7,638 Posts

·
Registered
17,007 Posts
98 and older all cars use ATF fluid for PS fluid

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
....and more specifically dexron/mercon ATF (not TYPE F). Pretty much you can't find the type II or III anymore. Castrol Dex/Merc works just fine and isn't that expensive. Use a turkey baster and suck as much out as you can and replace with the same amount...after a good drive, do it again (as many times as you want until you're satisfied). I also dangle a magnet off of the spring cap into my fluid to catch any loose debris. I clean it every oil change and once every other oil change, do one "turkey baster flush" as a preventative measure.

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
Because it's different and doesn't do the right things. You're probably gonna have to talk to an oil chemist to get more detail than that. Here's what Valvoline.com had to say:

Quote, originally posted by Valvoline.com »
What is the difference between DexronIII/Mercon and type "F" transmission fluid?

The Valvoline Type F transmission fluid is a high quality NON-friction modified fluid. Dexron III/Mercon includes friction modifiers in the fluid additive package.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Re: (LloydDobler)

hmm...interesting. it just says "atf" in the owners manual for power steering fluid, but specifies dexron/mercon iii for the tranny fluid. i'm not totally convinced that it matters for the power steering (at least for the 98 and older crowd).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.