SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 27,000 miles over nearly two years (counting from when the steering rack was replaced because of a leak at 10,000), I've lost about a quarter-inch of power steering fluid on my '13 FWD. I assume it's seeping out someplace, but at a phenomenally slow rate. My garage floor is dry. Nearly down to the Min line.

Can this be considered normal?

·
Registered
28 Posts
My 2012 S60 T5 has 34,000 miles on it and the 30,000 mile service was about five months ago.

The power steering fluid level on my car is at minimum after just five months. Should I bring it in to the dealer or top it off with ATF (apparently these cars use ATF fluid)? The reservoir isn't leaking.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Any noise while slowly moving the steering wheel while parked? Whistle in the distance?
No sounds or performance issues that I can detect. My previous car, an Audi A4, needed a power steering fluid flush after about 120k miles (return line filter was clogged, causing a leak) and that thing made noise.

I do a three-point turning pulling in & out of my parking spot at home, and at work I park in a six-story garage that is like a corkscrew, so wondering if I'm over-stressing the steering system.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Thinking about doing a complete flush myself, just as preventive maintenance... Some folks say I shouldnt, dont change a winning team...hmmm

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Any noise while slowly moving the steering wheel while parked? Whistle in the distance?
There is a noise that these cars make when the steering wheel is turned. Its like a low pitch squeak. It was documented in a C&D long term test, and verified by their dealer (and mine) to be normal. Just an FYI for diagnosing steering noises on these cars.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The volume of ATF in the PS system depends on its temperature.
You will get the most reliable measurement of the level of fluid in the reservoir the first thing in the AM, after the car has been sitting overnight. "Hot" measurements (after some driving) can vary a lot.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Reviving an old thread:
Any updates on potential leaks found? Anyone know of any TNN's on this? I'm at 58K miles on my 2012 S60 T5 and my power steering level in the morning after driving is below the minimum level. My gut says there's a leak and I can smell something burning after extended drives. No noise and no reduction in steering performance. Nothing seems to be coming from the pump that I can see and the lower engine cover does a great job sucking up anything leaking making it hard to tell whats happening.

I know the best thing to do is get under the car remove the cover, drive the car and check for leaks but its a PITA to remove that cover without jacking the car up. Anyone have similar issues and figure out it?

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Reviving an old thread:
Any updates on potential leaks found? Anyone know of any TNN's on this? I'm at 58K miles on my 2012 S60 T5 and my power steering level in the morning after driving is below the minimum level. My gut says there's a leak and I can smell something burning after extended drives. No noise and no reduction in steering performance. Nothing seems to be coming from the pump that I can see and the lower engine cover does a great job sucking up anything leaking making it hard to tell whats happening.

I know the best thing to do is get under the car remove the cover, drive the car and check for leaks but its a PITA to remove that cover without jacking the car up. Anyone have similar issues and figure out it?
I just topped off our power steering fluid at 64k. While buying the fluid from Volvo, I asked the service guys, and they said it was normal for it to go down. They werent sure where it went. We sre at 70k now and the level is the same as when I filled it a few months back. Top it off and see.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
My OP resulted in an O ring replacement. I'd say you have a leak.
Can your provide some more details? Was it the pump or one of the lines going to/from the steering rack?

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
My OP resulted in an O ring replacement. I'd say you have a leak.
Can your provide some more details? Was it the pump or one of the lines going to/from the steering rack?
I dont think your leak at 10 or 27k miles is the same as his car with 58k. Many people have reported the need to top off the fluid once in a while here, myself included. I still say top it off and see before exploring if its leaking.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In answer to your question, the repair order tells me two o-rings were replaced, part numbers 31202810 and 31202895. I have no idea where they're located.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
In answer to your question, the repair order tells me two o-rings were replaced, part numbers 31202810 and 31202895. I have no idea where they're located.
Those are the high and low pressure rings for the hoses to steering rack. You should be able to see a leak from that area.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Perfect. Thanks guys.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts