SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's the situation:

I've got a leaky PS reservoir; leaking at the seams and there is fluid all over the top cap. The leak is sort of slow, but I know when it gets low because I hear a slight groaning noise. I don't know what fluid was put in last time (when pump was replaced a few years ago), but I had to top up with some Prestone PS fluid. So there are most likely different kinds in there as well.

I've been told I need to replace the reservoir, which makes sense. I'm going to use CHF-11S fluid since everyone says to use that and not random stuff from the store.

I'd like to get as much of the old stuff out, and I want to know if this would be a good procedure:

1. Suck out fluid from old reservoir.
2. Take out reservoir.
3. Attach hose to return line.
4. Run engine for a short time to pump out a little more fluid (I don't want to run it dry, but could I add new fluid as the old is being drawn out, until it runs clear with the new stuff?).
5. Put new reservoir in place + top up.
6. Jack car up a little to avoid tire damage.
7. W/ engine off, turn wheel back and forth to bleed (reservoir cap on or off?). Add as needed.
8. Run engine and repeat wheel turning (10 second reps 20 times) and add as necessary (again, cap on or off?)

Any suggestions/improvements/help would be great. Or if what I'm going to do is going to blow up the car, let me know as well! Thanks!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got my reservoir today, so I'm going to tackle this pretty soon. I think I'm going to pour in the new fluid quickly as the old is being pumped out, while having someone turn the wheels. This looks like a fast and effective way to do it. People have said that the pump moves the fluid really quickly and that this method makes the job really fast.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.