SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '04 manual states that Automatic Transmission Fluid is used for the power steering. Volvo sells a quart for $21+ while most locations sell a quart of ATF type F for $3.<p>Is there anything really special about Volvo's fluid that justifies the 7x price premium?

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Re: Power Steering Fluid (rqc)

Volvo stopped using ATF and switched to Pentosin CHF11S. So there may be an apples and oranges thing going on.<p>Autobarn gets $25, I have to look for the cheap place I got mine......<p>Here it is for $14<p><A HREF="http://www.tdiparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=408" TARGET="_blank">http://www.tdiparts.com/catalo...d=408</A><p>

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Re: Power Steering Fluid (rqc)

If your car is still under warranty, use the recommended fluid just to be safe. I would hate to see a problem that would not be covered under warranty because of the fluid you used. Just my 2c's

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: Power Steering Fluid (JimLill)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>JimLill</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Volvo stopped using ATF and switched to Pentosin CHF11S. So there may be an apples and oranges thing going on.<br></TD></TR></TABLE><p>I have issues with the way auto manufacturers do this. How are you supposed to know that the recommended fluid has changed? Does Volvo send out notices to all the RO's? They can't possibly expect that everyone who needs a fluid change is going to the dealer? And do they expect the dealers to inform those who do? <p>I had this issue with my '99 Grand Cherokee...Jeep changed the recommended fluid in the Quadra Trac II transfer case via a TSB. The TSB told the SM's that if a person came in for a "loss of 4WD" to flush the trans case and replace with the new fluid. The old was ATF with friction additive.<p>Add to this that the recommended flushing for the trans case was 50,000 miles, which is 14,000 miles out of warranty. So what do I do? I get out the lifts and do it myself. No big deal.<p>at 61,000 miles, my transfer case eats itself, badly. I went to the dealer. They told me I needed a new one. Kind of rare for a car that's done 61,000 miles in less than 2 years and hardly ever had the 4WD engaged for it to eat itself, I said? "It happens" was the response I got from Daimler Chrysler customer service (yes, I elevated it way above the dealer level).<p>So a new trans case goes in. At 100,000 miles, I flush the new case. Only this time, it's winter, so almost right away I notice no 4WD. Dealer flushes and replaces with the new fluid and tells me that you're not supposed to use ATF, use this new stuff. BTW, this was a known TSB WHEN I BOUGHT THE CAR BRAND NEW!<p>I know, kinda OT, I felt the need to vent. But what's the reason for the PS fluid spec change?

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Re: Power Steering Fluid (needsdecaf)

The new fluid will mix with the old... the new fluid is better at low temps..........<br>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts