SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time to replace the brakes and rotors on the newtome V50 T5 AWD with 320mm brakes so I ordered the Powerstop drilled and slotted Z23 kit. Successfully did this in the past with 300mm discs on my S40, and I was impressed with the stopping power. So I didn't think anything of ordering this kit. Imagine my surprise when I see this - this is what I got for the front pads (back side shown). Not only does it not come with anti-rattle clips at the top but it has this attached tri-spring on the backside. :confused: Am I missing something - does this 'spring' fit inside the caliper and straddle the piston? I just cannot imagine it fitting any other way. Never seen anything like this before... Thoughts???

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
That is correct for the 320's. The clips go into the pistons so that the pads don't drag.

You are going to LOVE the stopping power! Throw some stainless lines on there and some thicker DOT4 and the character of the system changes a lot. Also it becomes much harder to trip the panic brake system. I have only noticed it once since all of my upgrades. Before I would trip it multiple times per day.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Ohh FWIW some models have the pad temperature sensors and some dont. If you dont have the connector you will need to cut the cable off of the pad.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Crazy - so these pads don't have anti-rattle clips (those are the anti-rattle clips) and just like I suspected, they go around the pistons. Okay, I feel more confident now. I suppose that design is a nice upgrade to prevent any unwanted dragging, but man does it look weird.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
I haven't done the brakes on the C30 yet so I don't know if they're different but all P80s and P2s have those springs on the inner front pads.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Crazy - so these pads don't have anti-rattle clips (those are the anti-rattle clips) and just like I suspected, they go around the pistons. Okay, I feel more confident now. I suppose that design is a nice upgrade to prevent any unwanted dragging, but man does it look weird.
I would think that those go "inside" the piston and not "around" the piston. Around the piston would risk damaging the dust boot & seal.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
I would think that those go "inside" the piston and not "around" the piston. Around the piston would risk damaging the dust boot & seal.
This is correct. Even the 300mm are this design. Any shots of the rotors? I am looking at this kit on Rockauto but don't know much about Powerstop.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Yes, those "spring / clip go on the inside of the calipers piston. You may also want to put some anti squeal paste on the backside of the pads.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Yes, those "spring / clip go on the inside of the calipers piston. You may also want to put some anti squeal paste on the backside of the pads.
That is correct the clips go INSIDE the pistons. Do not lube the clips. Only lube the back side of the pads. The clips serve as anti rattle and also help the pad retract so they dont drag. The clips grab in inside of the piston allowing the pad to pull back from the rotor when you release the brake.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, got it - inside the piston, not around. I'll shoot you guys some pics of the rotors later tonight.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I've had powerstop slotted rotors and ceramic pads on my Rodeo for a few years now and have been very happy with them. When creeping down rock faces and ledges with a heavy vehicle good braking is important.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have similar thoughts - installed a complete set on my S40 with 300mm brakes - puts my current 320mm brakes to SHAME.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts