SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A test drive is never enough and I've driven the XC60 R Design. Does any one know of a way to rent one for a day or weekend to really get a sense of the vehicle, it's systems, the great things, the quarks,, etc.

I wish there was a company that allowed us to rent any vehicle we wanted to or perhaps Volvo dealers had this as a service.

I'm in the Los Angeles, CA area?

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
A test drive is never enough and I've driven the XC60 R Design. Does any one know of a way to rent one for a day or weekend to really get a sense of the vehicle, it's systems, the great things, the quarks,, etc.

I wish there was a company that allowed us to rent any vehicle we wanted to or perhaps Volvo dealers had this as a service.

Have you checked with one of the Volvo stores to see if they would give you one, overnight? Where, in the LA area are you at? I am the Volvo Market Manager for area and I can assist if needed.

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
Dealers around here (not just Volvo) will do a $1 24-hour rental for any car on their lot. This puts the car on your insurance rather than the dealer's like it is for a traditional test-drive.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I found a dealer with a pre-owned 2011 xc60 and asked them for an "overnight" loaner. With 11k on the odometer, they were not worried about it in the least. Of course, I then bought mine from another dealer. Shhhhhhh................

·
Registered
18 Posts
My local Volvo dealership has loaner vehicles, they offered to let me take an XC60 T6 over a weekend so long as I put gas it in. I've also known of rental companies keeping base model XC60's in their rental fleets, these are usually FWD 3.2L models with no extras though. Just check around and I'm sure you'll find someone who will accomodate you, if so throw your business their way.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts

This was my first Volvo and we wanted to participate in OSD. So I wanted an "extended test drive" before signing the paperwork. I found a dealer that had loaner cars and would let me borrow one over the weekend. I was initially going to buy through a different dealer but felt the second deserved the $.

I also tried rental car agencies; Enterprise did rent them but nothing in my area.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I also tried rental car agencies; Enterprise did rent them but nothing in my area.
My darling actually got one through Enterprise in Atlanta in '10. Imagine her surprise when they upgraded her from her compact and around the corner rolls a very familiar vehicle. Pretty sure it was a 3.2, but she enjoyed it for nearly a week. No idea at all if they still have them.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
This was my first Volvo and we wanted to participate in OSD. So I wanted an "extended test drive" before signing the paperwork. I found a dealer that had loaner cars and would let me borrow one over the weekend. I was initially going to buy through a different dealer but felt the second deserved the $.
And I applaud you for rewarding them with your business. Plus, their staff (and the owners) are good people as well.

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
My darling actually got one through Enterprise in Atlanta in '10. Imagine her surprise when they upgraded her from her compact and around the corner rolls a very familiar vehicle. Pretty sure it was a 3.2, but she enjoyed it for nearly a week. No idea at all if they still have them.
I think that's pretty common. All three Volvo dealer locations in the Twin Cities have Enterprise rental locations nearby that have a lot of Volvos available because the dealers use them if they run out of normal service loaner cars.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I found a dealer with a pre-owned 2011 xc60 and asked them for an "overnight" loaner. With 11k on the odometer, they were not worried about it in the least. Of course, I then bought mine from another dealer. Shhhhhhh................
That is just a crappy thing to do unless the price was alot lower. Just crappy man. :facepalm:.

·
Registered
365 Posts
That is just a crappy thing to do unless the price was alot lower. Just crappy man. :facepalm:.
They wanted $44,000 for a 2011 T6 with Premier Plus with 11k miles versus the fact I paid $44,700 (net price) for a new 2012 Platinum T6. You be the judge...what would you have done?

Unless you are a car salesman, I'm not sure of anyone who thinks working a better deal elsewhere is crappy. They had me on their lot - they just chose to go for a big profit on the used car, and it didnt work out. I'm always amazed at what crazy "deals" car dealers offer to those of us savvy enough to shop the market on the internet. However, I suppose that for every 8 people who say "no thanks - that is not fair", they get one person who comes in and buys it without knowing better. A $5k profit on one car probably beats selling 2-3 cars for $1,500 profit (on each).

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
They wanted $44,000 for a 2011 T6 with Premier Plus with 11k miles versus the fact I paid $44,700 (net price) for a new 2012 Platinum T6. You be the judge...what would you have done?

Unless you are a car salesman, I'm not sure of anyone who thinks working a better deal elsewhere is crappy. They had me on their lot - they just chose to go for a big profit on the used car, and it didnt work out. I'm always amazed at what crazy "deals" car dealers offer to those of us savvy enough to shop the market on the internet. However, I suppose that for every 8 people who say "no thanks - that is not fair", they get one person who comes in and buys it without knowing better. A $5k profit on one car probably beats selling 2-3 cars for $1,500 profit (on each).
There seem to be a lot of stupid or lazy people when it comes to car buying.

There is one dealer who advertises "$5000 off, or $5000 rebate, or $5000 more for your trade than it is worth" on their cars. In the fine print (or quiet voice), they state it is off "dealer posted price". So it seems they're increasing the price some amount over MSRP to "give" a big discount. IIRC, it is a Kia dealer, so we're not talking about $50,000 cars... The dealer seems to sell a lot of cars.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts

There is one dealer who advertises "$5000 off, or $5000 rebate, or $5000 more for your trade than it is worth" on their cars. In the fine print (or quiet voice), they state it is off "dealer posted price". So it seems they're increasing the price some amount over MSRP to "give" a big discount. IIRC, it is a Kia dealer, so we're not talking about $50,000 cars... The dealer seems to sell a lot of cars.
It IS scary to think of the marketing ploys that 'might' work with some folks. A used car dealer nearby had a bold $1800 painted on the windshield of every vehicle in the front lot(Some were likely worth only $1800, but others obviously were $20K or more). Just below the BOLD $1800 was the script lettering(much smaller) "down". Great marketing tool, I reckon! IF that attracted a single customer, I might just have to move to another town. ;)

·
Registered
365 Posts

It IS scary to think of the marketing ploys that 'might' work with some folks. A used car dealer nearby had a bold $1800 painted on the windshield of every vehicle in the front lot(Some were likely worth only $1800, but others obviously were $20K or more). Just below the BOLD $1800 was the script lettering(much smaller) "down". Great marketing tool, I reckon! IF that attracted a single customer, I might just have to move to another town. ;)
My favorite was the Chevy dealer who had an ad on Autotrader for a new Suburban LTZ, loaded up with the works. MSRP was around $64k, and I had seem them marked down as low as $57k elsewhere. The dealer in question had an advertised price on the vehicle of $52k. It was high on my list, so I called to tell them I would take it. Of course, it was at that point that they explained that because of my trade, I didnt qualify for a $1,000 Chevy "Loyalty" bonus, and that the advertised price was the "Chevy employee price", and all I needed as a number of an employee to get the additional $4k in deductions. When I explained that I didnt know anyone who worked for Chevy, he said that they could let it go for $57k - the same as anyone else. I was pissed that the advertised price was a dupe. There's a lot of shady dealers out there.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
My favorite was the Chevy dealer who had an ad on Autotrader for a new Suburban LTZ, loaded up with the works. MSRP was around $64k, and I had seem them marked down as low as $57k elsewhere. The dealer in question had an advertised price on the vehicle of $52k. It was high on my list, so I called to tell them I would take it. Of course, it was at that point that they explained that because of my trade, I didnt qualify for a $1,000 Chevy "Loyalty" bonus, and that the advertised price was the "Chevy employee price", and all I needed as a number of an employee to get the additional $4k in deductions. When I explained that I didnt know anyone who worked for Chevy, he said that they could let it go for $57k - the same as anyone else. I was pissed that the advertised price was a dupe. There's a lot of shady dealers out there.
I've seen dealers list cars at a very good price in a large font with all kinds of requirements in the small print (including "price includes downpayment or trade of $X"). In reality, they're listing the car for MSRP (or higher) but hide that fact. I like the rules where airlines are required to show the total cost of a ticket (including taxes), the fine print games are really annoying.

Don't get me started on post-ticket airline "fees".

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
That is terrible...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts