does not show an accident on record. Lastly, it has the Volvo pre owned certification. I don't think it can qualify if it had been in an accident, but the cert. is done by the dealership so....<P>

·
Registered
18 Posts
That sounds promising, but there is still the price to consider. First, what is the asking price compared to the price of a new vehicle.<P>Second, the extended warranty is a good thing, however would you have to pay a deductible on any repairs once the original factory warranty expires. I was looking warranties on used cars and depending on the premium chosen, I had to pay $50 or $100 out of my pocket.<P>

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by e_rpm:<BR><B>That sounds promising, but there is still the price to consider. First, what is the asking price compared to the price of a new vehicle.<P>Second, the extended warranty is a good thing, however would you have to pay a deductible on any repairs once the original factory warranty expires. I was looking warranties on used cars and depending on the premium chosen, I had to pay $50 or $100 out of my pocket.<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Looking to spend $27500 - 13,800 miles loaded except for cold weather pkg. and a volvo 6yr/100k warranty. Opinions?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts