SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently an '08 C30 owner and enjoying the car very much. Although would like some more space. I was thinking of a V70 R but the maintenance is scaring me along with a few other items.

I used to own 95 Legend which the S80 reminds me allot of. I found a few V8s in my area and wanted to go take a look soon but was curious if there was anything I should stay away from or make sure a certain service was completed. Most of the cars in my area are around 100k. Basically are there any issues to keep in mind with an '08 S80 V8.

Thanks in advance.

Rich

Registered
I haven't owned my V8 for long enough to know if there are any expensive services. I could imagine that the auxiliary belt tensioner along with the belt (?) is more costly than a regular oil+filter kind of service but aside from that: not that I know of. I think the tensioners are due at 150k miles and, if I recall correctly, the belt itself is changed every 50k miles?

Some 2007 S80's had trouble with a valve body in the gearbox (cars manufactured before oct 2006) but if you're going for a 2008 or newer that's wont be a concern.

The only thing I'd keep an eye out on if whether the gearbox has been flushed or not. It's a bit of a disputed area but I'd dare claim consensus is that it'll do your gearbox and its lifespan very good. I think a rule of thumb is to flush it every... 50-80k miles or so? Depending on your usage. Volvo thinks flushing isn't necessary for normal driving though recommended for people who tow a lot, tax-/police cars etc. If it isn't flushed I'd do that straight away. edit: I should clarify: at a 100k I think a flush is due. If it's done a lot more than that, say 150k+ miles then some people argue a first flush might stir up debris and gunk or what ever. It could still be good, it could take two flushes or you might be better off not doing it. Though that only applies for higher miled cars really.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With my legend it was either flush the transmission every 40-60 or don't do it at all; I have heard of several mechanics mixing the old with the new as too much millage wears out the clutch pads and the new fluid would leave the them bare and add to slippage. I totally agree with that

Registered
I had a 92 (stolen with 34,569 miles) and a 93 Legend Coupe. Back in 01/02 we looked at sedans and narrowed it to a CPO RL, CPO S80 or new Aurora V8. We bought the Aurora. Last month I replaced my 99 540i M Sport Manual with an 07 V8 with 59k miles. Yes the S80 reminds us of the Legend - but with AWD.

I changed the transmission fluid a in the legend. It was a drain and fill for about $100. I sold the Legend to a co worker when we bought the Aurora. A few years later after the car ticked 200,000 miles my co worker called to tell me the milestone and that it was trouble free. That Legend probably has 400,000 on it by now.

The reason we didn't buy a Volvo back in 01 was the dealer offered me less than wholesale on my Legend and wanted more than retail for the CPO. When I asked why a Volvo was worth more than an Acura the saleswoman said "safety". I left with my death trap Legend. My S80 has the heartbeat monitor. That isn't Volvo selling safety, that's Volvo selling fear. If you have a $55k car you aren't parking in the ghetto, and if you are they aren't waiting in the car to get you.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Registered
This S80 has the vented seats, good headlights and adjustable shocks. The shocks are expensive to replace. The Barents blue is a beautiful color. I an not a fan of the light Sandstone interior. Check brakes, check for leaks in drive train components, battery may be original.

My 2007 S80 V8 has 76,000 miles. It's a solid reliable car. I changed all the drive train fluids at ~ 67000 miles.

Registered
I found a few V8s in my area and wanted to go take a look soon but was curious if there was anything I should stay away from or make sure a certain service was completed. Most of the cars in my area are around 100k. Basically are there any issues to keep in mind with an '08 S80 V8.
Look for maintenance records - should have been a big service at 75K or so including spark plugs. The really big service isn't until 150K though.
A good one should be good for 250K+ miles relatively trouble-free.

Post some links to the ads of the cars you're looking at for more specific guidance!

Look for one with the sport package (07-08) and/or executive package (09-10).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I want a tan interior, rather tired of black. This sat if not sooner I will be stopping by to take a look. The service indicates it did have its battery replaced around 80-100k, mostly tires in the later millage. I'm looking forward to poking around under the car. I certainly want to check for leaks in the struts and drive train. I also plan on taking a look at the atf.

What else aside form plugs should be done at 75k? TB and WP?

Warpedcow- Very nice S80 I was a little unsure of the color but with the tint and other touches the car looks great. Also how do you like the rear sway?

Registered
The IPD S80 rear sway bar reduces the body roll. Recommended addition.
I'm pleased with the sway bar after the rear sway arms change. Mine is a 2007 and had the fabricated swing arms.

Registered
Does a sway bar upgrade change anything else than body roll? Sounds interesting but I wouldn't want it to be at the expense of comfort.

Registered
Adding the IPD rear sway bar will not effect driving comfort in a straight line. When cornering, the sway bar is twisted to reduce body roll (leaning). The larger IPD bar will add stiffness to the rear suspension in roll only. Hitting a bump with one rear wheel will transfer some slight effect to the opposite rear wheel. The change to the IPD rear bar is incremental, meaning a slight change. If I could have ordered a larger diameter rear bar, stiffer bar, I would have. The improvement is worth the $. My opinion.

Registered

Registered
Does a sway bar upgrade change anything else than body roll? Sounds interesting but I wouldn't want it to be at the expense of comfort.
Does not make it less comfortable, just flattens the car more in corners with less understeer.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had a rear sway on my legend made it handle much better. I would anticipate that being completed with in a month or so of buying the car.

I'm going this sat to check out the one in WC that i linked too. Anything else I should take a look for?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I just picked this up last night

overall a very clean car. just has a few issues to work out and im good. Ill post better pics later

-TPMS service sounds like a sensor battery
-bulp position but the head lamps to swivel
-rear driver side window does not auto down.
-Driver seat memory control has come off
-Rear view mirror has started to delaminate.

otherwise. solid car for 125k

Registered
Rear view mirror~look up leaking mirror on the BMW forums. Had it happen on my M Roadster. The liquid will damage the interior of the car. Enjoy.

Registered
I have the same Continental tires on my S80. Nice quiet tire. Consider changing the drive train fluids, angle gear, Haldex and filter, and rear differential. Flush brake system and inspect pads/rotors. Nice solid cars.

Registered
The automatic power windows can easily be recalibrated. Run the window down a bit, then pull and hold it until it closes and then keep holding for another 3-4 seconds. I think a quiet clinking/light thunking sound can be heard and it'll be done.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks guys

The mirror will be replaced very soon. as for the rear window that now works as you said just needed a little use. Car is going in on thursday for pa inspection. it will need front pads soon. and we are going to be looking at the fluids as well. Im sure everything needs to be changed.

First wash

Registered
overall a very clean car. just has a few issues to work out and im good. Ill post better pics later

-TPMS service sounds like a sensor battery
-bulp position but the head lamps to swivel
-rear driver side window does not auto down.
-Driver seat memory control has come off
-Rear view mirror has started to delaminate.

otherwise. solid car for 125k
Position Light Bulb Failure is probably a tail-light failure.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts