SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if WSS M2C204-A is compatible with WSS M2C204-A2 fluid?

It's not easy to find WSS M2C204-A fluid where I live, unless I buy Volvo OEM fluid which is about $33 USD per liter/quart. I am planning to do a thorough flush so guess I will need 2 liters (2 quarts)?

Anyway, the closest I can find is power steering fluid from Ford (see picture) which is WSS M2C204-A2 - is this basically the same stuff or does the 2 in the end make a difference?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I don't really know the answer to your question, but it ultimately sounds like you want to save a few bucks. Have you considered using pentosin chf 11s. It is power steering fluid and is the same green oem fluid. They can be found at napa for around 20/liter

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't really know the answer to your question, but it ultimately sounds like you want to save a few bucks. Have you considered using pentosin chf 11s. It is power steering fluid and is the same green oem fluid. They can be found at napa for around 20/liter
Thanks.

Yes I would like to save some money, but It is also a matter of principle avoiding the heavily marked up OEM retail parts prices. 2 liters of OEM packaged fluid is about $70, whereas I found a place where I can buy the Ford fluid for about half the price.

I have indeed considered Pentosin CHF 11s. Unfortunately I don't live in the US and hence it is not easily available or it will be just as expensive as the OEM oil.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No bidders?

I am actually going to buy 4 liters as I am going to flush a S40 as well, so finding a cheaper alternative is more relevant than ever. Don't really want to pay $140 for 4 liters of power steering fluid - that's just stupid.

Been searching the internet and came up short. Really no one who can verify that WSS M2C204-A2 is compatible with WSS M2C204-A?

·
Registered
290 Posts
No bidders?

I am actually going to buy 4 liters as I am going to flush a S40 as well, so finding a cheaper alternative is more relevant than ever. Don't really want to pay $140 for 4 liters of power steering fluid - that's just stupid.

Been searching the internet and came up short. Really no one who can verify that WSS M2C204-A2 is compatible with WSS M2C204-A?

That is safe and the same as ending with "A", ending with 2 is the latest concentration amount (which is lighter and recommended by volvo power steering fluid specially in colder climates), i had the same question before and a friend master volvo mechanic says the same. hope this helps. did mine last Feb using the Ford one's, seems the label (pix) is marketed differently in North america, not sur why. as long as the code is correct, i shouldnd be worried.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is safe and the same as ending with "A", ending with 2 is the latest concentration amount (which is lighter and recommended by volvo power steering fluid specially in colder climates), i had the same question before and a friend master volvo mechanic says the same. hope this helps. did mine last Feb using the Ford one's, seems the label (pix) is marketed differently in North america, not sur why. as long as the code is correct, i shouldnd be worried.
Thanks!

Being thinner and useful for colder climates is a good thing as winters in Denmark can get very cold and snowy/icy. I am just wondering if thinner is okay for a power steering system which is closing in on 8 years of age? You know just like what some say about engine oil and sometimes using thicker viscosity oil for worn/old engines - could the same apply to power steering?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: So I changed the power steering fluid today by applying the crude "suck out old fluid - refill with new fluid - turn engine on and turn wheels from side to side" method.

The fluid hasn't been changed since the car was born about 7.5 years ago. Now, it has only done about 72K miles total but I had expected the fluid to look fairly dark and worn. But to my surprise the fluid was more or less as clear and green as the new fluid. Is this your experience as well? Perhaps the original fluid is just some super quality synthetic oil which keeps well?

I am surprised as I have seen videos floating around the web where old power steering fluid looks very dark. Not the case all here.

·
Registered
290 Posts
correct, my car is 6 years old (2006) and the fluid was still green. compared to the new powersteering is also green. mine was a bit slight darker but you cannot really tell from looking at them. place them against the sun with a see through container, then you would see the difference, in my eyes, they look the same, but my mechanic says there is little difference. remember, its the viscosity, not the color he also added.

hope this helps

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
correct, my car is 6 years old (2006) and the fluid was still green. compared to the new powersteering is also green. mine was a bit slight darker but you cannot really tell from looking at them. place them against the sun with a see through container, then you would see the difference, in my eyes, they look the same, but my mechanic says there is little difference. remember, its the viscosity, not the color he also added.

hope this helps
Thanks. I actually did put it in a transparent container and compared old vs new and although there was a difference it was negligible. Had expected it to be much darker and gritty. But I guess it is a good thing that the old fluid is not too contaminated.

When changing the coolant however, it was quite dark and dirty. Big difference compared to the new coolant.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts