SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I detailed in my last post, my 2015.5 S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum was destroyed last Friday in accident. I walked away without a scratch and I immediately started searching for my next Volvo! Here are the four possibilities that I am seriously considering-

CPO 2014 Volvo S60 T6 AWD Platinum
Seashell Metallic w/ Black Sport Leather
Polestar Software Upgrade (325hp and 354lb-ft of torque, up from 300 and 325)
Technology Package
Climate Package
BLIS
18" Titania Alloys
26k Miles, CPO, off-lease
$30,455 plus tax OTD

This is a very interesting car and it is in PERFECT condition. It was turned in at the end of a 30-month lease and it has clearly been babied. It has every option available except the 19" BOR Alloys (which my 2015.5 S60 had). I'm not crazy about the 18" Titania alloys and part of the deal (and the price above) includes the dealer replacing them with the new-for-2016 18" Skadi alloys.

2015.5 Volvo V60 T6 R-Design AWD Platinum
Passion Red w/ Black Nubuck Textile/Leather
BLIS
Heated Front Seats
19" Ixion II alloy wheels (upgrade from 18")
5,700 miles (Loaner)
$37,300 plus tax OTD

I like this V60 a lot. My only concern is that it was a Dealer Loaner and has 5,700 miles on it. So it only has 44k miles of warranty coverage vs. 50k for one with no miles. The MSRP on the window sticker was $51,915, so $37,300 is definitely a hefty discount and more than enough to compensate for the mileage. There are two other issues- the interior is the Black Nubuck Textile/Leather (cloth/leather mix) instead of the full R-Design Leather interior which I would prefer. I also would like the full Climate Package but this one only has the Heated Front Seats. I'm not sure if these are deal breakers or not.....

2016 Volvo S60 T5 Drive-E R-Design Special Edition
Passion Red w/ Black Leather
Bi-Xenon Adaptive Headlights
Harmon/Kardon Audio
BLIS
Convenience Pkg (Homelink, Rearview Camera, Power Retractable Side Mirrors)
Heated Front Seats
$38,485 plus tax OTD

This is a very sharp looking car but it lacks a few things that I would miss. First off, it's a T5 Drive-E, so it has 62hp less than the T6 Drive-E that I am replacing. For some reason, Volvo chose NOT to offer the Technology Package or Climate Package on this model (Heated Front Seats only). Still, the $38,485 price is a steal and it includes a $2k Conquest Bonus (which I can get since I still own my beloved '95 Acura). It's fourth on the list right now, the lack of Technology Package is the biggest issue....

2016 Volvo S60 T6 R-Design Platinum AWD
Osmium Grey w/ Black R-Design Leather
BLIS
Heated Front Seats
$45,175 plus tax OTD

I love this one! If price wasn't a consideration, it would be the no-contest winner. The sticker price is $50,125 and $45,175 includes a $2k Conquest Bonus. It has everything I want with the exception of the full Climate Package (just has Heated Front Seats).

Right now, the 2014 T6 is the front runner. The dealer isn't thrilled about the doing the wheel swap (originally quoted cost at $2,280 but I haggled it down to $1,300 which is included in the final price of $30,455). But the GM of the dealership agreed to it in writing earlier today. The CPO Warranty is nice and the car is practically brand new and has every feature I want. The question now is financing. I always qualify for the low/no interest financing deals on new models, but interest rates on used car loans is higher. I'm shopping around for the best loan and the dealer is doing the same. If I can get less than 2.9% for 36-48 months with $8k down, it's a done deal....

Leasing the 2016 T6 R-Design Platinum is the runner up, but the dealer rejected my offer on Thursday and I'm anxious to see their counter. Volvo is currently offering a promo lease on the V60 T6 R-Design (with Metallic Paint and Heated Front Seats only)- $3,139 due at signing and $439/month for 39 months. My offer was $1,139 at signing ($3,139 minus $2k Conquest Bonus) and $439 plus tax per month for 39 months. The V60 T6 R-Design offered in the promo lease has a MSRP of $47,800 while the S60 T6 R-Design Platinum I want is $50,125 ($2,325 higher sticker price).

I'll go up to $1,500 at signing and $450 plus tax for 39 months, but no more. BTW, I got a killer lease deal on my dearly departed T6 Drive-E Platinum using the same exact tactic. They were offering a lease special on the T6 Drive-E (non-Platinum) with Heated Seats and Metallic Paint for $3,199 at signing and $349/month. I wanted the same deal on the T6 Platinum and, after three weeks of refusing to budge, the dealer finally gave in. I paid $1,199 at signing ($2k Conquest Bonus also applied then) and $368/month INCLUDING tax. We'll see if they concede again.....and before I buy that 2014 T6!

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'd go for the V60. Helll of a deal! Of course I'm a bit bias, but $37k and change for a 2015.5 that was stickered at 51K? I'd just want it gone over by an objective mechanic, if possible, to make sure it wasn't "rode hard and put away wet."

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hmm. If you go with an S60, Osmium grey might be my new favorite Volvo color ever.
However, I love the V60.
My dad had a 2012 S60. We ended up giving it to my mom when we sold her aging Honda. He replaced the S60 with a 2015 V60 Drive E in Power Blue.

The V60 is honestly a better S60. I think it looks much sharper, especially in the rear, it also becomes a heck of a lot more practical.

Very jealous your dealer loaned an R Design out!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd go for the V60. Helll of a deal! Of course I'm a bit bias, but $37k and change for a 2015.5 that was stickered at 51K? I'd just want it gone over by an objective mechanic, if possible, to make sure it wasn't "rode hard and put away wet."
You literally took the phrase right out of my head- I am concerned that it might have been "Rode hard and put up wet!" (BTW- I heard that phrase all of my life but I was in college before I realized that it was actually referring to horses! It was always used to describe certain kind of women when anyone I knew said it! =)

Seriously, it's nowhere near as risky as buying a rental car and Volvo service customers are among the least likely to abuse a loaner....but it only takes one.....or the kid of just one customer! That is my biggest concern.

The interior is the other thing that really worries me. I've read on several sites that the Nubuck/Leather combo has some wear and durability issues. The driver's seat doesn't exactly look worn, but it doesn't look brand new either. I just don't care for the mixed material seats, I really want the full leather! But the price is a steal....

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm. If you go with an S60, Osmium grey might be my new favorite Volvo color ever.
However, I love the V60.
My dad had a 2012 S60. We ended up giving it to my mom when we sold her aging Honda. He replaced the S60 with a 2015 V60 Drive E in Power Blue.

The V60 is honestly a better S60. I think it looks much sharper, especially in the rear, it also becomes a heck of a lot more practical.

Very jealous your dealer loaned an R Design out!
Osmium Grey is an awesome color, I agree. It looks a lot like my 2006 Mazda3 s 5-door which is Titanium Gray (and which I still own, but rarely drive). It's sort of a 'medium' gray.

I had the Mazda3 5-door, then a 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT before my S60. Going back to a sedan with a conventional trunk after having a hatchback then a large SUV/CUV wasn't an easy adjustment. So the V60 definitely appeals to me and I think the S60 and V60 both look great.

Three of the four models I'm considering are R-Design, which means 19" wheels and Sport Chassis. The S60 T6 that I just totaled had the 19" BOR alloy wheels and Sport Chassis. I loved the way it handled but the ride could get a little stiff on less than perfect road surfaces. And hitting a pothole or driving on a rough road surface would almost jar your teeth out of your head! The 2014 T6 that I'm looking at has 18s and the Dynamic Chassis. The ride is much more relaxed but it still handles very well.

As for the dealer using the R-Design as a service loaner, I asked the Sales Manager about that. He told me that it sat on the lot for four months unsold while a Pearl White and two Savile Gray R-Designs came and went during the same period. Apparently, at least in my area, there isn't a market for a bright red wagon....although I'd pick the Passion Red even if I had my choice of any color! But after so long, they press unsold inventory into the loaner fleet regardless of what they are. They still have a 2014 S80 T6 Platinum with Inscription Package in their loaner fleet.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
First choice ftw

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First choice ftw
I like the fact that it is the Seashell color and very conservative on the exterior. It is definitely a "wolf in sheep's clothing" if there has ever been one! The thing is a beast when you put the hammer down! =)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Who is your local dealer in Lake Arrowhead, Georgia? Just curious as I purchased my V60 at North Point Volvo. Wondering if there is a Volvo dealership I missed while shopping for a car.

·
Registered
13,490 Posts
I would probably go for the RD, followed by the 2014 S60 T6. They both seem like very good deals but the RD gets the nod for updated Sensus and other RD goodies. I may be in the minority but I wish my RD had the split Nubuck/ leather seats. I have had a version of these seats though with synthetic suede alcantara material and leather on two previous cars and found that it was pretty durable. My 2012 S60 was a retired service loaner and you are right, the people that are driving these cars are typically not going to abuse them. The shorter warranty by 6k miles is inconsequential. Color is a personal thing so you've have to like red.

Good luck with your decision. Looks like you have some good candidates here.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
If money isnt a problem: 2016 S60 Special Edition.
If mondy is a problem: The 2014.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Who is your local dealer in Lake Arrowhead, Georgia? Just curious as I purchased my V60 at North Point Volvo. Wondering if there is a Volvo dealership I missed while shopping for a car.
North Point and Volvo of Marietta are my closest dealerships, both about an hour away from me. North Point is where I leased the S60 that I just wrecked. I really like their sales and service departments. But it's a matter of finding the right car and buying it wherever I find it.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Get the V60. Our V60CC was a loaner with 7400 miles and came with a Volvo CPO warranty. Absolutely love the car. You may like the Volvo-on-call with the 2015.5 and later cars also.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
'16 V60 T6 RD AWD - basically got the loaded version in Onyx Black with every option but 19" wheels, moving up from an '07 V70 R, and am VERY happy so far. Only area it suffers a bit in comparison is the brakes - the true Rs and PoleStars have Brembo's. Paid the equivalent of US$38k (C$54k) and had an extra bonus as it is $600/year less expensive to insure.
Would say in Georgia, you don't really need the AWD and the T6, so you could save the money and gas, but it is really great for performance - you can plant your foot as deep as you like and never worry about traction and putting the power down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
505 Posts
Perhaps this might help: we have the seats of which you speak: nubuck combo. Had I not spend a bunch of time in them in summer and in winter, I would have had to agree with you that on paper it doesn't sound so hot. The reality is that these seats are just flat out better than leather. They wear well, don't feel hot in the summer or cold in the winter.

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
The 2015.5 V60 R-Design - Passion Red, limited # of R-Designs in this color and it has the 3.0 6cyl T6, which is a fantastic motor. Have the dealer include a CPO warranty at that price. Then you will have 7yrs/100k miles of warranty - better warranty than getting a new 2016. :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Had to do some "Recon" this afternoon! =)

A point of contention between me, the leasing company and the salvage/tow facility has been over accessories I purchased AFTER I signed the lease. They weren't part of the car when I leased it, I purchased them online and have receipts to prove it and my insurance company assures me that I have as much right to those items as I do to my phone charger or sunglasses inside the car! The tow yard manager has been a major dick about it and the leasing company hasn't returned my call since I sent them the receipts showing where I bought everything separately.

I spent $2k on that stuff (the Exterior Styling Kit being $1050 alone) and I decided to go collect my belongings after the tow yard closed this afternoon! My cousin is a GA State Trooper and I roped him into going with me in case I ran into trouble. I took the Side Scuff Plates and Rear Diffuser (the Front Bumper Spoiler was destroyed in the wreck) from the Exterior Styling Kit. I also got the Under-floor Spare Kit and Tempa Spare from the trunk that I added and I also had the stainless steel front sill plates and I managed to pry those loose from the adhesive. I left the mud guards, trunk mat and the $300 rear spoiler that I added to the trunk lid. Even if I can't use these things in my new vehicle, I can sell them.

I'm SURE that I'll hear about it from the leasing company or the tow facility tomorrow, but I don't care. I left a letter and photocopies of the receipts for the things I removed in the night drop slot. All I did was retrieve what legally belongs to me....It's a shame that I had to do it covertly like a criminal, but it was also the best rush I've had in a long time! Like Whitney Houston once said, "I can be ghetto when I want to...you know that now!" =)

·
Banned
763 Posts
A point of contention between me, the leasing company and the salvage/tow facility has been over accessories I purchased AFTER I signed the lease. They weren't part of the car when I leased it, I purchased them online and have receipts to prove it and my insurance company assures me that I have as much right to those items as I do to my phone charger or sunglasses inside the car! The tow yard manager has been a major dick about it and the leasing company hasn't returned my call since I sent them the receipts showing where I bought everything separately.

I spent $2k on that stuff (the Exterior Styling Kit being $1050 alone) and I decided to go collect my belongings after the tow yard closed this afternoon! My cousin is a GA State Trooper and I roped him into going with me in case I ran into trouble. I took the Side Scuff Plates and Rear Diffuser (the Front Bumper Spoiler was destroyed in the wreck) from the Exterior Styling Kit. I also got the Under-floor Spare Kit and Tempa Spare from the trunk that I added and I also had the stainless steel front sill plates and I managed to pry those loose from the adhesive. I left the mud guards, trunk mat and the $300 rear spoiler that I added to the trunk lid. Even if I can't use these things in my new vehicle, I can sell them.

I'm SURE that I'll hear about it from the leasing company or the tow facility tomorrow, but I don't care. I left a letter and photocopies of the receipts for the things I removed in the night drop slot. All I did was retrieve what legally belongs to me....It's a shame that I had to do it covertly like a criminal, but it was also the best rush I've had in a long time! Like Whitney Houston once said, "I can be ghetto when I want to...you know that now!" =)
Having a state trooper go with you? Hah, talk about connections...

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'd vote for the V60 and then the 2016 S60. In that order. I would want to get the V60 certified which should take away immediate concerns about it being a loaner. I don't favor the 2014 only because you need to make the wheel swap and pay for it to boot. Tells me the car isn't right, plus I do like the senses updates and the added safety of Volvo On Call of the 2015.5+ cars. I'm not really a drive E fan so I would check that one off the list, especially because it's the lower powered T5. Would be tough for me to make the jump back in power knowing you had the T6.

My .02.

Can't wait to hear the update.

TJ

1 - 20 of 39 Posts