SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 XC-90 V8 Sport
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A quick search through this forum turns up quite a few "Power System Service Urgent" posts. My experience with that warning message is similar to some of them, but not precisely the same as any.

My '08 V8 Sport (~76k miles) had been running quite well, and in fact, ran close to flawlessly on a nearly 6,000 mile trip to/from the Rockies last month. The warning message appeared when I got back to PA, about two weeks ago. It flashed on as I was pulling into a parking lot, but was no longer there when I later restarted the car. The car ran without incident for the past two weeks, but the warning reappeared yesterday evening during a relatively short trip on the highway. I was close to home, and the car showed no signs of trouble, so decided to try and make it home. The warning message disappeared after a few minutes, so I thought I was in the clear, but it reappeared just as I was pulling into my driveway.

I measured 12.6 volts from the battery when I did a quick check this morning. After starting the car (no warning message appeared), the measured voltage was 14.3, dropping to 14.1 with a load (high beams, fog lights, audio system and blower on). Unfortunately, I don't have access to VIDA for more a precise DX.

I know that there can be multiple reasons for that particular warning message, but wonder if anyone has a feel for the likely culprit given the preceding narrative.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
That’s how my ‘08 started acting before the alternator died. Have you checked to see if the windshield washer fluid valve under the hood on the passenger’s side is leaking? That’s what killed mine before 100k miles.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
The next time you get that warning message, leave the engine running and measure voltage at the battery. If it's around 12 volts or less, it's most likely the alternator.

·
Registered
2008 XC-90 V8 Sport
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
That’s how my ‘08 started acting before the alternator died. Have you checked to see if the windshield washer fluid valve under the hood on the passenger’s side is leaking? That’s what killed mine before 100k miles.
Ironically, the passenger side washer valve was broken and leaking fluid when I bought the car nearly a year and half ago. It may have contributed to the charging system problem (which would seem to be the alternator), but the fitting was replaced about 16 months ago and the car ran without issues until just a couple of weeks ago.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
That was most likely enough to start causing issues. Sadly, it’s a rough job. Save yourself tons of agrevation, and just buy a new Bosch or a reman Bosch. It’s too much work to try anything else, only to find out it’s no good or lives a short life. I went through it with one from Advance Auto Parts, then I had to fight with them for a refund. I wasn’t trying another one. I got lucky enough to find a reman Bosch on eBay for $125 shipped.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts