SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Powerflex Poly Bushings 15% Code at VIVA

UPDATE: Connor at VIVA PMd me and gave us a 15% off code for these bushings. Good through the end of the month. The code is PFSPRING19. Disregard what I said below about going in with me to get 3 or of the same bushings to get the 10% off. I will still press in a set into my spare control arms for anyone if they need me to, just PM me.

Original Post:
Hey so I'm going to be ordering some of the harder durometer Powerflex "race" bushings from Viva in a few days. I am going to do bushing locations 1, 5, 6, 7, and 10 as per this thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?166926-P2R-suspension-solved!

Bushing location 16 I was just going to go XC "extended life" route per the thread but would be open to trying to Powerflex "race" version.
Just throwing this out there in case anyone else wanted to get some too as if we buy together and get three of each bushing we get 10% off.

I have purchased a spare set of front control arms that I'm going to be pressing the new bushings into so when I install them, I will have my old control arms that I won't need. Putting a feeler out there for anyone who has wanted to get poly front control arm bushings but doesn't have a press as I could press them in for you.

Let me know if you're interested.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I would be interested
Can you pm me the price?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
281 Posts
Don’t forget 5 and 8! Most important ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
5 and 8 for the rear of the car?
Anything else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tbh they are all great, but if you had to choose 5 and 8 transforms your vehicle

Definitely going to add 8 to the list. CMOD_R have you tried any of the race versions or just street versions? What about 9 and 4 for the toe arm, worth it?

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Definitely going to add 8 to the list. CMOD_R have you tried any of the race versions or just street versions? What about 9 and 4 for the toe arm, worth it?
My old s60r was all street bushings in the rear.

My V70R (just sold it) had race in the 5 and 8 slot.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My old s60r was all street bushings in the rear.

My V70R (just sold it) had race in the 5 and 8 slot.

Did you like the race ones or were they too stiff for street use?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
So glad I saw this. I just ordered 1,5,6,7,8,10 & 16 racing. I was going to get the IPD rear bushing kit, but this is so much better. Thanks guys for posting this!

Edit: I decided to get 2,3,4 & 9 so the entire rear is done. I would have paid $690 @ iPD for the OEM kit for the rear. Once the new 4c’s, iPD sways and TME’s go in, the suspension will be done.
I’ll keep you’ll posted.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to Connor at VIVA for the discount too.

I ended up getting 1, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 10 all race.

HunterBD I'm curious to see how the 16 in race makes the car feel. I'm just going to go OEM for now.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Tell me how they feel, I have to replace damn near all bushings in my R and I’m probably going the same route as you are.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The guys at work with access to the shop helped me make some tools to press out the front control arm bushing. That and my $150 Chinese 20 ton press and I'm ready to go :p

IMG_20190328_005254.jpg

IMG_20190328_005421.jpg

In case anyone wanted to know the sizes for the tools to make your own.

IMG_20190328_005602.jpg

IMG_20190328_005519.jpg

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also the bushings just came in, super stoked!

IMG_20190328_132111.jpg

Had a question for anyone that's worked with that front control arm bushing since Powerflex started making it as a complete piece with the sleeve and pin all pre-assembled (I've only used the old style where you had to reuse the sleeve and pin.)

I'm wondering which way to orient the pin. On the stock bushing, the rounded side with the shorter flat surface goes towards the car and the longer flat surface goes out towards wheel. With these, there's only one flat surface on the pin but it's about the same width as the shorter flat surface on the stock pin so I'm assuming it goes in towards frame and that the rounded end goes out towards wheel correct?

IMG_20190328_134500.jpg

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One side down...
Anybody else doing this, budget a lot of time lol. Took me like 8 hours total for one side. Big ones the hardest, have to destroy the factory bushing, can't press it out.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 S60 T5 M66 with 4c
792 Posts
following along and very interested to see how these all feel once everything is buttoned up. Need to put my old press to some good use.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update: Car handles very precisely with all of these new bushings. I had it aligned but not corner balanced yet because I still wanted to make some additional changes. There is still a lot I want to do to get it to a point where I can really dial in what I want. Here's what I want to do, many of the parts I already have and just need to find the time to install.

Adjustable endlinks (Steinjager)
Adjustable rear lca camber bushings (Silver Project)
2.5" rear upper spring seats (need to make)
Poly the rear toe link bushings (powerflex race)
Switch up the spring rates and possibly add tender springs
Delrin rear subframe bushings (I keep trying Generation Volvo but he hasn't responded in a while...)

Everything's not quite there yet but even in it's current janky state, it inspires much more confidence than it used to with the stock flabby suspension. I wanted to get it on track this summer but it didn't end up happening. This next season I hope to have it set up and to be able to get it out on the track to have some fun and see how it really handles.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Are you worried about squeeking and did you do anything to mitigate it?

I'm going to be starting my own poly bushing refresh soon and am concerned about potential noise and longevity issues.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Are you worried about squeeking and did you do anything to mitigate it?

I'm going to be starting my own poly bushing refresh soon and am concerned about potential noise and longevity issues.

This next bit is going to be in all caps.......TAKE SOME WHITE TEFLON TAPE AND WRAP ALL CONTACT POINTS OF THE BUSHES PRIOR TO GREASING. IT SHOULD LOOK LIKE A BARBERS POLE. YES, TEFLON THEN GREASE THEN PRESS. Zero squeakage.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
This next bit is going to be in all caps.......TAKE SOME WHITE TEFLON TAPE AND WRAP ALL CONTACT POINTS OF THE BUSHES PRIOR TO GREASING. IT SHOULD LOOK LIKE A BARBERS POLE. YES, TEFLON THEN GREASE THEN PRESS. Zero squeakage.

Not sure why the caps were necessary.

I was going to include that I saw that video about applying Teflon tape in my previous message, but decided to let the OP respond first.

I also saw a video about polishing the metal inserts so they don't bind. I'm thinking I may do both.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts