SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what is ride quality like with your xc90s? Would you describe it as superb good average or poor?
The reason i am asking this question is because i feel like ride quality of mine is somehow affected by something under the car but cant figure out what, nothing seems to be broke or loose, nothing makes any kind of sound but when driving on slightly uneven tarmac i can feel the car just doesnt deal with bumps like it should have been.
Are there some common problems well known to affect ride quality? I dont want to start changing everythig if not necessary.
Also the cabin sounds are teribble, squeaking dashboard and door panel so somethi g must be wrong. Please share ideas or experiences. Btw the car has 250000km and have no idea what was changed and what was not from the previous owners.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I rate mine a 7 out of 10. New tires yesterday improved my ride quality. Also replaced front end links last month. Big change. Needs rear end links also. I took all my door panels off and worked on them and did the lock improvements.

Little rattles are standard. I am at 120k. Model year 2005 2.5t.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Shocks will improve your ride quality over bumps. That's about it. If nothing is broke or loose that is. Also, maybe a strut brace, or 2 (top and bottom) to stiffen the chassis. Sometimes struts will be worm out but not show the obvious symptoms like knocking or leaking.

If I had to give mine a 1 out of 10, compared to others it's size and weight, I'd have to say 7 or 8 as well.

It handles very well, forgiving, takes turns well for its travel, and even at 150k miles it feels very solid. My dash does squeak. I've got new arms, links, front struts, polyurethane mounts, ball joints, bearings etc... So that's probably why my experience is positive.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I rate mine a 7 out of 10. New tires yesterday improved my ride quality. Also replaced front end links last month. Big change. Needs rear end links also. I took all my door panels off and worked on them and did the lock improvements.

Little rattles are standard. I am at 120k. Model year 2005 2.5t.

What do you mean you took the door panels off and worked on them? Did the panels rattle? How did you fix that?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shocks will improve your ride quality over bumps. That's about it. If nothing is broke or loose that is. Also, maybe a strut brace, or 2 (top and bottom) to stiffen the chassis. Sometimes struts will be worm out but not show the obvious symptoms like knocking or leaking.

If I had to give mine a 1 out of 10, compared to others it's size and weight, I'd have to say 7 or 8 as well.

It handles very well, forgiving, takes turns well for its travel, and even at 150k miles it feels very solid. My dash does squeak. I've got new arms, links, front struts, polyurethane mounts, ball joints, bearings etc... So that's probably why my experience is positive.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk
Ok so you just confirmed what I was thinking, since previous owner didn't take good care of the car I think this parts are due for replacement. What do you think about getting this kit http://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLVO-XC90-...ash=item1c428d57d0:g:EdsAAOSwirZTstor&vxp=mtr ?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I went with the meyle HD parts. Look up aftermarket suspension parts there are countless threads with the brands to stay away from. If the seller doesn't obviously list the brand, I don't buy it.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Many horror stories about aftermarket control arms. if you are doing the wrenching go to Tasca Volvo or one of the other dealers that sell blue box parts on line.

Control arms, ball joints (might as well do rotors while in there) end links, shocks and bushing should tighten the front end. If your car is a 2.5T you are probably due for a timing belt and PCV service too.

You can save a few bucks on the shocks and ball joints by going with Sachs shocks and lemforder ball joints, they OES. I wouldn't use an alternative control arm. Too many horror stories.

OES motor mounts are Hutchinson. I got ours from rmeuropean.com

Good luck

·
Registered
354 Posts
Our 2010 with 60k still rides very well - east 7-8 out of 10. With that many km's on yours though, the entire suspension needs an overhaul as there are many parts that are going to be worn which all together cause a poor ride. I agree that for most of these parts OE or parts known to be made by the OE manufacturers are the only way to go. I just did this on my '98 V70 and the car literally now rides like new. Well worth the money if you can swing it.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Part of my parts decisions are made by the country the parts were made in. The meyle HD suspension parts I ordered were made in Austria and Germany. Moog and pro parts are made in Taiwan and China and have high ratea of early failure.

·
Registered
354 Posts
You have to be careful with Meyle. They play up their German connection and often brand their packaging heavily with Meyle Germany, but their parts are generally made in China, a fact that they go to great lengths to hide.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
The boxes said made in Germany and made in Austria.. I don't know what the legal situation is with that, but I can't imagine they would outright lie.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Many horror stories about aftermarket control arms. if you are doing the wrenching go to Tasca Volvo or one of the other dealers that sell blue box parts on line.

Control arms, ball joints (might as well do rotors while in there) end links, shocks and bushing should tighten the front end. If your car is a 2.5T you are probably due for a timing belt and PCV service too.

You can save a few bucks on the shocks and ball joints by going with Sachs shocks and lemforder ball joints, they OES. I wouldn't use an alternative control arm. Too many horror stories.

OES motor mounts are Hutchinson. I got ours from rmeuropean.com

Good luck
My car has a diesel D5 engine, I replaced timing belt last year when I bought it just to be sure. I'll look up Sachs shocks and rmeuropean. Thanks for advice. I'll research this forum more and look up online for the good parts. If there are any good experiences with different brands which are not OEM post it. May also help someone else in the future.

·
Registered
94 Posts
What do you mean you took the door panels off and worked on them? Did the panels rattle? How did you fix that?
Inside each panel are screws that hold on the various things on the panel. I tightened each screw. Many were loose and rattling. My noises mostly went away.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The repair that made a huge improvement in overall smoothness at the front end area was replacement of the upper engine mount.

2004 XC90 2.5T 170K Km.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Didnt realize you were in Slovenia when I posted yesterday. I'm not sure who will ship the parts to you.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Didnt realize you were in Slovenia when I posted yesterday. I'm not sure who will ship the parts to you.
That isn't really a problem, with part numbers I can order parts in europe with minimum shipping costs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts