SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The shop I bought the car from installed an EST intake before I picked it up. Does anything need to be done to seal the top of the open box off from the open engine bay or does the hood blanket do that effectively?

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
That's a Hot Air Intake right now unfortunately. I had the EST open air intake on my 70 and loved the sound the CBV made when I let off the gas.

To make it a little more efficient you would have to block off the area around the filter.

Cleaning the filter would be a good idea when you get the chance.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Re: Post your intake pics! Let's see what everyone is running. (S60inToronto)

Something like this might be better. Enclosing the area behind the headlight, near the fender, as well as the area surrounding the back side will act to channel the air where you want it to go. Make it tall enough to seal to the blanket on the hood and you have a more efficient mod.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (sh8kdwn)

LOL! That filter was installed at the beginning of December....looks bad in the crappy pic but engine bay is not as dirty as it appears.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (sh8kdwn)

Quote, originally posted by sh8kdwn »
Mine:

Which intake brand is that? Does the enclosure come as part of the kit?

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Re: (S60inToronto)

Quote, originally posted by S60inToronto »
Which intake brand is that? Does the enclosure come as part of the kit?
It's a stock airbox with what looks to be a K&N filter.
Add-a-window kit available at Lowe's and Home Depot.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Re: (stormchasin_racin)

I have mentioned it before and have not done it yet, but I plan on reinstalling my EST intake and drilling a hole big enough to fit my R Kelly CAI into. The combo will not solve all problems, but it will be a bit more functional than using just the EST intake. A little cooler air cannot hurt things.

One of the major reasons for using the R Kelly style intake was to get rid of that negative pressure, or vacuum as it was called, in the air box. An open air filter type intake gets rid of that problem right away.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.