SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum.
Sorry if it has been already discussed.

We have ordered xc90 t6 inscription and now is: "DELIVERED FROM BALTIMORE, MD.".

I know there is no power adjustable steering wheel. To me it is not a big deal. But my wife is spoiled by Power Adjustable Steering Wheel with Memory Position on X5.
Any particular reason no this option from Volvo?

·
Registered
174 Posts
New to the forum.
Sorry if it has been already discussed.

We have ordered xc90 t6 inscription and now is: "DELIVERED FROM BALTIMORE, MD

I know there is no power adjustable steering wheel. To me it is not a big deal. But my wife is spoiled by Power Adjustable Steering Wheel with Memory Position on X5.
Any particular reason no this option from Volvo?
It's absence is rather inexplicable,but I suppose it gives them to say is "new" in the 2017 model:)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Probably just a way to keep costs down. I know for me, I don't share the car with anyone so it's a non issue. Volvo probably figured that it wouldn't be a deal breaker for anyone. I'm sure that small cost savings like that are how Volvo undercuts he pricing of similarly equipped German SUVs

·
Registered
380 Posts
Probably just a way to keep costs down. I know for me, I don't share the car with anyone so it's a non issue. Volvo probably figured that it wouldn't be a deal breaker for anyone. I'm sure that small cost savings like that are how Volvo undercuts he pricing of similarly equipped German SUVs
It is 100% NOT related to cost, it's related to safety.

The manual collapsible column breaks down approximately 2x as quickly in the event of a severe collision compared to any manufacturer's electric one. Until they find a way to overcome that, they'll be manual

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
It is 100% NOT related to cost, it's related to safety.

The manual collapsible column breaks down approximately 2x as quickly in the event of a severe collision compared to any manufacturer's electric one. Until they find a way to overcome that, they'll be manual
An interesting argument. But I would be very surprised indeed if Mercedes, for example, fit a steering column less safe than Volvo's.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I'm not expert so just passing this on, but this exact topic was previously discussed months and and someone made the same statement then about the safety issue which was then hotly contested by other posters in detail. Again, I have no idea personally, just saying it was not a universally accepted answer at the time.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
From what I've been told this is a classic swedespeed episode. Will the people claiming its omitted for safety right now stand by that when its included on all future versions of the car?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts