SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2006 Xc70 has an odd, for lack of a better word, wobble, in the power steering. When taking long gradual turns where I'm holding the steering wheel at around a 30 degree angle (center being at 9 or 3 o'clock) the power steering tightens and loosens kind of like the fluid pressures aren't being maintained.

My first thought was power steering fluid, but the system is freshly flushed.

The next thing I though I would try is to change the power steering pump, yet after replacement it behaved the same way.

I wouldn't think it would be belt tension because that would cause a belt squeak as the belt slipped.

I'm pretty puzzled. Has anyone else experienced this or have an idea of the cure?

Note: as I write this I begin to wonder if I have a variable assist power steering rack and perhaps that could be at fault. I'm doubtful my car has one though. It's a pretty base model.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Feel like mine has done some version of this its whole life. Almost like it's tugging you back as you try and hug a curve? The steering is my least favorite thing about these cars.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Check the lower wishbone arm bushes. If they've deteriorated it could be that.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did check the suspension, but I did not check the sub frame - a.k.a. engine cradle?

The entire suspension is tight, and the shocks were replaced all the way around in the last 30k. Judging by condition I would speculate the lower control arm bushing have about the same amount of miles on them.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
My V70's steering had a similar feeling until I got poly subframe inserts
:) This is exactly what I hoped those would do. Can't wait to install...

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Now that you mentioned it, I noticed a similar wobble when I first got the XC and now I no longer have this wobble. I have the inserts, but I've also replaced all the bushing/mounts and the steering rack (due to play on the passenger's side).

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've ordered the sub frame bushing to install this weekend. If that fixes it I will be very happy.

Antherzoll, I'm really hoping I don't have to change the rack. I was prepared too when I bought the car because I've seen so many XCs develop play in the rack, but mine thus far has no leaks and no play.

Down in the USA re-man racks aren't particularly expensive ($350 + freight), but I've not had a rack be the cause if this kind of wobble before. I've seen kind of similar problems with the newer electronic power steering racks where there is a warn sport at certain points, but it feels quite different.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And maybe if I have time I'll also install the xc90 calipers on the car too. I was trying to do that last weekend but ended up chasing the power steering fault instead. Nothing like hours of work without any pay off!

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
And maybe if I have time I'll also install the xc90 calipers on the car too. I was trying to do that last weekend but ended up chasing the power steering fault instead. Nothing like hours of work without any pay off!

Looking forward to pics of the install! :)

I'm not saying the rack is the cause of the wobble, just stating what I've serviced in relation steering. When my rack has play it made a slight knocking and vibration, and felt like inner tie rod wear when grasping the wheel at 9 & 3, but upon inspecting the rack the play was lateral and not axial.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Installed the bushing, and I can't say the steering feels any different. The wobble remains, and I honestly can't feel any difference in the way the car rides drives instillation either. Maybe it is in the power steering rack?

Though, truthfully, I haven't been able to notice any changes I make to the car after putting the wheels and tires on it. Perhaps they are the overkill the negates everything else?

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
So, no easy go for the brakes. To secure the XC90 calipers to the wheel hub I will have to drill the holes a few mm larger, and I just did not feel like doing that today. I also didn't feel like irreversibly modifying the mounting without much forethought.

I will check R calipers to see if they would require similar modification. I'm still not sure I feel like paying for R brakes though...

So, ANOTHER fruitless weekend without resolving any the issues I aimed to resolve. A friend of mine was helping doodle with it and he drove mine in comparison to his* and he brought up a point I had forgotten to mention: my power steering is the lightest I've ever experiences on an XC70, and really any P2 Volvo. It's a one finger Jaguar kind of light.

*he also took pictures and might could be convinced to share?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
FWIW I drove a 2014 XC70 with 15k on it this weeend and I have to say that though the suspension certainly felt superior to my car (which has about 100k more miles on the original shocks and struts) the steering still had the light, numb, wobbly feeling through curves that I have become accustomed to. Wasn't sure whether to be disappointed or happy hahaha. Certainly made me feel better about my car though :)

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My coworker has a very similar fault as my car and he diagnosed his fault to warn spots in the rack. He didn't have play in the rack or leaks, just a similar wobble.

I suppose I will start saving pennies for a rack in case I can't find a different reason for it being there. *le sigh*

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Installed the bushing, and I can't say the steering feels any different. The wobble remains, and I honestly can't feel any difference in the way the car rides drives instillation either. Maybe it is in the power steering rack?

Though, truthfully, I haven't been able to notice any changes I make to the car after putting the wheels and tires on it. Perhaps they are the overkill the negates everything else?
Damn... Sorry if I misguided you.

What kinda PS fluid did you use?

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Damn... Sorry if I misguided you.

What kinda PS fluid did you use?
No worries mate. I didn't expect a cure, but I was curious if it would make a noticeable difference. No harm no foul.

And I used Pentosin CHF 11.S

·
Registered
151 Posts
Steering wobble

I had a weird wobble in my '03 XC70 that turned out to be a worn inner tie rod. fwiw...

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Interestingly enough my wife, the car's primary driver, thought it was better after my efforts.

*shrug* I'm not quite ready to throw a rack at it yet. I'll poke around a while before doing that.

"Seek and ye shall find more than you thought you were looking for."

1 - 20 of 55 Posts