SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an interesting issue that I've had for almost a year now. It's almost directly caused by my load bars, BUT only with running a wind deflector attached to them. Essentially what happens is that while I drive down the freeway (it only happens at highway speeds), I can HEAR and if I put my hand up to it, feel my sunroof glass flexing from the air pressure above it. I'm almost certain that turbulence is being created right above the sunroof from going over the deflector. If stopped and I get out and place one hand on top of and one hand under the glass, it has some vertical play to it at the back of the glass, about a couple millimeters or so. I'm afraid sometimes that either my glass will shatter from this, or be ripped completely from off the car. I know the easy solution is to take off the bars when not in use. But how can I go about checking and making sure that the glass is securely tightened to the track and itself. The glass moves and functions completely normal. Has anyone else that has load bars WITH an air deflector experienced this?

·
Registered
16,854 Posts
I have not. I have this setup currently, and my wife thinks she looks like a badass with it all on there, so I left it on. Happy wife, happy life.
Is it potentially an adjustment or something is loose in the sunroof setup itself? Mine's an 05, so not sure if anything at all changed...
Forgive the dirty car - this is from January. The board attachments are now in the cabinet in the garage.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not. I have this setup currently, and my wife thinks she looks like a badass with it all on there, so I left it on. Happy wife, happy life.
Is it potentially an adjustment or something is loose in the sunroof setup itself? Mine's an 05, so not sure if anything at all changed...
Forgive the dirty car - this is from January. The board attachments are now in the cabinet in the garage.
This is helpful, thank you! I'm in the same boat, I think it looks pretty bad ass with them on also. I believe I have the 44" width deflector, is yours that same size? I think that at the least something is loose. I'm sure being so could amplify any affects wind turbulence has on the glass. I'll flip through my Haynes to see what I can find. I really should learn that part of VIDA as well... Thanks again for your reply.

Sent from my Huawei Mate 9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,854 Posts
No clue - got it used from JPPetersonATL at Carlisle. Want me to measure it? From bottom corner to bottom corner?
This is helpful, thank you! I'm in the same boat, I think it looks pretty bad ass with them on also. I believe I have the 44" width deflector, is yours that same size? I think that at the least something is loose. I'm sure being so could amplify any affects wind turbulence has on the glass. I'll flip through my Haynes to see what I can find. I really should learn that part of VIDA as well... Thanks again for your reply.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No clue - got it used from JPPetersonATL at Carlisle. Want me to measure it? From bottom corner to bottom corner?
Nah, you don't have to. Mine goes from Mount bracket to mount bracket work no gaps on the side. Wonder if narrower ones prevent turbulence by allowing some air through. Just something I pondered.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I basically ended up pulling back the flex siding and tightening the 2 rear T25 bolts which normally allow for the height adjustment of the glass. I tightened them down as much as I could with a screwdriver. So far it's working well with no issues.

·
Registered
16,854 Posts
That’s good to know!
I basically ended up pulling back the flex siding and tightening the 2 rear T25 bolts which normally allow for the height adjustment of the glass. I tightened them down as much as I could with a screwdriver. So far it's working well with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That’s good to know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can still feel the glass flexing some when I drive, so there's definitely a turbulence pressure upon it from the airflow coming over the wind deflector... But at least tightening those 2 bolts helped out a bunch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts