SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Volvo v50 2.4i which has a stiff power steering. I changed the fluid but still the same problem. I think it the pump but I'm not sure. BTW this is my first car so yeah don't know much about Volvos.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi absark,

How old is the belt? hows the tension on the belt? Not sure what the tensioner setup is on that belt as mine has the EPS system but a lack of tension paired with an old or worn belt can cause the belt to slip and as a result, the steering can feel a bit stiff and the belt will slip at full lock. My old Toyota had those symptoms and replacing the belt and tensioner and flushing the system solved the problem. Worth looking into?

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
These cars don't have an accessory belt for the power steering pump. The only 2 accessory belts run the a/c compressor and the alternator. The power steering is an electro-hydraulic pump that's located in the front right side of the car, essentially under the right headlight, and you have to remove the plastic wheel liner to get to it. Take a look at this thread I started where I linked a couple vids of the location and noise: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ic-Power-Steering-Pump-is-this-a-normal-whine

This is my first car ever in 30 years with this type of pump, and I do find that the steering is stiff and the whine from the pump is annoying, but apparently it's not abnormal. How did you change your PS fluid? There is a sticky thread here in the S40/V50 forum. You basically need to get both wheels off the ground and turn the wheel lock-to-lock several times to get all the fluid drained out of the rack. Use a good quality fluid to refill like Pentosin.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information. I went to though the pain to have both front wheels off the ground so I could turn the wheels lock to lock and used a pump to remove most of the fluid I could. I also I went to the trouble to get the right power steering fluid Volvo uses also but still no luck. I'll probably have to buy whole new pump which isn't worth the money. Probably have to live it

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts