SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I have come across a 2012 Volvo S60 T6 with 69,700 miles on the clock. It looks well taken care of and a Volvo dealership is selling it. I am at my wits end with my 05 S60R. Has there been any known issues with the T6 models from 2012? I know the T5s had some serious oil consumption issues from that year. Is there anything I should look out for during the test drive aside from the usual stuff? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I recently made a similar jump into the P3 cars. There was a lot of good information that others gave me when I asked what I'd gotten myself into and it's here:

https://forums.swedespeed.com/#/topics/590769?page=1

The T6 models seem to be largely free of the really bad oil consumption issues that the T5 models had for a couple of years. They do apparently go through strut mounts fairly quickly though. Still, I've been quite happy with mine so far. I'm beginning to think that the SI6 is an underappreciated engine, but I really don't have enough data to be sure yet.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm beginning to think that the SI6 is an underappreciated engine, but I really don't have enough data to be sure yet.
Underappreciated??? Not by those who drive them. :partywave:

·
Registered
14,016 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I have come across a 2012 Volvo S60 T6 with 69,700 miles on the clock. It looks well taken care of and a Volvo dealership is selling it. I am at my wits end with my 05 S60R. Has there been any known issues with the T6 models from 2012? I know the T5s had some serious oil consumption issues from that year. Is there anything I should look out for during the test drive aside from the usual stuff? Thanks in advance.
I have seen one or two reports of excessive oil burning on this year motor either in this car or the XC60 but nowhere near the issue with the 5 cylinder motors from '12 and '13. The SI6 is a great engine and it's a shame that Volvo stopped offering it/couldn't work out an arrangement with Ford to keep supplying it. I liked it so much I bought a second car with this motor because I knew they were no longer offering it. As you can see from my signature I've owned a bunch of P3 cars and overall they've been great.

·
Registered
753 Posts
It's better than my 2012 oil guzzling T5. Throwing more money to keep an '05 S60R vs a brand spanking newish low mileage SI6 is not my area of expertise, but my bones sure don't complain in my 2012. Smooth, comfortable and quick. Will take a few years to get over how much more powerful your S60R feels but my new theory is who really wants more road feel ? not me

·
Registered
14 Posts
Most perfect car I have ever owned

It's better than my 2012 oil guzzling T5. Throwing more money to keep an '05 S60R vs a brand spanking newish low mileage SI6 is not my area of expertise, but my bones sure don't complain in my 2012. Smooth, comfortable and quick. Will take a few years to get over how much more powerful your S60R feels but my new theory is who really wants more road feel ? not me
in
I have a 2012 S60 T6 AWD Rdesign, (European delivery, a wonderful experience that would do again, if they made S60s in Gothenburg, which they don't) 178,000 miles. We have had NO trouble with this car other than when our local mechanic put non-iridium spark plugs in it. Replaced with what factory called for and the miss went away. We changed the front brakes at 140,000 miles, did that ourselves with no trouble, replace numerous windshield wipers, and tires like a maniac. The struts are still good as is the body which is perfect. (we are in Texas so rust is not an issue). It does not leak oil, (have used Mobil 1 since I got out of the clutches of the Dallas Volvo dealer) and it will still whip most chicken **** BMWs with no problem. I love the car and since Volvo has abandoned the inline 6, when the engine does go, I will have it rebuilt and drive it another 250K miles. The only problem I have had was in the first 4 years of ownership, there was a slow build up of speeding tickets... The car makes 90 mph feel like 50 and that argument seems to fall on deaf ears of the Troopers. I have never felt the need for the Polestar upgrade, and think it is a ripoff.

I must admit one thing, I suspect that we are at the end of our new Volvo purchases: 1. I don't want a hybrid. 2. The Polestar is too expensive, if I want to spend $60K I will buy a Jag or an Alpha. 3. Nothing in the European delivery system is of interest, since I hate SUVs. 4. I am sure that nothing they produce today will be a good as current S60.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have had my car for over 2 years now and have had no big issues (granted, 2013 vs the 2012). I would make sure that all of the doors work with the key-less entry as I have had that fixed for a few of them under CPO (design allows for water/moisture ingress apparently). I also haven't had any issues with the struts to my knowledge (at a little over 75k miles).

From my time on the forum (or lurking before I started posting) I would say the biggest thing is just looking for any signs of oil burning as mentioned just in case as well as make sure that you take a nice test drive to check the transmission for issues. I had some rough transitions from N-D that were fixed with a transmission adaptation reset/relearn. There have also been others with rough transmissions shifting in warm or partially warmed up conditions. I would try and take a good 15-20 minute test drive if possible from cold. The adaptation helped me but others have stated more extensive repairs

I never owned an S60R but I did look at them prior to pulling the trigger on my car (especially enticed by the prospect of the manual). In the end it seemed that the P3 was a bit more bang for the buck performance and in terms be amenities (price/performance, it was significantly more money). There have been a couple other who have come up from the P2 R and seem to very much enjoy the upgrade as well. As side from the main issues (that hopefully you wouldn't have to worry about from the Volvo dealer) these seem to be solid cars and I am sure you will enjoy the newer car. (Side note.... you could always buy my car to facilitate me getting something newer....:whistle:)

·
Registered
735 Posts
I'm beginning to think that the SI6 is an underappreciated engine, but I really don't have enough data to be sure yet.
Underappreciated??? Not by those who drive them.
I certainly love it so far. I still have a soft spot for the 2.3 liter high pressure 5, but man, the SI6 is smooth and I love the low-end torque from that twin scroll turbo.

I'm still not fully used to how much wider the P3 feels than my old P80 though.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have had my car for over 2 years now and have had no big issues (granted, 2013 vs the 2012). I would make sure that all of the doors work with the key-less entry as I have had that fixed for a few of them under CPO (design allows for water/moisture ingress apparently). I also haven't had any issues with the struts to my knowledge (at a little over 75k miles).

From my time on the forum (or lurking before I started posting) I would say the biggest thing is just looking for any signs of oil burning as mentioned just in case as well as make sure that you take a nice test drive to check the transmission for issues. I had some rough transitions from N-D that were fixed with a transmission adaptation reset/relearn. There have also been others with rough transmissions shifting in warm or partially warmed up conditions. I would try and take a good 15-20 minute test drive if possible from cold. The adaptation helped me but others have stated more extensive repairs

I never owned an S60R but I did look at them prior to pulling the trigger on my car (especially enticed by the prospect of the manual). In the end it seemed that the P3 was a bit more bang for the buck performance and in terms be amenities (price/performance, it was significantly more money). There have been a couple other who have come up from the P2 R and seem to very much enjoy the upgrade as well. As side from the main issues (that hopefully you wouldn't have to worry about from the Volvo dealer) these seem to be solid cars and I am sure you will enjoy the newer car. (Side note.... you could always buy my car to facilitate me getting something newer....:whistle:)
Thank you to everyone for their feedback. This is why Swedespeed is the best. Drdonkey I would love to buy your R-Design. The color is just right up my alley and it sounds like you have done some cool stuff with it and we are fairly close to each other. I am more than confident that I cannot afford it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I recently made a similar jump into the P3 cars. There was a lot of good information that others gave me when I asked what I'd gotten myself into and it's here:

https://forums.swedespeed.com/#/topics/590769?page=1

The T6 models seem to be largely free of the really bad oil consumption issues that the T5 models had for a couple of years. They do apparently go through strut mounts fairly quickly though. Still, I've been quite happy with mine so far. I'm beginning to think that the SI6 is an underappreciated engine, but I really don't have enough data to be sure yet.
Really? I haven't heard about the strut mount issue. But now you have me wondering.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Really? I haven't heard about the strut mount issue. But now you have me wondering.
I haven't had issues with mine in the two months I've had it, but I definitely trust p.rico's comments about them. Both because everything I've seen from him indicates that he's thoughtful and knowledgeable about these cars and because I remember Volvo's history of strut mount issues on the P80 cars.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Long time lurker here. I have several Volvo’s including a 2012 S60 T6

At about 140,000 it started to burn oil. I had read somewhere on line that it was possible that the PCV Oil Trap on some of these can get clogged (or the area underneath the part) and or the rubber diaphragm can get a rip in it

I ordered a new one that is supposedly redesigned and replaced it, 5k later still hasn’t burned any oil

5k isn’t conclusive but I thought I’d add that to the conversation

And, now my strut mount is making noise... but all in all I’m very happy with the car and it’s a pleasure to drive

·
Registered
4 Posts
in
I have a 2012 S60 T6 AWD Rdesign, (European delivery, a wonderful experience that would do again, if they made S60s in Gothenburg, which they don't) 178,000 miles. We have had NO trouble with this car other than when our local mechanic put non-iridium spark plugs in it. Replaced with what factory called for and the miss went away. We changed the front brakes at 140,000 miles, did that ourselves with no trouble, replace numerous windshield wipers, and tires like a maniac. The struts are still good as is the body which is perfect. (we are in Texas so rust is not an issue). It does not leak oil, (have used Mobil 1 since I got out of the clutches of the Dallas Volvo dealer) and it will still whip most chicken **** BMWs with no problem. I love the car and since Volvo has abandoned the inline 6, when the engine does go, I will have it rebuilt and drive it another 250K miles. The only problem I have had was in the first 4 years of ownership, there was a slow build up of speeding tickets... The car makes 90 mph feel like 50 and that argument seems to fall on deaf ears of the Troopers. I have never felt the need for the Polestar upgrade, and think it is a ripoff.

I must admit one thing, I suspect that we are at the end of our new Volvo purchases: 1. I don't want a hybrid. 2. The Polestar is too expensive, if I want to spend $60K I will buy a Jag or an Alpha. 3. Nothing in the European delivery system is of interest, since I hate SUVs. 4. I am sure that nothing they produce today will be a good as current S60.
mrain1, I also have a 2012 S60 RDesign. Bought it used one year ago with 76,000 miles on it at the time (I have put 1,500 miles on it since my purchase in 3/18). In any event, I am damn near certain that the 2012 RDesign came with the Polestar tune installed at the factory level (at least US version did). I believe the 2013 model did as well but subsequent ‘13 the polestar tune did (and to this day remains) an additional add on which is installed at the dealer level (for an up-charge of course). I can say this, even the dealership that sold me the car thought there was an upgrade available (i.e. Polestar tune). They ran a check and determined that the software was already installed at the factory level.

Here is a link to a dealer’s website (unfortunately not the one I purchased my car from (haha)) that confirms such

https://www.suburbanvolvocars.com/service/polestar-performance-upgrades.

Just wanted to let you know so you do not feel you are not getting the most Volvo has to offer

Of note, I have had zero issues with the car other than I did have to get the keyless entry (on the driver side door fixed)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have 2012 T5 with no oil issues.
The AM radio sucks.
The car did not come with NAV and can't get an aftermarket system. If you need NAV you need to have it OEM/Factory.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Purchased my 2011 S60 T6 a couple years ago simply for a set of wheels. Did not do any research. The selling point was the price! From a dealer with all service records.

Now that I have put 60K KM on it I have a couple comments:

1. 3.0 L 6 is a keeper! So much torque with a beautiful power band.
2. Transmission works well. Hard pressed to justify manually shifting, it does such a good job at keeping the RPM in the sweet spot.
3. The car is loaded. Premium sound system is very good. Radar Cruise is excellent once you get used to its operation.
4. A friend with a low mile 2012 S60 drove my high mile S60 and as far as he was concerned the mileage had not given it rattles or sloppy anything (my car has 174K miles). Says a lot of constructio and design.
5. Does not use any oil between changes.
6. Very good fuel economy if you can keep your foot out of it.

Having said that I am now spending some money on a burst 4C shock ($500 to $1100 each depending where you buy) but, considering it has 174K miles on it can not complain. Also, audio for cell, media and radio is cutting out every so often. Looks like it is the IAM which is a +/-$700 touch plus installation and programming.

Test drove the new S60 with the 4. The 6 just feels better!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've got around 70k miles on my s60 T6. Really the only major issues so far have been with the front suspension. In fact I'm still dealing with a front strut mount issue even after having it replaced twice (ugh). Otherwise its been a good car. The 3.0 liter inline 6 is perhaps one of the best kept secrets of the auto industry, it really is a sweet motor and from what I've read it is relatively bulletproof.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I have that that exact model. It has 184,000 miles on it (I live in rural East Texas and the nearest grocery store is a 40 mile round trip). The car is PERFECT. I have changed the front brakes at 130K miles, had some trouble with the damn Ford ignition coils but other than that, it is perfect. No oil consumption, nothing. When this breaks, it will get the thing blueprinted and drive it till the wheels fall off. I may look for a slightly newer model up to 2014 to drive as a replacement when I have to have this blueprinted, but it is clearly the best car Volvo ever made.

·
Registered
687 Posts
in

I agree with you 100% it’s almost like you took the words right out of my mouth.

I wish I would have done the OSD. I bought mine new also

I like certain SUV’s but I have no need for them my dog fits perfectly fine in the back I’ve hauled plenty of things in it just fine

1 - 19 of 19 Posts