SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
Yesterday I flushed my power steering on our 2010 xc90 3.2
This was the first time I've done this on this particular car (and any volvo) but not my first rodeo. :)
I had watched some how to videos, specifically those by you-tuber volvosweden on his 2009 xc70.
I guess I was expecting the return line to be the same as his, a rubber hose with a removable clip (the connection that goes to the fluid reservoir).
What I found on the xc90 is a braided return line with a clip that is not removable.
The procedure that I was going to follow was to insert a clear hose into a rubber return line, plug the return port on the reservoir, and top off while turning the wheels allowing the car to pump out it's own fluid.
Since I could not remove the clip, or make a decent connection with the various clear tubes I had available, what I ended up doing was to put a long funnel into the feed line,
and with the reservoir connected to the return line I turned the wheels which filled the bottle.
I used my gear oil pump to remove the old/flushed fluid from the bottle. This method worked for me, but was a bit unavoidably messy.

Initially when I discovered that I couldn't remove the clip on the return line I figured this job would be much more simple if there were a way to connect to this clip, in terms of an adapter which could then connect to a waste oil hose.
Is there such a tool or connection available?
How do you guys flush your power steering?

·
Registered
536 Posts
I use a turkey baster to suck out old fluid and of course it has to be done more than once between driving intervals. It eases my conscience on not doing a proper flush.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used a turkey baster for the initial removal of the old fluid from the reservoir and topping off at the end.

I'm doing our 08 xc70 next, which has a rubber return hose with a removable elbow connector to the fluid reservoir.
I expect that car to go much smoother.

·
Registered
819 Posts
It sounds like you ran into an Oetiker clamp. You can remove them by working a flathead screwdriver into the protruding ear and working it loose. Once they're off they can't be reused. You can buy replacement clamps and a crimping tool or just grab some worm drive clamps from your local parts store.

Your original plan is exactly what I did on mine.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It sounds like you ran into an Oetiker clamp.
I wish i took a picture of the clamp on the braided hose (below the clamp), I recall it looked a bit different than the Oetiker clamp you mentioned. I may be wrong, I'll have another look at the connection and clamp.
I'm familiar with those clamps from my years of driveway mechanics on most of the Volkswagens I've had.

I had an idea which would include using a sacrificial used fluid reservoir. If a suitable connection can't be found, perhaps next time I may replace the bottle and cut off the return line tube on my existing bottle, or maybe one can be found in a junkyard, then use that to connect to the clip on the braided hose, insert a clear tube to that and in theory, have a leak proof waste fluid line.

A fluid syringe works well here:

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-2359-Oil-Suction-Gun/dp/B00FJT0304

I just did a suck and fill once a week until it became clean and green.

-Ryan
I used an Aleko BST 1017 gear oil pump to extract from the fluid reservoir.

I'd like to figure out a cleaner method to do this flush for future reference as I'd like to make this a routine maintenance.
My intention with creating this thread is to hopefully document searchable info to help others.
Good info so far guys, thank you.

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,300 Posts

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
If you're referring to something other than the clamp on the other side of the cooler, please provide a visual. I'm seeing a clip assembly for the reservoir that's pressed on the hose assembly for this particular part. Other cars have a clamp on the clip for hose removal, XC90 does not.

Couple more photos of the XC90 part with no hose clamp for the clip connector- https://www.bildelsbasen.se/se-sv/OEM/31360812/ and the XC70 part with hose clamp 31323018- https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/volvo-suction-hose-31323018

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,300 Posts
I see what you are referring to for the center hose. Yeah, there is one hose clamp and one of those clips. You can see more in detail in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MArIImi_q9c

I usually do a drain and refill with starting the engine and turning the steering wheel left to right a few times after each drain/refill, until the liter of fluid is done. I wish I knew from personal experience how to remove the clip, but it looks like from the video there are press tabs to release it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can see more in detail in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MArIImi_q9c
I did see that video when I was doing my flush. I found it helpful as a plan B to my original plan.
You can see in this photo below, the xc70 clip is the same as on the xc90 except on the xc70, the clip is on an elbow which is removable from the rubber hose.
Had the xc90 configuration been the same, I wouldn't have made this thread to begin with.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
5df813de66809f7082a8dcf50aebb9d372108fd60x0_fob_wm.jpg

Gotta be someone smart out there who can put together a "kit" with a hose adapter adapter for the clip and a cap for the reservoir.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts