SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys;<p>Family has had many Volvos over the years, 244s, 745ti, and parents currently have a 2005 XC90 V8 that my wife and I are absolutely in love with, but they will not sell it;) <p>We are considering replacing our Toyota Sequoia with an XC90. Have driven my parents V8 and it is powerful and great to drive. <p>Drove a used (pretty beat up) 2004 T6 with 72,000 miles on it (more for comparison purposes than anything else) at the local dealer yesterday and were struck by a couple things. <br>1) power is not as bad down low RPM with the T6 as I thought it would be<br>2) power comes in SURGES though, and not every accelleration run "felt" like it was pulling the same<br>3) strange turbo "chirp" or BOV noise when getting off the gas sometimes.......wondering if the turbo on that car wasnt on its way out??<br>4) clunking from the front going over bumps<p>We can afford to spend about $36,000 on a brand new vehicle (which would get us a European delivery XC90 AWD with the new I6 for 2007, Premium Package right now is only $595)...........or very lightly used car (2005 XC90 V8 with low miles??)<p>If I buy something really used (3-4 yrs old) I would prefer to keep cost around $30k......(2.5T or T6)....<p>I dont need a nightmare of a used cars. Is there somewhere I can read about the trouble spots of each model?<p>Something to consider: I plan to tow a 4000+ lb trailer with this vehicle about 10 times a year, a few hundred miles per trip.....wasnt sure if towing a big load was good on the turbos or not. <p>Our other vehicle option is a VW Touareg V8, which is smaller inside, no 3rd row seat.,.,.<p>Thoughts??<p>Ben<br><BR><BR>
<i>Modified by Jettix2 at 8:33 PM 5-27-2006</i>

·
Registered
329 Posts
I would negotiate a deal on a nice used Turbo 5 and immediately chip it. Take the money you saved over a newer I6 or V8 and put it in an interest earning account for possible non-warranty repairs on possible failure of major items (Tranny or engine - you will likely not need need the money though for such). Flush the Automatic every year or two years with proper spec fluid. Chipped Turbo should be more powerful then a new inline-6. Turbo should be fine for towing. I currently drive a Volvo with 284,000 miles - older model though - it gets me everywhere i need to go in comfort and has been very, very reliable.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Re: Potential XC90 Buyer - Which Model to Get? Used T6, V8, or new I6?? (Jettix2)

Jettix2 said:
<p>Drove a used (pretty beat up) 2004 T6 with 72,000 miles on it (more for comparison purposes than anything else) at the local dealer yesterday and were struck by a couple things. <br>1) power is not as bad down low RPM with the T6 as I thought it would be<br>2) power comes in SURGES though, and not every accelleration run "felt" like it was pulling the same<br>3) strange turbo "chirp" or BOV noise when getting off the gas sometimes.......wondering if the turbo on that car wasnt on its way out??<br>4) clunking from the front going over bumps[/quote<p>I would stay away from that car.<p><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">We can afford to spend about $36,000 on a brand new vehicle (which would get us a European delivery XC90 AWD with the new I6 for 2007, Premium Package right now is only $595)</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Only if you order within the next 7 days to ensure delivery (there) by no kater than July 31.<p><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...........or very lightly used car (2005 XC90 V8 with low miles??)</TD></TR></TABLE><p>That is the car I would probably lean toward, given what I have read in a previous post of yours.<p><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Something to consider: I plan to tow a 4000+ lb trailer with this vehicle about 10 times a year, a few hundred miles per trip.....wasnt sure if towing a big load was good on the turbos or not. <p>Our other vehicle option is a VW Touareg V8, which is smaller inside, no 3rd row seat.,.,.<p>Thoughts??<p>Ben<p></TD></TR></TABLE><p>Ben, look around for a slightly used XC90 V8. Depending on the equipment, you might end up spending a little more than $36K but you should not have to go past the $40K mark. <p>Given your tow requirements, I would stay away from the XC90 T6 (unless you do not care about filling up often) or the XC90 2.5T (super car, extrermely reliable but it MAY struggle a bit with all this weight) or the Touareg V8 (any Touareg, for that matter...a NIGHTMARE vehicle). There are some pretty good quality V8 SUVs out there but I would highily recommend the XC90 V8.<p>Yannis

·
Registered
2005 XC90 V8, IPD sways and endlinks, currently shod with Pirelli Scorpion Verde
540 Posts
Re: Potential XC90 Buyer - Which Model to Get? Used T6, V8, or new I6?? (Jettix2)

I agree with Yannis' opinion. It sounds like you like the V8. Why not get a nice used one ? We love ours and were happy we bought it instead of the T5. The na engine gives much smoother power delivery.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Re: Potential XC90 Buyer - Which Model to Get? Used T6, V8, or new I6?? (safetyfirst)

Dealer near me had some new 2005 XC90 V8s at large discounts last time I was by there. Still around $40,000, though, because they had Touring Package, etc. But if a new vehicle is this price, a used one shouldn't be much above $36,000. I personally prefer the V8.

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Re: Potential XC90 Buyer - Which Model to Get? Used T6, V8, or new I6?? (mkaresh)

I just bought a T6 because it was Certified and because it was a great deal and the color combo I wanted, but for your needs I'd go with the V8. Chipping a 2.5T is nice power and the price is right, plus a good tranny, but if you're towing I'd be wary of chipping.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts