SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car:
99 Volvo S70 base (n/a) with automatic transmission, no modifications, 195/60/15 tires on steel rims and 120,000 miles-133,000 miles. Always use regular octane and 10w40 partial synthetic Valvoline MaxLife.
Best MPG was 32.8MPG

30.1mpg
29.6mpg
26.7mpg
27.6mpg
26.9mpg
28.2mpg
32.8mpg - 6/28/08 (experimented never exceeded 60mph and avoided going below 50mph, drafting, cruise control, no traffic, etc.)
27.5mpg
26.6mpg
28.3mpg
26.7mpg
(calculated dividing miles over gallons at pump. I don't have a trip computer)
Driving around with a heavier foot and I get 25mpg. Mostly commuting on state highways with traffic lights. Post your mpg along with the engine, transmission, mileage, tires and modifications.

I'm interested in T5 and GLT as I am considering upgrading to a turbo. N/A are welcome to post to compare.

Modified by zpmada at 8:36 PM 5-13-2009

·
Registered
16,979 Posts
lol man this thread makes me feel sad
98R - bunch of stuff done 23highway 18around town .
12 when I drive like a retard lol

·
Registered
1998 V70 T5 with factory m56h; 18t, Green injectors, 50% e85
2,458 Posts
Re: (Chilled Man)

Freeway only, at 70-75mph = 27mpg (+/- 1 mpg).

Mixed driving (mostly city), the trip computer usually ends up around 20 or 21mpg.

·
Registered
661 Posts
In town: 23
Highway: 30-33

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Re: (Chilled Man)

Quote, originally posted by Chilled Man »
...98R - bunch of stuff done 23highway 18around town. 12 when I drive like a retard lol

I'm in the same boat - 98T5M "bunch of stuff done", 24hwy & just under 16 around town. I don't know if I 'drive like a retard', but I see the posted speed limits as 'suggested speed limits', and I take it VERY personally when someone tries to pass (BTW: I have NEVER been passed but have had all kinds of takers from Z's to 'Stangs to 'roadsters').

·
Registered
372 Posts
I don't honestly know. I drive mostly on the highway and "like a retard" ALL the time
So I get about 550 KMs per tank.

·
Registered
535 Posts
when i switched from uh... non premium to premium, i noticed a 2mpg increase over a period of about 3 tanks. i am usually a town driver, with significant amount of traffic, and i manage to get about 18.6 mpg, highway is about 24-25

·
Registered
569 Posts
Re: Post your MPG thread (zpmada)

24.7 MPG AVG, round trip to work 65 miles with moderate Traffic with Occasional stops, I have a T5 manual, and I love to floor it when I can

That is my AVG for my last 10k miles.

·
Registered
43 Posts
2000 S70 GLT SE driven 99.9% in town always using name brand premium fuel, 129K miles - 19.10 to 19.80. When driven on long trips historically the mileage has been from 24 to 26.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Re: (justice)

City Avg: 17, Highway: 25. Always use 91 Octane, 222,000 miles, Stage III kit.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Re: (PM)

comin back to college i reset my car right before i left... got back here and checked it i was doin 75 ish the whole way and got 29.7 mpg. i put in the best dinosaur love juice and i do drive "like that" sometimes but still i get redic mileage. better than i thought. now imagine if i slowed down i might be crushin my already amost 30 mpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: (KurT5)

ya'll are suckers getting low 20's and high teens for gas mileage. I always love when people also say when Im driving like and idiot it get like 10mpg....why drive like that then?

my last tank 50/50 city highway I got 28.9mpg...that was calculated with a brain not the little display on the car. tank before that 28.4 tank before that 28.2

Im usually always around 26 at the lowest average to 30mpg over the course of a whole tank. only time it ever dropped before 27 was when the weather was super crappy/snowy which always causes crap gas mileage.

anyways these numbers are from a 99 S70 T5 automatic, only mods are K&N drop in and an IPD TCV. I'd hate myself if i drove a base model or even a GLT and was getting low 20's. some people really need to learn to drive to get better gas mileage...and it doesnt involve driving slow either, I get on it all the time, then once your at speed watch your throttle pressure. you can literally be going the same speed not accelerating or decellerating with a throttle range of like 15-20% the lighter you are on the accelerator at this point the better fuel economy your gonna get. here is a tip put your trip computer on the CURRENT fuel consumption...the one that constantly changes. when your cruising at speed watch that number, pull back a touch of the gas watch that number jump, watch your speedo not even move. just for reference when im cruising at like 65 or so that number usually reads somewhere from 30-45mpg

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Re: (covolvoT5)

Quote, originally posted by covolvoT5 »
.... I always love when people also say when Im driving like and idiot it get like 10mpg....why drive like that then?

Some of us participated in this "Post your MPG thread" just to 'chime in' & out of curiosity, to see what these 10-11 yr old cars/wagons are capable of.

Gas mileage is the LAST thing on my mind - for any of my cars. Gas could go up to $10 per gallon, and I would still mod the heck out of my cars and mash the pedal. My MAG sucks as much gas as beer
flowing through a bong in the same amount of time, but the only thing I care about is how fast the other car fades away in my RVM

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Re: (covolvoT5)

covolvoT5 said:
ya'll are suckers getting low 20's and high teens for gas mileage......why drive like that then?]

Suckers? Hardly. Its called spirited driving, and enjoying our modified cars. Some of us don't care about gas mileage, or the cost per gallon. If I was concerned about mpg, I wouldn't be driving a turbo, or a volvo, let alone a modified stage III volvo.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Re: (PM)

i jsut drove back to college today... around 75 mph on cruise for the whole 2 hrs and i got a soli 28.7 so im not upset and i did some stuff nothin serious yet just keep on top of your sh*t and you get good results. I have a 95 jeep with 250k on it and i was pullin a solid 20 mpg just the best thing to do is keep an eye on everything

·
Registered
884 Posts
Re: (painthunter9)

aha turns out my odometer is off according to my brothers GPS so when i thought i was doing 75 i was doing 80
so yea haha guess i gotta knock the cruise back a hair seeing as im a shiney red car that cops love

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
With a 160,000 miles on my AWD wagon I was getting about 27-28 mpg consistently doing highway driving post-manual swap using a stock T5 M ECU. Majority around the town driving I hardly do anymore but then the mileage was closer to 20 mpg. Quite good I think.

Now with the Wothrline custom ECU map I think the gas mileage will be about the same on the highway but I didn't drive enough over Christmas while I was home so I will have to do some averaging this summer when I'm back in the States again.
Current mods are in my sig. and they were true with the stock T5 map as well minus the R manifold.

Btw, to "covolvoT5," congratulations on managing to calculate your average gas mileage with your brain! That's terrific...you even managed to do it to the nearest tenth of a mpg. ;-)

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Post your MPG thread (zpmada)

This is so silly, the NA's always will get good mileage and the turbos will NOT.
Plus the manual, turbo or non turbo get 3-5 MPG better. These (auto) trannies are HORRIBLE for mileage.
I used to get over 30 MPG on the highway in a modded T5M

Yesterday I averaged about 22+ MPG to Carlisle and back (2000 V70R)
while definitely not light footing it.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Re: Post your MPG thread (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
...I used to get over 30 MPG on the highway in a modded T5M

Yesterday I averaged about 22+ MPG to Carlisle and back (2000 V70R)
while definitely not light footing it.

I guess I should clarify, my "highway" miles include me (170lbs), 2 teen sons (160 + 150 lbs), 2 lg, loaded ice chests, 3-4 suitcases, fishing gear, etc, and all of our weekend get-a-ways include mountain driving.

I do remember when I first picked up my T5M, it had only an ECU & exhaust & got "over 30" as well.

I guess some mods might actually improve MPG (free-flowing intake, etc), but in my case, I'm running a BIG turbo, P&P anything we could, angle valve job, Walbro, a few other things & proper tune, and all these goodies seem to make me 'mash the pedal' frequently.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts