SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys.

I joined here a while back because I was going to purchase an 06 S60R, but that ended up falling thru. I am now back on the market and I found one right down the street from me. It is a 2006 Sonic Blue w/ Black, fully loaded with Nav etc., and has 22K miles on it. They are asking $25,000 for it. Is this a good price? If not, where should it be? Here are some of my questions...

1. What am I looking at for maintenance? Any major (or minor) problems that this model/year is known for? This would have to be the most important concern I have.

2. What am I looking at for an aftermarket? I know about Heico and Evolve and what they offer, is there anybody else? I have extensively modded most of my cars and I do not intend to change with the R. Basically, where do I have to look to get my (potential) R to look like this: http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=115192.

I just want to get some good answers from actual S60R owners so I know what I am looking at beforehand. I appreciate all the answers. THANKS!!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Considering it has really low miles, It's a relatively good deal, but like usual, you can always trying to talk the guy down.

Is the car you are looking at an auto or manual?

1) The R can get pricey with maintenance, but as always, it's best to just keep good condition of the car and do all preventative maintenance, and if you do that, you shouldn't have any abnormal problems. If you have the option, which you do, get the extended warranty, it's definitely worth it for the piece of mind.

2) iPd, VivaPerformance, EuroportTuning. VIVA and iPd offer the best solutions for ECU tuning (Personal opinion). The great thing about the R that you linked us to, it is it's almost completely stock, with exception to the hood grilles from EVOLVE and the custom dual exhaust. The rest is completely stock, which talks to the fact that the R is simply a beautiful car.

Oh, btw, I go to school in RI (Bryant), maybe I can take a look at the car for you since I'd consider myself to have a somewhat good knowledge about the Rs. I'm not going to say I'm an expert, but I know what to look for.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (cmurphy2266)

Yeah that's what I figured about maintenance. My mom has a 99 S80 T5 with like 85K on it and there's been some major maintenance required the past couple of years (she REFUSES to get rid of it tho lol). Why do you say that I have the option of getting an extended warranty? I was hoping I could do that but I wasn't sure if I could since the car isn't at a Volvo dealer.

Concerning the car in the link... is that the stock body kit? I wasn't sure if it was. Sucks that it wasn't offered in the Sonic Blue. Is there any way to purchase that kit new so I could just have it painted? I was looking at the Evolve kit but it's like $3K http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Re: (cmurphy2266)

Pricing can be hard to talk about. JRL can usually let you know what the going rate for Rs are. In fact, I would recommend dropping him a line.

As far as modifications, as it has been said, check out:
Eurosport Tuning
Viva Performance
IPD
Evolve

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Re: (HeicoR21)

Quote, originally posted by HeicoR21 »
Yeah that's what I figured about maintenance. My mom has a 99 S80 T5 with like 85K on it and there's been some major maintenance required the past couple of years (she REFUSES to get rid of it tho lol). Why do you say that I have the option of getting an extended warranty? I was hoping I could do that but I wasn't sure if I could since the car isn't at a Volvo dealer.

Concerning the car in the link... is that the stock body kit? I wasn't sure if it was. Sucks that it wasn't offered in the Sonic Blue. Is there any way to purchase that kit new so I could just have it painted? I was looking at the Evolve kit but it's like $3K http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif

It is in fact offered in Sonic Blue, and some of them come with it. You can always buy the factory kit, and get it painted. (www.myswedishparts.com) You can still get the extended warranty from the dealership.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: Potential S60R owner, Some Questions... (HeicoR21)

According to the profile, the R is a GT. Depending on the build date, the 06 GT's are a crap shoot thanks to a bad valve in the transmission. Some members have had the tranny replaced while others struggle with rough shifting. With regard to price, sounds salty for a 2006. Interior color is not black but rather Nordkap which is a dark blue. And any Euor make will have $$$$ maintenance; especially an overengineered Volvo with an angle gear.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Re: (infiniteecho)

yeah much nicer..I just paid 23k for an 06 v70r atacama /magic blue (27k) which go for more than the s60's so 25 sounds alot . The 6 speed auto has some reported issues but these issues PALE in comparison to the angle gear issues with the 6 speed manual ..With either car you have to take car of it as they are special and you can't beat on them...but that sonic atacama looks amazing!.... wow !! oh finally the atacama leather tends to weather better than the Nordkap leather

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (infiniteecho)

Ohh I thought it wasn't made for the Sonic. I just looked at the price tho, I might as well just get the Evolve kit.

I've been looking at suspension options and all im seeing is springs... no adjustable coilover options for the R?? I hate springs, the drop is always uneven.

Quote, originally posted by infiniteecho »
I'd recommend buying this R

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=102889

If you're interested, get in touch.

-Jesse

Ya know, I would. But I don't want a stick.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts

Ohh I thought it wasn't made for the Sonic. I just looked at the price tho, I might as well just get the Evolve kit.

I've been looking at suspension options and all im seeing is springs... no adjustable coilover options for the R?? I hate springs, the drop is always uneven.

Ya know, I would. But I don't want a stick.

Unfortunately, the R has electronically controlled struts, and there are no current replacement for them, so you're pretty much stuck with just springs.

You wouldn't want to drive a stick at all? Are you just done with them, or have you never driven one? I don't think I could own an automatic, i'm just preaching, i'm just sharing, but to each his own.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As far as maintenance goes im just talking about issues that have arisen just out of no where - not issues from beating the car up. I take EXTREMELY good care of my cars so that is not an issue. Im wondering about problems that have come from just everyday driving. I'm getting a little worried now from MagoonR talking about transmission issues

·
Registered
40 Posts
No stick?

I've taken amazing care of this car so I can assure you there won't be any transmission issues on account of me

3rd gear pull is about as much as I'm game for.

I don't know how to drive an automatic. I get in to drive my mom's XC90 and I always feel for the clutch pedal to start it ...

-Jesse

·
Registered
266 Posts

There are very few posts on the 6 speed auto compared to the angle gear on the MT..I absolutely love the 6 speed gt..its amazingly smooth...if you get a recent year model 06 or 07 you have a factory warranty and than you can get an extension..

·
Registered
266 Posts
Re: (MagoonR)

yeah two posts compared to hundreds for the angle gear...what part of the R doesn't have two posts.? . the benefits of the 6 speed gt with the stronger angle gear components are well documented (adykes hasn't found one angle gear failure)...

·
Registered
21,340 Posts

As far as maintenance goes im just talking about issues that have arisen just out of no where - not issues from beating the car up. I take EXTREMELY good care of my cars so that is not an issue. Im wondering about problems that have come from just everyday driving. I'm getting a little worried now from MagoonR talking about transmission issues

That IS what we are talking about.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: (98glt)

Quote, originally posted by 98glt »
the benefits of the 6 speed gt with the stronger angle gear components are well documented (adykes hasn't found one angle gear failure)...

Not disputing the benefits of the 6GT and angle gear.......merely responding to the OP who inquired about potential issues with the 2006 R.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.