SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my vehicle serviced by a local independent Volvo mechanic before and he’s really good, I tried to schedule a power steering fluid flush with him but he said is not needed nor recommended by Volvo? So when the fluid goes dark and the steering whines how does that gets fixed then?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Depending on the year, the Volvo XC60 manual says something like "Power steering fluid WSS M2C204-A2 or equivalent product."
The most common product that meets this specification is Pentosin CHF 11S or CHF 202. Both are synthetic hydraulic fluids that operate over a wide temperature range and have an extremely long-life.
Pentosin CHF 11S and CHF 202 are used in many European cars and SUV.
Your mechanic is correct that if the correct fluid is being used that there is no need to change the fluid for 100,000-miles or so.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I changed my fluid out at around 100,000 miles and had no issues before or after the change. The fluid in the system was a dark color but the reservoir filter was clear. If you google VolvoSweden on YouTube he has a great video on the change and I used the same method. Also like stated above the Pentosin fluids are compatible but I used Genuine Volvo and purchased it through FCP Euro for the lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I changed my fluid out at around 100,000 miles and had no issues before or after the change. The fluid in the system was a dark color but the reservoir filter was clear. If you google VolvoSweden on YouTube he has a great video on the change and I used the same method. Also like stated above the Pentosin fluids are compatible but I used Genuine Volvo and purchased it through FCP Euro for the lifetime warranty.
So I followed the video described in this comment, however the noise did not go away, when I turn the vehicle on you can hear the whining noise looking from what it looks like the AC compressor, however turning the ac off does not stop the loud whining noise, and gets louder when steering, could it be the pump gone bad? Where is the pump located?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I changed mine at 65K miles on our '13 XC60 by just emptying the reservoir and filling it back with new Pentosin fluid I purchased from FCPEuro and it reduced the steering studder I was getting at low-speed steering.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Was fluid dark? I have changed fluid in the 08 and 13. Also took off res. and washed out good with brake clean, and blew out with air.. You have to flush screen from cap side, as screen is NOT on the return hose like most.

·
Registered
135 Posts
If your power steering pump starts whining and it's physically difficult to turn the steering wheel replace the power steering fluid immediately.

Lots of car makers neglect power steering fluid changes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The fluid was dark, I flushed it as shown in the YouTube video by VolvoSweden, cleaned the reservoir and everything.
is not hard to steer however is hella noisy, but the whine starts the moment the car is on then gets louder when steering. I took a couple of videos.
another weird thing is it seems the noise is coming from the air compressor, but the noise remains even is the AC is off.

noise while steering

AC Compressor?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm afraid the power steering pump is already damaged.

As far as I'm concerned no fluid is "lifetime".

The AC compressor noise is ok I think. I thought mine was done too by similar sounds. I figure as long as it blows cold air it's fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there a guide for DIY to replace the pump? I contacted a mechanic to do it for me and it’s been 10 days with no fix, the guy keeps saying the part hasn’t arrived, I’m pretty sure if I ordered it myself it would be here by now.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Is there a guide for DIY to replace the pump? I contacted a mechanic to do it for me and it’s been 10 days with no fix, the guy keeps saying the part hasn’t arrived, I’m pretty sure if I ordered it myself it would be here by now.
Replacing the power steering pump on the T6 engine is pretty doable. The only thing you have to worry about is the really fussy power steering lines, and the small amount of room that you have. While you are in there replacing the pump, I recommend that replace the hose clamps with easy screw on ones that you can reuse, and do not have to replace everytime.

If I remember correctly, you have to remove the battery/box/tray, and the air box. Then that whole belt/pulley side of the engine is acessible. I believe that there is four screws that hold it on, and some hard jimmy-ing will get it off.

I did it a few years ago on a friends T6, when he let his PS fluid run dry and he killed the pump.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts