SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've got 2 quick questions.

1. Does the USB Port under Armrest also Charge the Device / Smartphone etc?

2. Does the convenience package Only add the one power outlet in the Cargo area? Is there another one for the 3rd row?

12V Power Outlet, Cargo Area
Neatly integrated in all seat rows, the extra power outlets can provide electricity for an electric cooler box, phone charger, game console or other portable electronic devices. For safety reasons, the power outlet is hidden behind a pull-down cover.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I know the answer to #1. It definitely charges my iPhone, and fairly quickly. I bought an adapter for the 12-volt outlet in the the center console, but the USB port charges my phone and lets me connect directly to the audio functions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
I've got a First Edition, so it's basically loaded so I can speak to what it has, not what other packages like the convenience package has.

I have one 12vdc in the front and the one USB in the front for charging and data communication.
I have a 120v outlet for the 2nd row and 1 12vdc outlet for the second row.
Third row has nothing that I remember seeing.
And the cargo area has a 12vdc outlet, right side near the back.

I purchased this so 2nd row passengers can charge two USB devices if they so choose. It fits in the 12vdc back there and seats pretty flush so it doesn't impact someone's feet if you have a 5th person sitting in the middle. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M6QODH2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

You could use one of them in the front 12vdc as well to have 2 more USB ports up there that of course would only be good for charging.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've got a First Edition, so it's basically loaded so I can speak to what it has, not what other packages like the convenience package has.

I have one 12vdc in the front and the one USB in the front for charging and data communication.
I have a 120v outlet for the 2nd row and 1 12vdc outlet for the second row.
Third row has nothing that I remember seeing.
And the cargo area has a 12vdc outlet, right side near the back.

I purchased this so 2nd row passengers can charge two USB devices if they so choose. It fits in the 12vdc back there and seats pretty flush so it doesn't impact someone's feet if you have a 5th person sitting in the middle. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M6QODH2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

You could use one of them in the front 12vdc as well to have 2 more USB ports up there that of course would only be good for charging.
Mine is a fully loaded inscription. I only see a 12v in the second row right below the rear AC control. Is there another connection for the second row besides that one?

·
Registered
372 Posts
You will get a total of 3 power outlets and sadly only 1 USB port. The 3rd one is added in the cargo area only if you choose Conv. pkg. as you stated. So 1 power outlet is in the front console area along with the USB port. 2nd power outlet is in 2nd row underneath the climate controls for the 2nd row. 3rd outlet is in the cargo area. NOTE: In the U.S. we do not get the 120V outlet unless you get the First Edition model. I actually have some ANKER devices I bought on the cheap from Amazon that has 24V capability and supplies 2.1 AMP per USB port. I plan on putting one in front and rear which will provide 4 additional charging ports for all of our devices...especially tablets that need the higher amps.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Mine is a fully loaded inscription. I only see a 12v in the second row right below the rear AC control. Is there another connection for the second row besides that one?
See if you have the 120v a/c outlet if you lift/roll up the 'door' above the 12vdc outlet but below the a/c controls in the second row. That's where mine is.

If you mean a second 12vdc for the second row, no, that's it for 12vdc back there.

EDIT: just saw this from iron_man:

NOTE: In the U.S. we do not get the 120V outlet unless you get the First Edition model.

I had no idea only First Editions got that in the U.S...

·
Registered
25 Posts
How do I know if I have a first edition? There is only a 12v hole that has like a fake plastic lighter stuck in it

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
How do I know if I have a first edition? There is only a 12v hole that has like a fake plastic lighter stuck in it

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Does the emblem on the back of the car to the right of T6 say First Edition in it? Is it black with Amber seats? Is the stitching on your dash and door uppers white? Do your door sills in the front says First Edition and have a specific number out of 1927? Does your key fob say First Edition? I think if you have one you'd know.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You will get a total of 3 power outlets and sadly only 1 USB port. The 3rd one is added in the cargo area only if you choose Conv. pkg. as you stated. So 1 power outlet is in the front console area along with the USB port. 2nd power outlet is in 2nd row underneath the climate controls for the 2nd row. 3rd outlet is in the cargo area. NOTE: In the U.S. we do not get the 120V outlet unless you get the First Edition model. I actually have some ANKER devices I bought on the cheap from Amazon that has 24V capability and supplies 2.1 AMP per USB port. I plan on putting one in front and rear which will provide 4 additional charging ports for all of our devices...especially tablets that need the higher amps.
Thanks everyone, appreciate the prompt responses.

iron_man - that is something I was wondering too. They each say 12V. what does do from a charging perspective if you have 2 devices plugged in via USB through the 12V chargers?

I see Paradox shared the AuKey USB chargers but that is a FE as well vs 12V. how does ANKER differ from these? Are they pretty much the same?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Here are the Anker devices I have bought. I use this brand quite a bit and has never failed. It has intelligent charging so it adjusts the charging level based on the device to fast charge it. I have never used Aukey but I believe it is also a good brand.

This is the 24W/4.8A - this is good for tablets. Since my kids use their tablets for on the go entertainment, this keeps them charged fully and quickly. This model is small version but tiny bit larger than their 12W/2.4A version. I use this version because it is good for all devices and charges our devices fairly quickly and it has 4.8A (2.4A per USB port). (If your device supports what is called Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0, then they make what is called Anker Powerdrive).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VH84L5E?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

This is the 12W/2.4A version - this is good for smartphones.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VH8VHWO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
I absolutely love my akner 5 port usb charger, heck, I bought 4 for everyone in the house, but they are 120v input. We use those for traveling in hotel rooms and such, plus in the home.

In my case, I went with a different brand for the 12vdc charging in the car and went with the one I mentioned above, because of its ultra small form factor and how it sits as flush or less flush possibly than the 'blank' insert that is in there already. I've been using it aprox. 3 1/2 months now with no issues for whats it is worth. not saying there is a damned thing wrong with the ones you listed ironman, just mentioning why I went with the other one because of its ultra small form profile.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The small form factor is why I also use Anker. Once plugged in, they're recessed in quite a bit. I know I needed this for the front console of the XC90 so I got this ahead of time before we get the car. But it looks like the Aukey form factor is even smaller so I would go with that one for the front 12V port.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Both of the ones you linked to can fit in the front one with the sliding cover closed, or just the white one? If so, that's great as I do like anker products.

The one I linked to isn't anker as we know, but it is REALLY short, it barely sticks out above once plugged in.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I just picked up two of the Aukey ones from Amazon. I really like the low-profile form factor. I will be using one in the front seat, and one in the second row. The instruction manual states that they should be removed from the outlet when they are not in use, and they should also be removed before starting the vehicle. Do you guys actually do this? What is the downside to keeping them plugged in all the time? Do they draw power even when not in use?

·
Registered
541 Posts
I just picked up two of the Aukey ones from Amazon. I really like the low-profile form factor. I will be using one in the front seat, and one in the second row. The instruction manual states that they should be removed from the outlet when they are not in use, and they should also be removed before starting the vehicle. Do you guys actually do this? What is the downside to keeping them plugged in all the time? Do they draw power even when not in use?
I don't remove them at all. SO far so good....

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Yeah, I've never removed mine at all. And even after the 17 days I was on vacation in August car still started fine when I came back in September, not even a low battery message.

·
Registered
785 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Convenience costs money...
Sure, some conveniences cost more than others. For me a $12 charger from amazon does the same for me those tablet holders would do as I wouldn't want the tablet holder portion. I'm not saying anything against the parts you linked to, it's just quite a bit of dough for 4 usb charging ports as you described. No harm, no foul.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts