SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading a lot of the message boards to get a sense of an XC60 ownership. I love the R-Design and frankly it's the only CUV I want; considering I never thought I'd have anything but a car.

In any case, I am little concerned because I am reading a lot about parts rattling. Most of these issues seem to be on vehicles with not many miles on them or are still young (3 years or less). I have a 2000 Mazda Protege (hit once while parked) and 2006 Acura TSX (which has been hit twice by two SUVs and repaired by an awesome body shop), neither of which have any rattles. I am already a believer in Japanese durability and reliability so I won't delve into that point. It's hard to break those expectations though.

Perhaps some of you could shed some light on these rattles and/or your experiences going from a Japanese brand to a Volvo. either way, assuming I can afford it I still want the XC60, but if I keep it long term I'm concerned what the durability would be like after 5+ years.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My rattle seems to have been fixed with what apparently was a missing clip. My old RAV 4 (Toyota) rattled like crazy after the first 3 years and I could never find it. Drove me NUTs. As new car owners, we want our cars to come to us perfect. As someone who has owned mine for 6 months, I will tell you that I love it despite some continued tweaking. We still own the RAV4 and when I drive it I realize even more how much I love my Volvo (and I did love the RAV4). It is not perfect yet, but honestly, I have 3 friends who all bought new cars around the time I did, and we are all dealing with some sort of issues. Japanese, and European.

·
Registered
19 Posts
my 2013 has no rattles and I just crossed 2,000 miles. The only "noise" I hear is wind from outside, and thats when I'm going over 100mph on the autobahn. Even then it really isn't terribly noticeable. If you're this sold on the xc60, i would go ahead an order it. This is the most wonderful vehicle I've ever driven (or owned for that matter).

·
Registered
62 Posts
I understand your concern. I hate squeaks and rattles. My last car was a VW CC VR6 that squeaked very badly and spent numerous days in the dealer to attempt to fix them. I think removing the interior components like the headliner only made it worse. I ended up getting rid of the car because of the noises.
My XC60 R is quiet so far at 3000 miles.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Only rattle I have on my 2011 is the passenger seat belt when it isn't being used.
If you pull the belt so it retracts all the way and then face the buckle away from the pillar it will not rattle.
Blame the passenger exiting for not leaving it like this! :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 2012 with about 4000 miles and not a single rattle or squeak so far. I am loving my XC60, which is also my first Volvo ever (coming from a long history of Toyotas and Nissans).

·
Registered
365 Posts
All cars rattle - some just rattle more than others. The $96k Mercedes e63 that I just traded was no exception. Thus far, after 398 miles, the XC60 is rattle free. [Fingers crossed].

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Our '10 was 3.3 years old and >56K miles with no rattles that weren't 'operator/navigator error'. :) I will say the wind noise from the front windows was much greater than we hear in our new RDX, especially in a crosswind. The XC had a squeak when cleaning/treating the dash area, but it never made a sound during driving.

·
Registered
837 Posts
We had a sunroof rattle and I admit I had little faith the dealer would be able to fix it, but sure enough, we took it in an it hasn't rattled since (that was a few thousand miles ago). I think I occasionally hear a rattle from the hatch area over bigger bumps but no biggie there (and I HATE rattles). I do hear what can be best described as plastic crack/pop from the center dash/console area when I brake and take off. Basically, when the chassis flexes the plastic pops...that's annoying. We haven't taken it in yet for that though and I'm a little leery of them tearing into it and potentially making it worse. I will say that it isn't horrible by any means (the sunroof rattle was bad, but like I said they fixed it). I think we are approaching 9500 miles or so now.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Only rattle I have on my 2011 is the passenger seat belt when it isn't being used.
Fasten it anyway. That's what I do to stop the noise.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I think I have the same rattle in my XC60. I feel that it comes from the part near the seat. Is it a known problem?

I also have the rattle under the hood (I think) when driving on the freeway. It is intermittent. Any one has this rattle as well? :(

·
Registered
365 Posts
Fasten it anyway. That's what I do to stop the noise.
Double ditto. I heard the same subtle rattle a couple days after posting here. Clicking the belt cures the noise. :p

·
Registered
695 Posts
Passenger seatbelt also rattles here if passenger doesn't let it fully retract. Used to drive Lexus but fell in love with Volvo. Don't know why. Maybe because I watched my wife get broadsided at 35 mph driving an ES300. I was behind her in a GS. Wish she had been in a Volvo.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
I hope your wife survived the accident ok...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Passenger seatbelt also rattles here if passenger doesn't let it fully retract. Used to drive Lexus but fell in love with Volvo. Don't know why. Maybe because I watched my wife get broadsided at 35 mph driving an ES300. I was behind her in a GS. Wish she had been in a Volvo.
It seems that the passenger seat belt rattle is a common issue in MY12 XC60... Hmmm....

I hope Volvo knows about it and get us a real fix for it...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks tangierc! I am also a "potential" Volvo XC60 buyer. I too have the initial inhibition about this new venture and I stumbled on your post. I just now decided against the X3 since it comes with "run-flat" and no spare tire and raised red flags all around me. I am now thinking of going down the Volvo route and your post and the various replies here are very helpful. Please do post your experience with the XC60 which I think is an awesome vehicle! I will post my experience once I purchase this vehicle.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I hope your wife survived the accident ok...
Yes, thankfully she did. However, this was the start of 9 months disability, 2 years of recovery, countless dr visits, pain pills, and then the process to not require pain pills. My wife is amazing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts