SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pothole won!
As I was exiting the freeway at the end of the curve there were two potholes, I was able to drive around one, but the second one was a hit dead on my front right wheel. I noticed a very slight vibration on the steering wheel right after. I took it today to have it checked and the wheel is bent. It is been repaired and it will be ready on Thursday. Hopefully I do not have to replace it. I installed 18" wheels so I have a little more cushion for this situations, but it bent the wheel anyways. In my last car ('09 MB C350) I had 19" and hit potholes a couple of times and the wheels were ok, but not so much the tires, I had to replaced two tires once. I thought that heico wheels will be stronger.
Also, they have to give me a loaner wheel and that make me start thinking about buying the spare tire. For those of you that have bought the spare tire, do you find it that it takes a lot of space from the trunk?
No pictures because there was no visible damage.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
It does but my trunk is empty 98% of the time anyway. It's larger than I expected. What I don't like is the thump it creates when driving over bumps, and that's with the tie downs pretty tight. Volvo, and all car manufacturers, should seriously rethink the spare tire issue. It wouldn't bother me so much if the spare was deleted in favor of a repair kit or to save weight but at least leave the room for the spare so that I can stow it securely and out of the way if I want one! A collapsible spare would have been a better solution than the tempa spare offered. We already have the air pump.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Not surprising - I've known several people to bend Heicos over the years and based on your report they haven't improved much in that regard. One friend bent all 4 (at once) on a bridge expansion and had to replace them the next day. Hope you're able to get it repaired and back on soon!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the wheel fixed. I took the wheel yesterday afternoon and I got it back today in the afternoon. The guys from Globe tires are great. It feels like new again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts