SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seeing a little seeping right below the power steering pump in my V8- https://photos.app.goo.gl/S8cujXipS9dcmkKFA , going to order one in a minute along with some other parts. When I did my valve covers and aux belt at 110k, I debated the expense of doing the pump then and I was told it had never been replaced. Couple years later, here I am. Not an emergency by any means but I'll get it replaced.

Price on this part hovers around $ 460-480 if you buy from an OE reseller and there's a $100 core charge added. Since the OE "exchange" pump PN 36000748 is itself a rebuild, I was wondering if anyone had a line to rebuilding them separately? Seems one could get a little more than $100 out of the deal if the rebuild work was solid.

Seeping on mine looks like it's coming from the rear cover, is this usually where it starts?

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ordered PS pump. Ordered a water pump kit and thermostat and some coolant hoses as well, figure if I'm in the neighborhood I might as well get all the all accessible front stuff out of the way, so it's all done. I'll get some photos when I do the work. Still interested if anyone has a line on a pump re-builder.

In the meantime, a blast from the past for those of you who own V8s, gives a little idea as to the design thought process- https://www.media.volvocars.com/global/en-gb/media/pressreleases/5015 and a good photo of the block front- https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:2005_Volvo_V8_engine.jpg

·
Registered
238 Posts
How does it leak? I remember reading somewhere it’s just an worn o ring or two in the pressured line...

·
Registered
837 Posts
Ordered PS pump. Ordered a water pump kit and thermostat and some coolant hoses as well, figure if I'm in the neighborhood I might as well get all the all accessible front stuff out of the way, so it's all done. I'll get some photos when I do the work. Still interested if anyone has a line on a pump re-builder.

In the meantime, a blast from the past for those of you who own V8s, gives a little idea as to the design thought process- https://www.media.volvocars.com/global/en-gb/media/pressreleases/5015 and a good photo of the block front- https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:2005_Volvo_V8_engine.jpg
Have you tackled this job yet?

Mine is having the same symptoms. Since I'm having the Valve Cover gaskets done next week, I'm strongly considering doing this too, while everything is apart anyway ...

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not yet, have a bunch of parts in boxes and I'll put together the list when I have more time. The seeping is almost making it to the bottom of the front timing cover so the work is going be done sooner than later.

On the fence as to whether I'll send the old pump back in for core refund, I'll start looking for a rebuilder once I have the old part out and decide.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I'm seeing a little seeping right below the power steering pump in my V8- https://photos.app.goo.gl/S8cujXipS9dcmkKFA , going to order one in a minute along with some other parts.
My D5 Diesel power steering pump weeps slightly.
I clean up the seepage a very few months (CRC does a wonderful job of dissolving the fluid) and only need to top up every 2 or 3 years or so.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Not yet, have a bunch of parts in boxes and I'll put together the list when I have more time. The seeping is almost making it to the bottom of the front timing cover so the work is going be done sooner than later.

On the fence as to whether I'll send the old pump back in for core refund, I'll start looking for a rebuilder once I have the old part out and decide.
1. Is the seeping coming from the pump body, or the suction Supply Hose (Volvo p/n 31280848)? This little bugger hose btw is a whopping $80 or so. What's so special about this hose?

2. Are these power steering pumps (Volvo p/n 36000748) specially calibrated for the "Servotronic speed-sensitive technology" on the Sport and R-Design? Or is that a function of the steering rack design? I ask because I wonder if I have my pump rebuilt, it may be rebuilt (or exchanged) for a non Sport or R-Design version unbeknownst to the rebuilder ...

I'm also reading that a "relay, or solenoid switch" is responsible for the speed sensitive feature, and not the pump ...

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's leaking from rear plate interface, once I have it out I'll get a photo. Single pump PN for the V8, and rack replacement was 36050017 based on what Lisle told me (original PN dependent). I always thought the speed sensitive profile was a software something or another specific to our variants, now I believe it's just a version mapped control unit (aka PSU 4/99)-

Control unit 1.00 31360223 Variant code: 8W0A., Variant code: 8W08., Variant code: 8W01.
Control unit 1.00 31360221 Variant code: 8W13. Chassis Sport

There's something from the CEM coming in via LIN (guessing wheel speed), and the control unit connects to the valve (6/71) which I'm sure is a pulsed duty cycle managing the assist as you allude. Nothing in the documentation but you can see the path in a wiring diagram.

Learn something new every day.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Pump replaced, was the source of the leak. See link https://photos.app.goo.gl/biUK5fYifiYobj7g6 for visual reference, pump pictures at the end.

*** Still interested in rebuilding this pump versus returning to Volvo for the $100 core charge. If anyone knows where this might be done, please post. ***

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
All done, no leaks (PS or coolant), went out for a drive and it steers really nice. Seems just a touch more responsive than before but that my be my own bias.

Might be overkill but when I do pump, I lift the front of the vehicle and put it on jackstands, then turn the steering wheel gently end to end 8-10 times or so to get a good fill throughout the system before starting the engine. I neglected to do this on a pump replacement with the '05, started up with what seemed like 5 seconds of awful screech which I'm sure was not good for the pump. Adds a whole 30 minutes to the job (used the opportunity to rotate my tires front/back as each side was raised).

I did not do a fluid flush since I have fresh CHF202 from the rack replacement around 20k ago but if you're doing a new pump on an older vehicle, do the wheel movement as part of a full drain/fill with a good 2 quarts of Pentosin CHF (11S if you cannot find 202) so the whole system is fresh.

Procedure is around somewhere but for all XC90 with the rectangular reservoir:
Take the top rubber hose off the reservoir and cap the reservoir fitting.
Attach the hose through a barbed fitting to another (clear) hose to a 1/2 gallon container that's on the ground.
With wheels up, turn gently back and forth until you see fluid moving then fill the reservoir with the same amount.
Turn the steering wheel lock to lock as many times as you have fresh fluid to do so, again gentle is the word.
Close everything back up, run vehicle, recheck level and top up as needed.

I'm not a fan of running the engine for this work, especially with the way the V8 starts up on it's own, too easy NOT to stay caught up with what's being drained. Stop when you see a food amount of fresh fluid in the container but if you can do 1.5 qts with the rest for top-up, you'll be happy.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Seems like there are a couple folk offering reseal kits for the V8 power steering pump, here's one (these folk offer a whole bunch of other Volvo seals it appears)- Fix a leaking Volvo XC90 , S80 4.4L V8 power steering pump; the cheap - RKXtech

I have two pumps in the garage, think I'll buy one and give it a try. Sadly a rebuild kit was not available when I replaced the first pump and I was skeptical of the cause just being o-rings when I did the second pump but now that I think more about and as as hot as the engine gets under the hood, I'll bet this is exactly the most common cause for leaks. My leaks have always come from the back plate,now that I see the pump open it's more obvious that the seals not longer function properly.

I'll post back one day with and update. In the meantime, if any V8 owner is having a problem with a leaking pump and does not want to spend $500 plus for a new one, give this a try . If you do the re-seal and it's all dry afterwards, please post. If you're over 120k and fixing the pump, consider combining this with an aux/serpentine belt job.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did the kit, pretty straight forward. Can see how flattened the old o-rings were. This pump is a spare for now, maybe I'll put it in for a test the next time I have either of the belts off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts