SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I think I person has tried the silver trim but I can remember a name. I like Rvinyl too you should try it.

·
Super Moderator
15,145 Posts
NO! I bought the R vinyl dash kit for my first S40 and it was a HUGE waste of money. Nothing pre-cut is going to be perfect. Either buy rolls of vinyl and do it your self, or paint the parts.

·
Super Moderator
15,145 Posts
I think I person has tried the silver trim but I can remember a name. I like Rvinyl too you should try it.
haha, of course you can't remember the name, because My Name Ideas Were Taken :p

·
Registered
103 Posts
The Rvynil I installed never turned out quite right. I was careful on the install, following directions closely. The vinyl didn't wrap around the waterfall or door handles to cover it completely. I ordered the "brushed aluminum" and it was a bit shiny for my taste. It was 30 bucks but i wish i would've saved it for a new waterfall and door handle kit.

I believe it said on Rvinyl's website that if you take a completed picture of it then they will give you a rebate.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'd recommend 3M vinyl over RVinyl. Buy it by the roll off ebay or amazon for cheap.
Could you recommend a vinyl to matched the brushed aluminum in our S40's. I was wanting to wrap the air vent surrounds but have no idea how to do it, or if it can be done. Or are there other options? All input greatly appreciated...

·
Super Moderator
15,145 Posts
There is not vinyl that will perfectly match the stock brushed aluminum, nor is there a paint. Crossie has a brushed aluminum vinyl that looks pretty close though, so maybe see what he went with.

After giving up with the vinyl route, I went the paint route. Again, nothing will match perfectly. So here I am now with a full FGM color match interior.

Wrapping the air vents is completely possible, but you'll need to be good with vinyl application as there's a lot of awkward edges.

Check my sig to see the progression of both of my cars (it'll show my attempts with vinyl and various paints).
Also check my sig to find the How-To Videos thread. That'll show you how to get the air vents out. Once you have them out, getting the actual vents separate from the vent surrounds is easy; just a little prying with a butter knife.

I would recommend leaving the air vents as is, or going matte black. That's what I wish I had originally done. As for the rest of the interior, go with 3M di-noc or something if you want to jazz it up a bit. The Carbon fiber look is pretty popular right now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would recommend leaving the air vents as is
Thanks MyName...I'll take that advice. I wont bother, having read and seen your photos. BTW thanks for all your work with the how to photos. I am replacing my gear knob and mirror cases tomorrow with the brushed aluminium acessories, and sports pedals too!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts