SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went on a long vacation this summoner and when I got back I immediately noticed a problem with my 2006 S60R's steering. It felt a lot stiffer, which made me a bit nervous so I inspected all the suspension components of the car and made sure nothing was visibly damaged. My power steering fluid is full and it doesn't make any sounds that I've heard. The difficulty in steering isn't linear, however. If I'm turning to steering lock to park for example, my steering alternates between being extremely difficult to turn to a bit easier roughly every quarter turn of the steering wheel. When the car is in motion, it's very difficult to turn the wheel a small amount in each direction, and once I've turned the wheel a little bit it loosens up in that particular direction, and makes the other side more difficult to steer. Is there a problem with my power steering pump or the steering rack? It seems to be getting worse and I need the car to remain viable for daily commuting purposes. Thanks to anyone in advance who knows more about diagnosis than I do!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I would suspect steering pump or steering rack solenoid. Also I had a problem with steering rack relay when my wheel was extremely difficult to turn in various conditions

·
Registered
8,055 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
My guess is u-joint got a bit rusty while you were on vacation. Before buying anything, lubricate the lower u-joint on the steering shaft. You can gain good access by prying off rubber boot at firewall. Spray it with some silicone grease, turn steering wheel back and forth, spray more and turn more several times. I did replace above mentioned relay and solenoid - none helped. Too bad, I got to lubricating step as my last option before pump/rack replacement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts