SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Our 2012 XC70 has about 100K miles and runs great except for the tailgate. Pressing the interior, remote, or rear door buttons all activate the opening sequence normally until the tailgate almost reaches the top of its travel. Essentially, it goes up about 80% of the way and stops. If manually pushing the door up the rest of the way, it almost stays up but the slightest downward pressure will see it drop back to where it stopped on the way up.

From reading the forums here I think the problem is failure of the two gas springs but I don't know how to diagnose it with certainty. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

·
Registered
828 Posts
I think the problem is failure of the two gas springs but I don't know how to diagnose it with certainty.
Yes you have weak gas struts - and is diagnosed by - Does the door stay up? If no the struts are weak. Replace both and door will stay up.

Weak struts are worse in colder weather - so if you can wait till Spring or summer the door will stay up better.

·
Registered
14,141 Posts
The hatch opening also has an adjustment as to how far it opens so check that first. There are instructions in your manual.

About the replacement struts, make sure you get the right ones for your car - I think there are different ones for the left and right side.

·
Registered
544 Posts
A few months ago there was a similar thread, as I mentioned there, and Wayne mentioned above. Left and right are different sizes. With the right (passengers side) being the beefy one that I replaced and then it was like new!

·
Registered
34 Posts
A few months ago there was a similar thread, as I mentioned there, and Wayne mentioned above. Left and right are different sizes. With the right (passengers side) being the beefy one that I replaced and then it was like new!
I have 80k miles on my car and when its cold it has the same issue. Once above 40 degrees, it seems to work fine.
Concur on all the previous posts. Two different struts. The passenger side one is the HD one.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Hi all,

Our 2012 XC70 has about 100K miles and runs great except for the tailgate. Pressing the interior, remote, or rear door buttons all activate the opening sequence normally until the tailgate almost reaches the top of its travel. Essentially, it goes up about 80% of the way and stops. If manually pushing the door up the rest of the way, it almost stays up but the slightest downward pressure will see it drop back to where it stopped on the way up.

From reading the forums here I think the problem is failure of the two gas springs but I don't know how to diagnose it with certainty. Can anyone help?

Thanks!
One way to check if it is set uncorrectly, or if a part is needing replacing is:

Open the trunk, and push it up until it doesn't go any further. If the trunk drops back down to where it used to be, you need to replace the struts. If the trunk drops only like maybe an inch or 1.5inches then something bumped it, and it wasn't set correctly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts