SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's the situation:<p>I've got a leaky PS reservoir; leaking at the seams and there is fluid all over the top cap. The leak is sort of slow, but I know when it gets low because I hear a slight groaning noise. I don't know what fluid was put in last time (when pump was replaced a few years ago), but I had to top up with some Prestone PS fluid. So there are most likely different kinds in there as well.<p>I've been told I need to replace the reservoir, which makes sense. I'm going to use CHF-11S fluid since everyone says to use that and not random stuff from the store.<p>I'd like to get as much of the old stuff out, and I want to know if this would be a good procedure:<p>1. Suck out fluid from old reservoir.<br>2. Take out reservoir.<br>3. Attach hose to return line.<br>4. Run engine for a short time to pump out a little more fluid (I don't want to run it dry, but could I add new fluid as the old is being drawn out, until it runs clear with the new stuff?).<br>5. Put new reservoir in place + top up.<br>6. Jack car up a little to avoid tire damage.<br>7. W/ engine off, turn wheel back and forth to bleed (reservoir cap on or off?). Add as needed.<br>8. Run engine and repeat wheel turning (10 second reps 20 times) and add as necessary (again, cap on or off?)<p>Any suggestions/improvements/help would be great. Or if what I'm going to do is going to blow up the car, let me know as well! Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just had my rack replaced on my '99 XC and the shop used Valvoline fluid, but I'd like to have the CHF-11S in there also, so, I'm glad to see this! I look forward to the answer.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got my reservoir today, so I'm going to tackle this pretty soon. I think I'm going to pour in the new fluid quickly as the old is being pumped out, while having someone turn the wheels. This looks like a fast and effective way to do it. People have said that the pump moves the fluid really quickly and that this method makes the job really fast.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts