SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of no where today my power steering started leaking. Both boots on the rack are dry, the pump is dry and so is the reservoir. The leak is dripping from the center of the rack it seems like and is coming off the sub frame as the rack lays on top of it.

Anyone experience anything similar? could it be a hose or something. I really hope i dont have to replace the rack.

Any way that i can diagnose ??

Thanks
Col

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Top it up and see where the leaks are.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Could be part of the rubber line that runs on the rack. Like Hounddogger said, top off with some cheap O fluid and see where it is leaking. Then replace with OE or Pentosin

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That would be a miracle if it's the rubber line ... I have some extra fluid to do the test ...it happened at highway speeds so it is a total mess under there

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
You've got good advice here. Also, although it doesn't seem to be your problem (yet?), you have an 04, which has the early design reservoir. This reservoir has a tendency to swell and leak, as well as not adequately provide fluid during turns at speed due to sloshing. My 04 wasn't obviously leaking from looking at the reservoir, but when you looked down at the timing belt cover you could see the fluid was splashing around down there and leaking all over the place underneath. Just another place to check while you're crawling around it.

To upgrade to 2005+ reservoir and hose:
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?38680

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Check where the lines run into the rack under the steering column/ steering gear. There are 2 lines with 2 o rings that can leak. Also make sure there aren't any breaks in the lines running down the rack from the passenger side of the subframe over to where they enter the rack.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You've got good advice here. Also, although it doesn't seem to be your problem (yet?), you have an 04, which has the early design reservoir. This reservoir has a tendency to swell and leak, as well as not adequately provide fluid during turns at speed due to sloshing. My 04 wasn't obviously leaking from looking at the reservoir, but when you looked down at the timing belt cover you could see the fluid was splashing around down there and leaking all over the place underneath. Just another place to check while you're crawling around it.

To upgrade to 2005+ reservoir and hose:
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?38680
I thought about that but after talking with Volvo I decided not too. Volvo North America sent me a updated 04 reservoir
Volvo updated the 04 style reservoir with a snorkel inside it to feed the suction hose ...I replaced both along with a new pump 2 years ago

So I can rule that out

Also are those o rings on the feed lines replace able ?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Yes but it's kind of a pita. And they are not super common to leak but it is possible.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just had my leaking power steering o-ring replaced two days ago. So its definitely possible for them to leak. The dealer here in Georgia said its pretty rare as well. They charged about $150 (I think) for the replacement.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Was the upper and lower o ring ...back on the road

1 - 10 of 10 Posts