SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, I need a bit of help with my mother's 2008 XC70 power steering. She doesn't have a ton of money so we're trying to see what's up for cheapish.

The pump makes hydraulic whining/groaning noises at idle and they increase in volume substantially if the wheel is turned even a little bit. It has probably been doing this for many months/years. She has poor hearing and listens to the radio all the time so whenever I drive it (rarely) I find new noises like this. It increases in pitch if the engine is revved up (tested in neutral). I've examined the fluid and it does not appear to be low. When the engine is running, it swirls and the top gets bubbly (not foam, but bubbles ~2-3mm in diameter). It's a very dark brown and appears to be slightly greasy, like hamburger grease on top of water. Is this normal? The owner's manual seems to suggest that flushing the power steering fluid is not needed, but I'd say it's reasonable in this case.

Given the length of time I estimate this has been happening, it seems likely to me that the pump is damaged. Is it a challenge to replace? I actually own VIDA for some other electronics work but I haven't checked what it says. What is the likelihood that the bad pump has damaged the rack? It doesn't seem that steering effort has been impeded yet, but I very rarely drive the car. The obvious solution is to go to the dealer and have them sort it out, but she would be very appreciative if I could offer a less expensive solution with confidence.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Correct power steering fluid is Pentosin CHF 202. It is light clear green. Suggesting flushing the system. Cost about $20/quart.

Suck out the old fluid from the PS tank. Fill with new. Disconnect return hose (to the PS tank) and direct into a collection jar. Start engine. It will pump fast. Have a helper to run/stop engine. Keep filling PS tank as old pumps out. Turn steering wheel as engine runs. Reconnect everything and drive.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Correct power steering fluid is Pentosin CHF 202. It is light clear green. Suggesting flushing the system. Cost about $20/quart.

Suck out the old fluid from the PS tank. Fill with new. Disconnect return hose (to the PS tank) and direct into a collection jar. Start engine. It will pump fast. Have a helper to run/stop engine. Keep filling PS tank as old pumps out. Turn steering wheel as engine runs. Reconnect everything and drive.
I apologize if this is too amateur sounding, but is flushing the power steering fluid really as simple as this sounds? Or is what you are suggesting just "changing?" Or is changing the same as "flushing?"

I ask because I am 66K miles with my '10 V70 and took it in the dealer, and they said I should consider flushing the power steering fluid soon. Since this was my first service appointment outside of the 5yr/60K miles safe & secure plan, the $250 bill was enough right before Christmas.

·
Registered
392 Posts
The goal to to remove the old contaminated fluid by "flushing" new fluid through the system. It is an easy process as shown on the above video. I did my 2007 S80 this past summer using two quarts. My system fluid was not nearly as dark as the video. I did remove and clean the tank, but mine was clean. Took maybe an hour.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts