SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
typos0 T5 developed a knock after the vacuum line to the wastegate came off and it boosted to 30-35psi for a second or two. It was shut off almost immediately, and sat for 2 months while my mechanic tried to find a replacement T5. After not having much luck sourcing a replacement, we decided to take a look inside.

I stopped by today to help him push the car in to the garage and get started on the teardown. He pulled the cams out and oil pan, and we couldn't see any issues. All of the lifters and valve springs seem fine with a quick visual, and same goes for the bottom end. We removed the rod caps and main caps one by one and the bearings look fine (well, normal for 300,000km of wear), but couldn't see any obvious damage or metal in the pan.

I am fine with day to day maintenance, and would even go as far as swapping a motor out, but I am pretty clueless once I get inside of the motor. I understand how it all works, but my experience in there is very limited. Could someone offer some pointers for what else I should be looking in to under there?

This was shot right after we parked the car at the shop:

These were taken today:

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
You'll probably need to pull the rods out to visually inspect them.

It'll be fairly apparent if a rod is bent.

Also, look for damage to the crank like this

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
One of the inspections we used to diagnose my 99t5m was using a bore scope to look in each cylinder via the spark plug holes. This helped us determine the pistons weren't damaged as we previously found the exhaust cam timing was out. Then a pressure test in each cylinder while rotating the engine showed we had a leak (bad valve) in one cylinder. We removed the head and found a burnt valve and a broken head bolt in the block next to the bad cylinder (the timing off caused one cylinder to overheat, the valve to burn and the head to expand and snap the bolt). The removal of the broken bolt was aided by an alignment sleeve we fabricated to assist in drilling the center of the broken bolt down in the head (sounds worse than it was, it actually came right out). After replacing the valve, getting the head reworked at a local machine shop, new gaskets, bolts, seals, timing belt, water pump, hoses, seals, etc, etc, the motor runs like new! I would say that had I not had a fairly low mile motor, coupled with a very knowledgeable (ASE certified master mechanic) friend, I would have opted for swapping in a new motor. Good luck with your repair!
Dan

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Here's some pics of the bolt removal...

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
By the way, the Snabb short shifter kit is working great!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help guys! There is a slight noise that can be heard on the no. 4 & 5 pistons as the rods change direction, so we are thinking the sound us coming from the wrist pins, which would point towards bent rods. It'll likely be cheaper to replace the motor with a 200,000km unit from a wrecker than putting rods in. The biggest problem is finding a 2.3l T5 that isn't already tired and ready to blow. There are plenty of 2.4l LPT motors around though. I doubt in would last with the current setup with a 18t running 18psi though.

By the way, the Snabb short shifter kit is working great!
Glad to hear it!

·
Registered
216 Posts
agreed. Something bad happened to my T5 at 165k- classic symptoms of a blown HG but a new HG and machined head didn't solve it. At that point we assumed a cracked cylinder wall; in any case I had just evaporated $500 on a useless HG job. We put in a 2.4lLPT with 91k on it, bolted up the 16T and the injectors from the 2.3, and plugged it into the R ECU with good results. Most folks say the 2.4 won't handle anything bigger than the 16T reliably. Fine with me though, because the combination of the 2.4 and the 16T is pretty sweet.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bad news....or good, if you like closure. We decided today to part the car out and walk away. We can't find a motor locally for under $1,500, or a donor car for that matter. The chassis is getting soft, and can't see it holding up to a few more years for Rally Cross and eventually getting in to Rally Sprint. Instead, a fair chunk of the parts are going to a local 855 T5M, C70 T5M and a 855R. At least the parts are going to a good homes. From the looks of it, we are moving in to a 744 turbo and not getting back in to the FWD game for a while. I'll be posting up a FS thread once we get a chance to inventory what's left. FYI, the list will include a M56H manual swap.

RIP Rally Meatball

1 - 8 of 8 Posts