SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after driving her car for the first time in two weeks yesterday, my wife complained of her steering being tough. I drove it to work today to get a feel for it and man, it IS really hard to turn the wheel. There's no crazy noises from the rack or pump when turning the wheel, and it's not just hard at slow speeds. It's hard ALL the time. And the wheels don't want to right themselves. Tonight, I got under the car and there's no visible leaking or damage on the rack itself. There's the all-too-typical weeping at the reservoir and the suction hose, so the fluid was just under the cold line (when it was hot), so I refilled the reservoir, and took it for a drive. It was a little better…but still really bad. I will also go ahead and order a replacement reservoir and suction hose (probably with the MY 05+ version…just gotta track down that thread). But any ideas what else could be causing that? She said it had gotten a little tough before we left town, but it was drastically more noticeable now. Do the pumps ever fail without warning/noises/etc? Could the suction valve on the reservoir be broken shut (just saw this on a video before starting this thread)? Could greasing up the u-bolt on the column make the difference (will try this tomorrow night)? I've searched and read all I could find…but couldn't find quite what I was looking for. Any help would be massively appreciated!

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Is it a speed sensitive rack? If so the assist solenoid may have failed.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's an 03. What year did that option become available? If it was an option in 03, what do I look for to tell? I've read threads about those creating problems, but admittedly didn't even entertain that it could have that option...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Try the u-joint also. It seems that after sitting for a while you have had the problem. I would try using WD40 or something like this and spray the joint really good and the the steering wheel a few times while the wheels are off the ground. Spray some more and turn some more. See if this fixes your problem. Remember your car spent some time in the rust belt. Glück.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Try the u-joint also. It seems that after sitting for a while you have had the problem. I would try using WD40 or something like this and spray the joint really good and the the steering wheel a few times while the wheels are off the ground. Spray some more and turn some more. See if this fixes your problem. Remember your car spent some time in the rust belt. Glück.
What's the best way to access the u joint?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Jack up the front of the car on both sides, slide under driver side, spray steering shaft u-joint with oil, turn steering shaft at steering and few times, spray u-joint again, and test drive. Hopefully this fixes the problem.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Just remember WD40 is not a good lubricant.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got some aerosol white lithium grease--that should do the trick, right?

Thanks for the input JT. I'll try that tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow! Thanks for that link, FF! That looks to be the ticket. I may try to do this today, if I can manage the time after work. I'll report back on how it went. Regarding his recommendation to use rust remover before lubrication, does anyone have a recommendation for a rust remover that would be good/safe to use on this bearing? I'd like to be prepared, assuming that the bearing is fairly oxidized at this point…

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Interesting that just today one of the kids came by with the 2002 S60 with stiff steering. It had just gotten worse over the last few days. It has rained a bit over the last few days and it was stiffer as the steering wheel was in the 3:00 and 9:00 positions. Found that the bearing cage out of the rubber boot on the steering shaft. Pulled the boot and oiled the u-joint. Wiggled the shaft in all four u-joint positions until until it was loose without any hint of stiffness. Reattached shaft and sprayed with lube. Turned steering wheel a few times back and forth lock to lock. Steering was not binding anymore. Put everything back together and it drives like it should without binding.

This is the second Volvo shaft that I have done like this and had no more issues with binding. Will see how long this lasts. To replace with OEM new shaft is about U$70. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wasn't able to get my hands on any evapo rust until this afternoon, and then something came up that I had to deal with. But just a preliminary lubing of the joint was a big help. I'll find an evening this week where I can do just what J5T described. Sounds like it's gonna solve my problem too…

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
It is easier from under the car. However, if you go from the interior and removed the boot, disconnect the steering shaft from the inside, you can flex the u-joint to the end of its range and free it up faster by flexing in it all four directions. I did this on my son's car and found the u-joint stiff only in two directions. It may take a little longer if you don't disconnect the shaft. The first vehicle I did this to some years ago I didn't disconnect the shaft.

If you disconnect the shaft it is very important not to turn the steering wheel or steering shaft so they are out of alignment with each other. If you get the alignment off the steering wheel clock spring will be out of alignment. This will not be good for the car.

This is a fairly easy operation to do. If your u-joint does not come around with after lubing it, get a new one. Mark the old one, make picture, so you know exactly how to put the new on. You want to get it on in the exact position so clock spring is correct and front end wheel alignment is not altered. Hope this helps.

Btw, kid says the steering has no more drive issues and drives like there was never an issue.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I think when the vehicle lives in a salty environment this is more likely to happen. But it seems to be an easy fix for it. Hope you never need to do this.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts