SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states. 2004 C70. The power antenna has been intermittent for about 6 months, but has recently stopped working completely. In the past lubricating the mast took care of the problem, but not this time. Fortunately, it stopped in the "UP" position so I can still pick up radio stations.

I have not taken the trunk apart yet, but I assume I can replace the antenna unit without having to run new wires to the front of the car. (I hope...)

Any words of advice from those who have gone this way before me?

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
The antenna mast itself can be order and replaced without the need to remove the motor. Pull out the antenna mast, and push the new one in. Turn the radio off and the motor will pull the new antenna into place. Pretty simple repair.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately, the antenna motor is not running. I've got some diagnostics to do before I can determine if it is just a mast or if the entire assembly needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
133 Posts
If your mast sticks when you try to remove it snap some vice-grips on the mast below the tip of the antenna and then {after the lower nut is removed } hit up on the vice-grips with a hammer and the mast will pop out.
I just replaced my mast {the motor was working} when I went to put the new mast in the white zip cable kept getting hung up and wont go all the way in, I removed the antenna assembly and removed the cap that covers the zip strip wheel that pulls it in. After awhile the zip strip finally came down all the way to the wheel. I made sure the zip strip was in place and then turned the radio off [after I reinstalled the cover]. The motor pulled in the zip strip but the antenna didn't go all the way down so I reinstalled the nut that retains the mast and turned the radio on so the antenna would go up. I made sure the antenna was pointing out of the trunk before I turned the radio on. The mast went all the way up and then I turned the radio off and the mast pulled in all the way. Then I removed the mast retaining nut and reinstalled the antenna assembly. the whole process lasted longer then I planned but it worked. Just figured I would share my experience with antenna install.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My antenna goes all the way down but only part way up. One whole section doesn't come out. Is this only the mast that needs replacing? 1998 C70 Coupe.

Rich

·
Registered
133 Posts
In most cases when the antenna stays up and won't go down its because the white plastic zip strip connected to the antenna brakes and prevents the motor from pulling the antenna back in. When I was a Volvo tech we would lube the antenna mast when preforming major services like 30K, 60K & 90K and some techs would lube it during an oil change. Your mast might need lubed but I would bet that its bent slightly, you can lube the mast with WD40 or most any spray lube. I would hold a shop towel on one side of the antenna and then spray lube down the mast, and use the towel to ketch the over spray. If you don't have any spray lube I suppose you could wet a shop towel with clean motor oil and wipe that on the mast. The mast might just need cleaned & lubed.
I read some wear that some Volvo's have a 5 section mast and others have a 3 section mast, so check that before you order one, a cheap one is about $20 on ebay.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I just ordered a replacement mast from FCp. It was Uro and the part number coincided but the mast wouldnt fit down into the antenna receptacle. I filed the end down to fit but then the sliding stip wouldnt fit in either. Are these the same antennas that came on the S70 and V70's (98-00)?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Once again, C70 part is different. V/S has a big square fitting with a bolt C has small a round fitting, vert is five piece coupe is three. I think the internal mechanism is different too! C70 ownership, it's an exclusive club!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ducatipaso

Thanks for the info. I have always lubed the mast and so did the dealer when I first had the car. Bought it new in December of 97. The middle section is frozen solid. It is a three section mast. I think I'll remove it now that I know how and see what's up.

BTW, does your handle imply you are a Ducati fan?

Rich

·
Registered
480 Posts
Bump. I just discovered the hard way that antenna masts advertised to fit both coupe and convertible are wrong. My coupe of course has the three sections and the replacement had 5. Plus the base was too big and would not go into the power head.

Soooo. anyone know where to get the correct new mast for the coupe? Needs to have a black top too.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
I saved the complete antenna from my 04, I use an MP3 player so I kind of won't ever need it, not sure why I even saved it in the first place. It basically is a perfect unit that was not used past 39k miles on the car. I'll sell it if you're interested. It's around $200 new, what would you say to $80 shipped?

Also that user "tom" had a 40k mile 04 that he was parting out a few months ago, might see if he has one.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Thanks but its the coupe that I need. And a new mast is what I seek (fresh plastic flex rack). My power unit works fine, I just want to replace the mast before my plastic piece breaks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I have a question does the mast go flush with the body? I changed my mast with one from iPD and when it goes up it seems like the motor keeps running. and it doesn't go flush. Now it wont go down without help. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a question. I have a 1998 C70 and think the mast looks a bit... dated. I want to install a little glass mounted antenna on the inside rear glass. Then just unplug the mast motor and leave it down. Has anyone else done something like this?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Mine started doing this a few weeks ago too. I sprayed some lube on it and it wouldn't go down all the way still. I could hear the motor trying but it gets stuck about 1/3 of the way down. All of a sudden it started to go down all the way again but right now it's staying up again lol Kinda annoying but it's whatever. I'll just buy a new one online.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I fix mine using spare parts from an S70... S70 are not the same! The size of the tube (that you see outside of the fender) and the bracket are different, but you can switch parts from the motor (ex:gears, motor itself, etc...)

Here's some pictures that I post on a french canadian forum... Sorry, texts and indications on those pictures are in french... But a picture worth a thousand words we used to say...

Here's some info to acces that antenna...

First, remove the ligth and pop out those two caps...

Then twist those fasteners with a flat blade screwdriver...

Remove the panel and you will have access to the base of the antenna and the connections...

With a 14 mm wrench, unscrew the exterior nut... (on the S70, you will need a 17 mm if Iremember correctly...)

You will have a connection for the motor (green arrow) and some of those antenna has a ground connection (yellow arrow)...

On this one, the green arrows show you the two 10 mm nuts... One is difficult to see and this picture informs that C70 2004 are ready and pre-wired to receive the CD changer...

Also, I almost forgot to mention that there is a drain tube that will go through the floor of the trunk/fender...

You can purchase a new antena mast at your dealer... (...or where you want) Should look like this...

Voilà...

On this last one, you will see differences between S70 and C70 antennas... Exterior tube and brackets...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts