SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so it will launch with the new twin-power 4-cyclinder engine producing ~320 HP. The T8 power outputs will mirror numbers found in the XC90.

Both motors will be linked to the (new for Volvo) 8-speed transmission. Please god let the new Aisin 8-speed transmission be good! Volvo really needs to nail this right off the bat. No more floaty transmission with very slow manumatic shifts. This tranny must be responsive! Rev matching is becoming the norm as are quick and deliberate shifts in manual mode.

How about weight, any chance this beast weighs less than the outgoing S80?

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
The 8 speed is OK. It the way the engine delivers it's torque which is good for commute and cruising but not very sportive. To much low and midrange, to little top end.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
All VEA engines already use the 8 speed Aisin auto. My guess is that the S90 will weigh about the same as the S80 though it is significantly larger.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What I'd wish for the S/V90 and hope Volvo will do:

- Re-use the T8 engine from the XC90
- Develop a new 6 cylinder engine for the top of line models (XC90 MPG figures show that the 4 cylinders have a hard time being economic, even when compared to 6 cylinder competitors)
- Make the Intellisafe Pro package STANDARD SERIES OUTFIT - it 'd be easy to update these cars to Auto Pilot driving when its available in 2020
- Finetune the XC90 interior with better headrests, Orrefors automatic handle, and the air vents from the Concept Coupe rather the dull ones from the XC90
- Air Suspension with a good dynamic setting, so that it can compete with BMW and Audi's driving abilities

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
What I'd wish for the S/V90 and hope Volvo will do:

- Re-use the T8 engine from the XC90
- Develop a new 6 cylinder engine for the top of line models (XC90 MPG figures show that the 4 cylinders have a hard time being economic, even when compared to 6 cylinder competitors)
- Make the Intellisafe Pro package STANDARD SERIES OUTFIT - it 'd be easy to update these cars to Auto Pilot driving when its available in 2020
- Finetune the XC90 interior with better headrests, Orrefors automatic handle, and the air vents from the Concept Coupe rather the dull ones from the XC90
- Air Suspension with a good dynamic setting, so that it can compete with BMW and Audi's driving abilities
Everything looks doable except the second request; it is not going to happen.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Is there a possibility to see a diesel engine in the S90/V90 in North America?
I really doubt it. First off, the market for diesels was small to begin with and dieselgate has done a number on their reputation (VW or otherwise). A mature hybrid market and growing acceptance of EVs and PHEVs makes electrification is a much better efficiency strategy for North America. Volvo has already invested heavily in developing that technology. From a technical standpoint I think the VW scandal is evidence that making diesels both driveable and clean really is a challenging thing to do under current regulations. There are already rumors of Drive-E diesels in Europe with driveability problems associated with EGR. (On the bright side, I'm pretty sure we know Volvo isn't cheating on emissions tests!) So even if Volvo brought diesel to the NA, odds are we'd be disappointed.

·
Registered
702 Posts
The 225hp D5 should soon be upgraded to 235hp with a unique pneumatic feature.
A pulse of compressed air will be release in the exhaust manifold and spin up the turbos to drastically reduce lag at low rpm.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
There is a lot of new hardware. it is not a polestar tune
When looking at the T5 engine being advertised producing 245 HP in the smaller models and 253 HP with the overpriced Polestar "optimisation" I noticed that the XC90 T5 produces 254 HP from factory (Like it should) can this be considered to be that same Polestar tune or has there been done more to that engine also?

·
Registered
702 Posts
When looking at the T5 engine being advertised producing 245 HP in the smaller models and 253 HP with the overpriced Polestar "optimisation" I noticed that the XC90 T5 produces 254 HP from factory (Like it should) can this be considered to be that same Polestar tune or has there been done more to that engine also?
What I have understood is that the pulse of compressed air is coming from a tank which is filled by a electric motor.
When needed at low rpm, the air is brusquely send into the exhaust manifold to spin the turbo(s) independently of the engine rpm.

This feature should be all new.

Regarding the peak hp. I have no idea if Volvo is going to use a bigger turbo which would be spun thanks to this new "air pulse" feature or if Volvo will release all the power available from the actual D5 on this occasion.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
C&D got the T6 XC90 to go 0-60 in 6.4 sec. Me thinks a lighter S90 should take at least 0.5 seconds off that time? With "PoleStar Enhancements" it should be in the low 5-second range??

I'm really hoping the R-design version is available right from the start. This car very well may replace my NG9-5. I'll test it against the new XF, Lexus GS and perhaps the smaller C450 AMG and XE-S. I'm not going over mid-50's in price. I've optioned the C450 AMG at 57K and this car really intrigues me.

·
Registered
388 Posts
This car very well may replace my NG9-5. I'll test it against the new XF, Lexus GS and perhaps the smaller C450 AMG and XE-S. I'm not going over mid-50's in price.
I really don't understand why people in North America consider such different cars like a GS and a C-class when they buy a new car. In Europe, it goes like "I need a mid-sized wagon, I can spend xx'xxx, so I can afford a XX, a YY or a ZZ." You wouldn't walk into a dealership and come out with a smaller, but more luxurious car than you had planned. But it's possible that you would walk out of a dealership without anything and go over to a cheaper brand.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I really don't understand why people in North America consider such different cars like a GS and a C-class when they buy a new car. In Europe, it goes like "I need a mid-sized wagon, I can spend xx'xxx, so I can afford a XX, a YY or a ZZ." You wouldn't walk into a dealership and come out with a smaller, but more luxurious car than you had planned. But it's possible that you would walk out of a dealership without anything and go over to a cheaper brand.
The new C-class has grown so the size is only a secondary issue for me. I really love the interior and we know the AMG has a honed in transmission and a sweet sounding burble in the exhaust. I know the new S90 will not have a super sporty exhaust tone but I'm hoping for a quick shifting transmission the oozes control.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts